Reducing Liver/Pancreas Fat

WarrenB

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,

I've been reading quite a lot about the much hyped Newcastle Diet. The basis of this diet is that by reducing the fat in your liver/pancreas you can increase insulin sensitivity again. Hoo rah!

The average weight loss on the 8 week diet is around 15kg. What I don't understand is if I lost this weight on a more conventional diet why wouldn't the fat in my liver/pancreas decrease by the same amount? Is there somethiing specific in the intensity of the Newcastle diet that means the liver and pancreas fat is reduced further than by conventional diets?

Thanking you in advance for your answers.

Warren

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As we all different, results are varied with controlled diets.It must be difficult to make these so called claims yet alone prove them.
I think your correct not to understand these reduction claims regarding liver/pancreas fat ,I do not think there will be a difference if you go conventional.
Whatever controlled diet you are on, just make sure you have plenty of water to help cleanse you liver etc;

Reactions: 2 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,

I've been reading quite a lot about the much hyped Newcastle Diet. The basis of this diet is that by reducing the fat in your liver/pancreas you can increase insulin sensitivity again. Hoo rah!

The average weight loss on the 8 week diet is around 15kg. What I don't understand is if I lost this weight on a more conventional diet why wouldn't the fat in my liver/pancreas decrease by the same amount? Is there somethiing specific in the intensity of the Newcastle diet that means the liver and pancreas fat is reduced further than by conventional diets?

Thanking you in advance for your answers.

Warren

Hi @WarrenB
There are a few forum members who have been successful Newcastle dieters. I am one. Many more members advocate the Low Carb High Fat, method. I can only speak from personal experience, and would never try to discredit anyone else's chosen diet, or suggest my way was the only way.

For me, the Newcastle diet did, indeed, have the effect of getting my blood glucose back into non-diabetic levels very rapidly, and I have remained that way now for 3 years. I think it was the vast reduction of calorie intake that sorted my pancreas and liver fat. I had not been able to do this any other way, and had tried many different eating plans before.

The Newcastle diet was devised to mimic the response after bariatric surgery, as it had been observed that patients having this surgery very quickly had normal BG readings. The hypothesis was that it was the drastic reduction in the amount of food consumed that caused this change. For me, Newcastle diet was a preferable option to surgery. It seems to have worked for me, so far.

Hope this helps answer your question.

Reactions: 4 people

WarrenB

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @WarrenB
There are a few forum members who have been successful Newcastle dieters. I am one. Many more members advocate the Low Carb High Fat, method. I can only speak from personal experience, and would never try to discredit anyone else's chosen diet, or suggest my way was the only way.

For me, the Newcastle diet did, indeed, have the effect of getting my blood glucose back into non-diabetic levels very rapidly, and I have remained that way now for 3 years. I think it was the vast reduction of calorie intake that sorted my pancreas and liver fat. I had not been able to do this any other way, and had tried many different eating plans before.

The Newcastle diet was devised to mimic the response after bariatric surgery, as it had been observed that patients having this surgery very quickly had normal BG readings. The hypothesis was that it was the drastic reduction in the amount of food consumed that caused this change. For me, Newcastle diet was a preferable option to surgery. It seems to have worked for me, so far.

Hope this helps answer your question.

Hi Pipp, thanks for detailing your own experience. Its great to think we're not necessarily destined to walk the diabetes road and that with some hard work we can regain some, if not all, control of our bodies again! May I ask how long you were diabetic before trying the diet?

Kind regards

Warren

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Pipp, thanks for detailing your own experience. Its great to think we're not necessarily destined to walk the diabetes road and that with some hard work we can regain some, if not all, control of our bodies again! May I ask how long you were diabetic before trying the diet?

Kind regards

Warren
Yes, I had been diagnosed 6 years before I started. I weighed 144 kg. i had been trying to lose weight following NHS guidelines, but only managed to get 7kg off in 3years before Newcastle diet. I am disabled by a spinal injury but exercise in water.

WarrenB

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, I had been diagnosed 6 years before I started. I weighed 144 kg. i had been trying to lose weight following NHS guidelines, but only managed to get 7kg off in 3years before Newcastle diet. I am disabled by a spinal injury but exercise in water.

Sounds like you've had a tough time of it. Welldone for getting your blood sugars under control!

Thanks for your reply.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sounds like you've had a tough time of it. Welldone for getting your blood sugars under control!

Thanks for your reply.
Thanks

I forgot to add that I lost 42kg on Newcastle diet. That was done in a 9 week stint, followed by a 3 month break, then another 6 week stint. I have regained some of that, as I have been even more immobile due to surgery, and not watching what I have been eating. Blood glucose still fine though, and now I am recovering from surgery, I am working on the weight loss by increased exercise and eating moderately.