really in need of some help!!

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've been diagnosed with type 2 for 4 years now and I still feel like I know nothing about it! I have only just this year been referred to see the dietician but am unable to attend the meetings I was given due to work or distance. I'm thirty years old have been split from my wife for over a year and my new partner is expecting my third child. I just want to be able to get on top of this all so I can be a better dad and partner. I did start off well but my doctor is very popular and I seem to be seeing one of his less enthusiastic colleagues who has said that as a type 2 I should never have been doing my own blood tests and has stopped my prescription for lancets and test sticks and I cannot afford to buy them myself. I feel so out of control and have lately become very poor at taking my meds due too trying to keep on top of my family and work life. I know its sounds pathetic but any tips or support would be appreciated!!!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome to the forum,

Good to see you are now trying to learn more about this disease and are prepared to do something about it. This forum is a great place for advice and support.

Firstly, the doctor is wrong. You do need a meter, we all need a meter. Sadly, most of us have to buy our own. They really are not that expensive. This is the one that comes out as the most cost effective http://www.homehealth-uk.com/medical/blood_glucose_monitor_testing.htm
The strips are very cheap, and if you decide to buy one, we can give you the promotion code to get them even cheaper if you buy 5 or 10 boxes a time. (and you will need a lot if you are to test properly to check on your meals and what they do to you.)

For diabetics it isn't just sugar that needs cutting out, you also have to cut down on carbohydrates because all carbs turn to sugar once inside your system. We would love to help you with a suitable diet and help you get your levels down, so ask any questions you like. What sort of diet are you following, if any?

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Tbh for me things have been a nightmare as other family members are type2 but stick to the line " just do what the doctor tells you!" The first thing I did was buy a meter and my usual doctor agreed to me having my strips and lancets. But at know point has anyone explained anything too me. I've lived with it for 4 years ( knowingly) and not understood it, its freaking me out a bit now because I'm worried that I'm just going to cause future problems by not knowing what to do. Also I am rubbish with my meds so any tips on how to remember to take them would be appreciated!

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Tbh for me things have been a nightmare as other family members are type2 but stick to the line " just do what the doctor tells you!" The first thing I did was buy a meter and my usual doctor agreed to me having my strips and lancets. But at know point has anyone explained anything too me. I've lived with it for 4 years ( knowingly) and not understood it, its freaking me out a bit now because I'm worried that I'm just going to cause future problems by not knowing what to do. Also I am rubbish with my meds so any tips on how to remember to take them would be appreciated!
Go back to the original guy and ask him for the strips.

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh sorry just noticed your question on diet, I had until recently been trying to cut down my sugar and carb intake and it was working! ( lost 2st) but since my partner got pregnant I've been struggling to stick to it due to her cravings etc, and have put a lot of the weight back on.

Connie cutie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
To be honest there isn't much I dislike. One thing does spring to mind though,waking up to a dark, wet, windy day. I say, "roll on summer"!!
Hi, it's strange you should write this to-night. I've has a dreadful day. I too have been left to my own devices with no support from anyone apart from a "practice" nurse. When I get my 6 monthly appointment she never has time to sit and listen to my queries. She finds it easier to give me a handful of leaflets to read. I nearly know them of by heart as they are the same as she gave me on previous occasions. It is soul destroying. I can fully understand how you feel but what can we do?

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Go back to the original guy and ask him for the strips.
Have been trying too but keep getting told I have too wait 3 months for an appointment. Though as soon as I have any other health problems and mention I'm diabetic i get an appointment with one of the useless ones. Makes you think how serious some medical professionals take it.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Have been trying too but keep getting told I have too wait 3 months for an appointment. Though as soon as I have any other health problems and mention I'm diabetic i get an appointment with one of the useless ones. Makes you think how serious some medical professionals take it.
Not very in the experience of many on here.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Are you in the occult of a bad don

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, it's strange you should write this to-night. I've has a dreadful day. I too have been left to my own devices with no support from anyone apart from a "practice" nurse. When I get my 6 monthly appointment she never has time to sit and listen to my queries. She finds it easier to give me a handful of leaflets to read. I nearly know them of by heart as they are the same as she gave me on previous occasions. It is soul destroying. I can fully understand how you feel but what can we do?

I must admit I have never had a bad experience with the nurse at my practice. She seems to be the only one wanting to help but always has to refer me through the doctors so I end up back at square one! I'm sorry to hear that you've had a similar experience to myself, shame that diabetes has been twisted into a lazy persons disease by the media etc. and people are suffering because of it.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
hi guys, sorry youve been through this, but your treatment from today becomes your own responsibility because everything you need to know is right here! so today is day one, forget whats gone before, read the forum, ask questions, learn how to make yourselves better, together we can make everything ok again, it will take effort, will power and a enthusiasm on your parts but thats the best bit, you are now in control so your now either to blame for your lack of knowledge or congratulated on it, choose wisely :)

great to have yous!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 10 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well feeling a bit better about saying something now so thank you very much good people! Will take all the advice onboard and hopefully I can find a way out of this slump. I always knew diabetes was a strange thing to live with and always thought that being a third generation diabetic would make life easier but think that just led me into a false sense of security of thinking I knew what I was doing. Right time to sleep so I can start of from the top tomorrow!

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Well feeling a bit better about saying something now so thank you very much good people! Will take all the advice onboard and hopefully I can find a way out of this slump. I always knew diabetes was a strange thing to live with and always thought that being a third generation diabetic would make life easier but think that just led me into a false sense of security of thinking I knew what I was doing. Right time to sleep so I can start of from the top tomorrow!
Be sure to be coming back.

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Think I can safely say that I will be sticking around for a bit, always seems like a good idea to stick around good advice!

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Rule #1: Don't trust the medical health system. I learned that the hard way. Do research on the interwebs. If a doctor says to do something or not do something or wants to prescribe a medication to you or not prescribe a medication to you, check it out online. Be skeptical. :nurse:

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.

So, sign up for your gp practice as an online patient. Just go to reception and ask to be an online patient and they will give you a form to take away.

Online bookings are brilliant as so few people actually use them.. Less than 11% at our gp are registered.

They list all the gp's, all the available bookings etc... We too have one gp that is always in demand. You can get to see this gp within 5 days if you book on line.

If you haven't had good control for 2 tears etc, if you didn't want to go online, why can't you just wait for the good gp? You haven't been too anxious before? However, I would really recommend you register online for you and your family.... You'll get better appointment availability guaranteed and you can book your appts at midnight if you wanted to go online and do them rather than having to talk to receptionists in set opening hours.

Try lowering carbs again. Even taking small steps towards this will be beneficial...

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
Just looked up online booking for my dr sadly seems not do it :-( would have been useful