New to insulin pump

Bodders

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there,
I'm new to the forum and just about to start using an insulin pump for the first time. Had a consultation today and feeling a bit daunted about getting the insulin ratios correct, How have others found it - do you soon find you get the hang of it? Any useful tips? Many thanks

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Your ratios will be ptetty much what you are now.

It'll be your basals that will needa few weeks attention to concentrate on.

It soon becomes second nature. I would advise that you take someone with you if poss on instruction day. I did, it just gave me confidence that if I forgot something they would remember. I also was lucky to have back up from a pumper here that really helped me so enormously by daily telephone calls. Within a week I had changed all my basals and was well happy. (Except the faulty sets that were eventually withdrawn!).

My advice is to write everything down now. You should have a clue what bolus ratio's you are on. You should know how many units of insulin you have to do corrections.

Bodders

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks - that helps. They advised the same today - to take someone along - which seems a good idea. I have my bolus ratios recorded but I do quite a bit of sport and it had been sending my levels all over the place so I feel like I've been guessing at everything and now I'm worried about trying to work it all out correctly- hopefully it will all be ok!