Why meters can't tell us our blood sugar levels.

C

catherinecherub

We hear a lot about meter accuracy on the forum with some people testing with more than one meter and being surprised that the two readings are not even close.

This article is worth reading as to why meters cannot tell us our blood sugar levels.

I thought it was interesting and was surprised to see that Tyenol, (paracetemol) could make a difference to a reading.

Home vs. Hospital Testing
Most home meters measure glucose in so-called “whole blood” (blood as it comes out of our body). Whole blood consists of a liquid, called plasma, and cells, mainly red cells. The percentage of red cells is called the hematocrit. The standard reference lab test measures glucose in plasma (about half to two thirds of the volume of blood).

Home meters are calibrated to give results as though they are measuring glucose in plasma only (called “plasma-equivalent” results). That said, to some degree we’re already on two different playing fields. Second, laboratory tests eliminate virtually all variation, except for manufacturing variation, from their testing.

Some factors have to do with the meter, some with the strip and some, with us PWDs.

In fact, the biggest contributor to inaccuracy is the strips. Here’s the process as simply as I can put it: glucose interacts with an enzyme on the strip, releasing electrons. Another agent on the strip, called the “mediator,” turns these electrons into an electrical current. The greater the glucose concentration, the greater the current. That current then speeds through the strip. Finally, an algorithm (formula) in the meter converts the current into a concentration of glucose. And voila! You get a number.

But there’s a long list of factors that affect meter/strip accuracy:

• Meter calibration, coding, enzymes and mathematical algorithms (all different in different meters)
  • Variable enzymes in strips
  • Mediator oxidation and strip freshness/age
  • Strips differ somewhat, lot to lot, with somewhat different precision ranges for each lot
  • Strips differ in well size (the space in a strip that holds the blood)
  • Interfering substances in one’s blood from medications (something as simple as Tylenol), and every manufacturer’s nightmare, hematocrit that percentage of red blood cells in blood, which can interfere with the electrical current
  • Environmental conditions: temperature, climate, altitude
  • Lack of meter maintenance
  • User error – forgetting to code the meter or coding it incorrectly; not washing hands before testing (there may be some sugar residue on your fingers or sweat on hands); leaving strips exposed to air too long; or using expired strips

http://www.diabetesmine.com/2012/09/why-meters-cant-tell-us-our-blood-sugar-levels.html

Reactions: 6 people

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
this is frustrating, i rarely test but my wife for some daft reason got me anew meter from the doctors while she was there (long story) so i tested using my nice shiny new meter (nexus rx) i had just washed my hands, i got an 8.2 which is high for me, i squeezed out another drop and got 7.4 another drop from the same hole 6 something and the fourth drop was 5.2 i think, all four drops from the same prick hole within a minute of each, the hole didn't even have time to heal between drops, makes you wonder huh

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Interesting reading Catherine, we don't give much thought that the inaccuracy could be down to the test strip or the meds we might take.

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think the metres sometimes are a bit funny and I have done same thing test twice within seconds the sugar levels drop but I think they are not bad to give you an indication. I had my blood test few days ago and it was fasting, I did in my home meter and I was 5.9 or 5.8 and the blood report was 6 so I think you definitely get a rough idea.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Suee
this is frustrating, i rarely test but my wife for some daft reason got me anew meter from the doctors while she was there (long story) so i tested using my nice shiny new meter (nexus rx) i had just washed my hands, i got an 8.2 which is high for me, i squeezed out another drop and got 7.4 another drop from the same hole 6 something and the fourth drop was 5.2 i think, all four drops from the same prick hole within a minute of each, the hole didn't even have time to heal between drops, makes you wonder huh
Squeezing may alter the reading, just applying pressure once changed readings by 10% .
http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/diabetes/expert-blog/testing-blood-sugar/bgp-20056579
Most articls like the one below seem to suggest that this is because, when you squeeze you add more interstitial fluid to the mix.
http://www.diabetesselfmanagement.c...n_to_check_and_why_getting_accurate_readings/

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I always base my meter choice on studies of their accuracy. To me, that's by far the most important requriement. I based my latest choice on this, which showed the Abbott Freestyle Lite to be the most accurate out of the studied meters. Previously, I had the MyLife Pura, which is superior to the Abbott one in terms of accuracy, but the meters I had kept breaking.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
there is also another paper here it is slightly older but many of the meters are still in production.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3570840/
I've just looked at my one, (BG star) it is one of those that they couldn't test because it used a different method so they had to use manufacturers data.
It is the best of it's type but only 62% of results above 75mg/dl are within 5%
It's smaller relative the iBG star only manages that 36% of the time.

Only 27/34 of those that they could completely evaluate fulfilled the present criteria . (surely they all should, they all had a CE mark, one that I've fortunately never heard of managed the criteria only 72% of the time)
Only 18/34 fulfilled the proposed stricter criteria.
What we don't have any figures for are the newer cheaper models.

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Maybe we're all wasting our time doing this 6-8 times a day. It would make a good painting, cartoon, opera, ballet or circus act, but there we were, hoping it might improve our control....

alaska

As a type 1, I'm glad to have a BG meter, regardless of some accuracy issues.

Generally the meters I've had seem to have served a decent reflection of my levels and have supported, rather than hindered, me in achieving good control.

