Residual post-race effects on BG

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Anyone had elevated blood sugars for a few days post race?

I've noticed it with the shorter stuff in particular. Had a Half Marathon on Sunday, and had the usual adrenaline effects during the race and immediately post race. For Monday though I wok up at 7.5, whereas normally it's nearer 5.5, astayed higher during the day. Also drifted back higher Sunday afternoon after the post-race drop.

Seems back to normal today at 5.3 on waking.

I was wondering whether this could be the effect of cortisol and similar stress hormones?

Haven't had the same with the longer, slower stuff.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
cortisol amongst other are hormones released in the morning and which contribute the dawn phenomenon.........

so it could be that your normal production of these, in the morning, has been effected from the run........

hormones are a mystery to me though.....

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
cortisol amongst other are hormones released in the morning and which contribute the dawn phenomenon.........

so it could be that your normal production of these, in the morning, has been effected from the run........

hormones are a mystery to me though.....
Cheers NRB, that's pretty much what I thought.

Seems to have settled down more now, I was just curious to see if others had experienced this as well. I seem to remember a marathoner posting on here about something similar.

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
No but l will start to keep a better eye on things no plans to run till next year in any more races but got a possible 4 lined up 2 paid for 2 umming over :)