Doctors: Please treat me like that medical student who sat in the corner watching....

LancsCarol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Regular housework has to top the list, with nasty manipulative bullies coming a very close second - or maybe they are at the top....
Oh - and computers
Sorry this is going to be a bit of a rant....

I am a university graduate with a good degree. I am also an actuary (which means I spend all day doing statistics and analytics) and have been controlling my diabetes relatively well for 17 years. In short I think I know a thing or two and would really benefit from being treated consistently like a grown up at consultations...

Last time I went for my 6 month consultation (type 1), there was (entirely appropriately) a medical student listening in... the consultant proceeded to spend the next half hour giving me the kiddie version and the medical student the grown up version....

In the end I just got cross and said "please just say to me what you are saying to him - I have a degree from oxford"

I have zero confidence this will be remembered next time....but here's hoping.....
Steven - to quote a famous comedy sketch - you were lucky. You're male and still at work. Try being female and retired. Plus having the "wrong" accent. I have had to seriously consider moving back up North, where the excellent medical professionals whom I met two years ago, around the time of my type 1 diagnosis, did not patronise at all. Can't do much about the age or gender, though.....

Reactions: 3 people

malky39

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I wish my gp practise ws like that - they're utterly dire!

I would not say that about mine, I have recently changed gps I had to go and have a first appointment with the nurse personally i would have though that due to my condition the doctor would have wanted to see me, the only reason I went was so I could get my prescription I will also go for my flu jab but I will I wil never go to my gp for anything to do with my diabetes I put my care in the trust of my DSN who knows me and knows alot more about my condition and what I have tried to do to improve control. I will go as far to say that I will probably never see my GP

this is too difficult two

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry this is going to be a bit of a rant....

I am a university graduate with a good degree. I am also an actuary (which means I spend all day doing statistics and analytics) and have been controlling my diabetes relatively well for 17 years. In short I think I know a thing or two and would really benefit from being treated consistently like a grown up at consultations...

Last time I went for my 6 month consultation (type 1), there was (entirely appropriately) a medical student listening in... the consultant proceeded to spend the next half hour giving me the kiddie version and the medical student the grown up version....

In the end I just got cross and said "please just say to me what you are saying to him - I have a degree from oxford"

I have zero confidence this will be remembered next time....but here's hoping.....[/QUO
:joyful: I used to feel the same when talked to in a patronising way when trying to buy parts for my bike. :cat: Hub used to just grin and walk off, knowing what was coming.
They never made the same mistake twice.
Ok I know I shouldn't. But how often did they make the same mistake.

Jayatkinson94

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My doctor laughed at how high my BG averages were with a medical student once.. Made me feel very stupid!