New and looking for advice about starting uni

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm new to the forum and I have had type 1 for 3 years. I start university next week and I was looking for someone who could tell me about their experiences of having diabetes and being at university. I'm worried about meeting new people and having to explain why I do injections or feeling like I have to hide away because of it. I'm also worried about being in lectures at meal times and having low blood sugar as a consequence of not eating properly. Help!

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Hardly anyone here just now and I'm a T2 so can't help much.
Someone will reply so don't think you're being ignored.
Welcome to a great place.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
welcome, there is at least one girl at uni I know of here
good control, so you don't have lows is important. So you can keep up a hectic schedule of partying and work.
are you on basal bolus, Do you think a low from not eating could need a basal adjustment?
http://www.diabetes-support.org.uk/info/?page_id=120

nikkid

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Lauren- firstly, congratulations on starting uni. I am a year out after a five year degree and i can honestly say that it was the best experience of my life so far.
I sailed through first year diabetes free and was diagnosed in the summer between first and second year after going into a diabetic coma in Egypt (not an experience I would recommend). So unlike you I had already established a friendship group at uni who I was comfortable around.
My advice to you would be to be upfront from the start- especially as there will likely be lots of partying and alcohol consumption. It will be so helpful to have friends who can look out for you especially at these times. And let's face it if you meet people that are funny about the condition then are their opinions worth worrying about?
General advice about starting uni- pace yourself during freshers week and try and eat as healthily as possible, test your sugars as regularly as possible and always have something to eat before going to sleep after a night out!
Oh and also get yourself registered at the local gp as soon as possible so you can continue getting prescriptions as needed

Best of luck (I am so jealous that you have your whole uni experience ahead of you)

Zombiedude

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi.
I am newly diagnosed as Type 2 so cannot relate to the injections side, but I am starting Uni this October and am nervous too!
But, if it helps, knowing a fellow student had diabetes wouldn't change my opnions in any way.
I've worked with a few people who had type 1, some hid it and some didn't. But no one really cared about it other than, "Oh right."
I've never known anyone to have a stigma about it except maybe a few older people who see a needle and think "DRUGS!" but then a few quiet words in their ear seem to enlighten them.

Probably not the advice you were seeking but I thought I would chime in. :)

nikkid

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Also regarding lectures at meal times- I normally would take breakfast biscuits/banana etc into lectures and eat them as needed. I even became so comfortable with my friends that I would inject/test my sugars whilst in lectures x

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Being at University isn't like being at school, you can take drinks or sweets into lectures and won't be told off :)

It's many years since I was at University but not much has changed, just take your injections as normal and if anyone asks just explain that you have diabetes, usually the curiosity dies down in time and your fellow students won't even notice that your taking your injection, but you should always let people know (students/lecturers) about your diabetes just in case of an emergency.

Just have a good time and don't stress about it, Colleges and Universities are used to seeing people with type 1 diabetes come through their doors, good luck and hope all goes well.