I think the message we need to take is that at times the meter can be significantly wrong so also take into account your own judgement. For instance, if you feel low but get a normal result, it may be best to treat it as a low to be on the safe side (for people on insulin and otherwise at risk of dangerous hypos).

Also, if you are at risk of hypos, having a spare meter can sometimes be useful. I recently had a CGM trial and that showed that I'd had more than one low results whereby my meter had shown a normal result. In those cases, I'd felt hypo and not fully trusted the meter and took some sugar to be on the safe side. Seeing the results print out showed this to have been a wise decision.

The other learning is, try to recognise your hypo signs as well as you possibly can.

Reactions: 7 people

Scardoc

I generally record my 90 day averages on the meter around the time of a blood test for Hba1c. From 6yrs experience the meter normally works out around +0.7. Not a great guide but it's very consistent so I know the meter hasn't changed over time.

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Interesting reading Catherine, we don't give much thought that the inaccuracy could be down to the test strip

Several of us have noted a possible systematic increase of around 0.5 mmol/l in a batch number of SD Codefree strips. True or not, and however much credence we put on spot readings, they are really only good for longer term trends where the inaccuracies average themselves out.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I'd beg to differ with the view that they are only good for long term averages. I think that for the most part, spot monitoring isn't always that helpful, but trend monitoring over a short period is extremely helpful. Let's face it. As a type one, knowing that you are at 6 or 10 mmol/l is important, and even with a variance of 10%, that range difference is important.

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
I said longer, not long ...

I think we're on the same page though.

Adele99

Now I'm left wondering what effect hematocrit has on results, as I have a low hematocrit level. Does it make it higher or lower , as the article didn't say.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Checking the manual for my meter, it does come with a disclaimer.

In addition, if you have eaten recently, the blood glucose level from a finger prick can be up to 3.9 mmol/L (70 mg/dL ) higher than blood drawn from a vein (venous sample) used for a lab test *3.

The reference is
*3: Sacks, D.B.: “Carbohydrates. “ Burtis, C.A., and Ashwood, E.R.( ed.), Tietz Textbook of Clinical Chemistry. Philadelphia: W.B. Saunders Company (1994), 959.

Anyone know anything about it?

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
BG meters and strips may be inaccurate yet some do make a reading which is very close on average to the hospital test.
Whatever meter we use they are the guide most of use to control our diet.
What @catherinecherub has revealed shows interesting points regarding Tylenol, not to mention the addiction to codeine when it is added to these and other drugs.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If I go a period of low carbs my numbers clearly respond and if I have a carbie dinner they shot up... simples.
attached is the last 6 weeks of testing, I do a morning, before dinner, 1 and 2 hours after... my before dinner is pretty tight, the rest I think are reflections of what I've eaten... they might not be accurate but they seem to be precise.... still learning how to do it though.

Attachments

• BG with time.png
    BG with time.png
    109.8 KB · Views: 218

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Checking the manual for my meter, it does come with a disclaimer.

In addition, if you have eaten recently, the blood glucose level from a finger prick can be up to 3.9 mmol/L (70 mg/dL ) higher than blood drawn from a vein (venous sample) used for a lab test *3.

The reference is
*3: Sacks, D.B.: “Carbohydrates. “ Burtis, C.A., and Ashwood, E.R.( ed.), Tietz Textbook of Clinical Chemistry. Philadelphia: W.B. Saunders Company (1994), 959.

Anyone know anything about it?
Venous blood and capillary blood are relatively compatible when fasting but are very different post prandially.
Blood circulates. Arterial blood supplies the capillaries, cells take in nutrients including glucose and then venous blood drains the blood away from the capillaries.
At fasting, arterial blood will be marginally the highest but after eating, arterial blood will contain higher amounts of glucose, than capillaries and they will have higher amounts than venous blood. (of course we don't normally have arterial blood tested)
There are lots of studies showing that on a glucose challenge the difference can be considerable (venous lower than capillary)
(sorry can't cite because internet access is snail like tonight; a big storm going on in the distance)

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Capillary blood samples, ie those you get from a finger prick, are not as accurate as a venous blood sample. In turn, venous blood samples are not as accurate as arterial samples. However, capillary blood samples are quick and easy and cheap and if you don't like having a needle jabbed into your vein, you'll scream at one being inserted into an artery. It is painfull and to be avoided.

"Skin puncture or capillary blood collection involves puncturing the dermis layer of the skin to access the capillary beds which run through the subcutaneous layer of the skin. Blood obtained via skin puncture is a mixture of undetermined proportions of blood from arterioles, venules, capillaries, plus interstitial and intracellular fluids. The proportion of arterial blood is greater than that of venous blood, due to the increased pressure in the arterioles leading into the capillaries versus the pressure in the venules exiting the capillaries."

There is little or no point in making meters very accurate when there are so many inaccuracies in the quality of blood sample.

Also, when you eat, or if your body puts glucose nto your system or if you burn some by exercise, it takes about an hour for your blood to mix thoroughly and stabilise

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Suee
Squeezing may alter the reading, just applying pressure once changed readings by 10% .
http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/diabetes/expert-blog/testing-blood-sugar/bgp-20056579
Most articls like the one below seem to suggest that this is because, when you squeeze you add more interstitial fluid to the mix.
http://www.diabetesselfmanagement.c...n_to_check_and_why_getting_accurate_readings/

I think I would struggle to get blood if I didn't squeeze.... or is my setting at 2 too low?