Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
Susiespearish come and join us on Sporty forty , , that's exactly what we are trying to do for each other on there in a non judgemental light hearted supportive way.

Reactions: 6 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi. Here's a brief update. I had my first counselling session today, and I like the counsellor. The next one is in 2 weeks time. I have been taking anti-depressants for 3 weeks and do feel better on them. My hairloss has improved and there are signs that hair is beginning to grow back now. I was weighed yesterday and I have lost the few pounds I gained in the month or so before I stopped posting regularly. So that's basically the summary so far. I'll let you know when I have more news.:)

Reactions: 11 people

connie104

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Glad counselling went well and you liked her that must be a worry off your mind. All looks like it's going in the right direction x

Reactions: 2 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Good Zand, that's all encouraging.

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It's hard to ask for help. We think we 'should' be able to cope with it all but we just can't. Do what you need to do x

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I thought it was time I posted again. The last couple of months have been a bit 'up and down' for me. I've had 5 counselling sessions so far. The first 4 were excellent but the most recent one was quite upsetting.

Anyhow I have found renewed motivation again, largely thanks to some wonderful recipes and food ideas that were put on a thread here. So yesterday I started back with LCHF 'properly'. I didn't exactly fall off the wagon as such, it was just that counselling took priority for a while. Now I'm back with the eating plan and regular exercise. I haven't weighed yet, but when I do I'll let you know whether there has been any progress or not.

I have also been re-inspired by the following video:-

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/an-interesting-low-carb-video.67446/

Have a look and leave your thoughts if you wish

Thanks everyone for helping me get this far :)

Reactions: 12 people

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Hi, I thought it was time I posted again. The last couple of months have been a bit 'up and down' for me. I've had 5 counselling sessions so far. The first 4 were excellent but the most recent one was quite upsetting.

Anyhow I have found renewed motivation again, largely thanks to some wonderful recipes and food ideas that were put on a thread here. So yesterday I started back with LCHF 'properly'. I didn't exactly fall off the wagon as such, it was just that counselling took priority for a while. Now I'm back with the eating plan and regular exercise. I haven't weighed yet, but when I do I'll let you know whether there has been any progress or not.

I have also been re-inspired by the following video:-

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/an-interesting-low-carb-video.67446/

Have a look and leave your thoughts if you wish

Thanks everyone for helping me get this far :)
Hugs @zand

Reactions: 3 people

Gudrun

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hmmm.. probably a lot less than stuff I like
Like you, Zand, I had to dig deep to find my motivation again and logged on to resume my HFLC way of eating. I started in April, made good progress and then (for reasons I still haven't figured out) abandoned it and went back to eating just as I did before. Slowly my weight went back up to the same as it was before I started, and my morning bs levels increased as well - until I was exactly where I was before I started in April.

So, now, I will go back to HFLC and try to lose at least some of my excess weight. I just checked and my BMI is 44.5 - way too much.

Reactions: 8 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Good luck Gudrun - the main thing is that you have got back on the wagon.

Reactions: 7 people

Gudrun

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hmmm.. probably a lot less than stuff I like
Good luck Gudrun - the main thing is that you have got back on the wagon.
Thanks, Sanguine. Why is it that we always behave as though we expect to live forever?

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Like you, Zand, I had to dig deep to find my motivation again and logged on to resume my HFLC way of eating. I started in April, made good progress and then (for reasons I still haven't figured out) abandoned it and went back to eating just as I did before. Slowly my weight went back up to the same as it was before I started, and my morning bs levels increased as well - until I was exactly where I was before I started in April.

So, now, I will go back to HFLC and try to lose at least some of my excess weight. I just checked and my BMI is 44.5 - way too much.

I've done more or less the same thing Gudrun, and I've just started to put weight back on with the result my knees are less happy and my walking is more laboured - that's with only putting a couple of pounds on to my poor old osteoarthritic knees.

Zand, thank you sooo much for posting the video. It was very interesting and motivational. Since I tried low carbing I always felt I couldn't do the high fat bit. That I would definitely put on weight. Years of being told to avoid fat had me scared. I am going to get back on the wagon, but I'm going to try not worrying about low fat this time. I know you don't go for high fat yourself, and neither did I, but I am prepared to give it a go and see if that helps me stay on the wagon. I'd really like to see the dial on the scales somewhere in the 15 st areas before Christmas!

Reactions: 3 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@RosieLKH you are right, I have had some problems with low carbing in the past and the high fat element didn't always seem to work for me. Like you though, I'm planning on giving it another go. I think I know where I went wrong, so I'm starting to do LCHF again 'properly'. It's been on the cards for sometime, but I needed to sort out mental/emotional issues first. I thought I would be doing this in a few months time, but I have been spurred on by various comments on this forum, so I have decided to start again now. It's so good to hear that you are trying the same thing. I reintroduced butter, cream, lard into my diet some years ago, I don't think I was having enough of them though. So here goes! I would love to be 15 stones by Christmas too! Are you getting back to your own thread too?

I wasn't going to declare this publicly until you posted on here today, so I had better stick with it now.:)

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!

I've done more or less the same thing Gudrun, and I've just started to put weight back on with the result my knees are less happy and my walking is more laboured - that's with only putting a couple of pounds on to my poor old osteoarthritic knees.

Zand, thank you sooo much for posting the video. It was very interesting and motivational. Since I tried low carbing I always felt I couldn't do the high fat bit. That I would definitely put on weight. Years of being told to avoid fat had me scared. I am going to get back on the wagon, but I'm going to try not worrying about low fat this time. I know you don't go for high fat yourself, and neither did I, but I am prepared to give it a go and see if that helps me stay on the wagon. I'd really like to see the dial on the scales somewhere in the 15 st areas before Christmas!
Hugs to you all! I am plateauing. I put 3lbs on during my birthday and I am now fluctuating between 12st 6-7. Am hoping it will soon start again. Getting a bit fed up but having had this happen before so am just trying to "weight" it out! Sorry about the pun but I couldn't resist!

Reactions: 5 people

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@RosieLKH you are right, I have had some problems with low carbing in the past and the high fat element didn't always seem to work for me. Like you though, I'm planning on giving it another go. I think I know where I went wrong, so I'm starting to do LCHF again 'properly'. It's been on the cards for sometime, but I needed to sort out mental/emotional issues first. I thought I would be doing this in a few months time, but I have been spurred on by various comments on this forum, so I have decided to start again now. It's so good to hear that you are trying the same thing. I reintroduced butter, cream, lard into my diet some years ago, I don't think I was having enough of them though. So here goes! I would love to be 15 stones by Christmas too! Are you getting back to your own thread too?

I wasn't going to declare this publicly until you posted on here today, so I had better stick with it now.:)

Well how about that for a snap, Zand? Yes, I should go back to posting on my thread as that got me started so well. I stopped because I felt I was being self-indulgent in pointlessly boring everyone by posting about me and my eating!

I should realise by now that it's when I participate in the forum that I feel supported and achieve success. Reading about what other people are doing makes me see I can do it too. Your posts do inspire me, especially as you come to terms with emotional issues. I suppose many of us have our own issues to deal with. I know I do, but that video, and some other recent reading, made me really think about the fact that being obese is not all because I'm weak willed. I think there are hormonal issues linked to carbs and my brain not switching to any acknowledgement of being satiated.

Anyway, I'm rambling again, and I should do that on my own thread - LOL. Yes, I'm back on. I'm going to get into the 15 area before Christmas!

Oh, and another snap - I stopped having any margarine years ago and only use butter or olive oil, and recently coconut oil. I couldn't stand the idea of how processed marg is - anything that has to be dyed to make it look good enough to eat is not for me. I have reduced any processed foods to a minimum these days.

Reactions: 4 people