Type 2 and Hypos

lessci

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Metformin can't cause hypos, but you can have them anyway even without being DB. Gliclazide can cause hypos as it forces your body to make more Insulin. You could also be having "false hypos" if you're reletivley recently diagnosed. Your body has got used to running with a higher BG level and as it drops back to "normal" levels it thinks there is something wrong and gives you hypo symptoms.

ICR

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You test before because that gives you a base reading, you really don't want to be going above by more than 2.0 after 2 hours. Your tests vary because of the carbs and sugars that you eat. The likes of bread and cereal are filled with them. I would cut back a little bit more.
Do you hypo after not eating after more than 3 hours after eating. Do you constantly snack to stop having a hypo?
Have you thought about your meds?
Thank you for you help. I mostly hypo when I have been or are very stressed. I work in an operating theatre, That does not stress me most of the staff I work with are very professional and a great bunch. But there area few complete idiots who do cause some stress.Also on long hikes and I carry gluco tabs and a brown buttered roll.

ftt1960

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not a lot
I was diagnosed as type 2 when I was 20. I was put on such a restricted diet that I frequently hypoed. I couldn't risk going shopping in town on my own! I was put onto Metformin in 2005 but didn't tolerate it, so was changed to Gliclazide. I have to be careful what I do, as I still hypo and have been ambulanced to hospital once. Saying that, I was a keen hillwalker and would happily head off on my own. Won't risk a bath without having someone in the house though! No longer hillwalk thanks to neuropathy

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thank you for you help. I mostly hypo when I have been or are very stressed. I work in an operating theatre, That does not stress me most of the staff I work with are very professional and a great bunch. But there area few complete idiots who do cause some stress.Also on long hikes and I carry gluco tabs and a brown buttered roll.
have had any tests for these hypos?
Stress does alter your blood levels but it is usually higher! Do you eat medium to high carbs before going into theatre? Or is it because your not eating that is causing your hypo? Have you tested whilst having a hypo?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I was diagnosed as type 2 when I was 20. I was put on such a restricted diet that I frequently hypoed. I couldn't risk going shopping in town on my own! I was put onto Metformin in 2005 but didn't tolerate it, so was changed to Gliclazide. I have to be careful what I do, as I still hypo and have been ambulanced to hospital once. Saying that, I was a keen hillwalker and would happily head off on my own. Won't risk a bath without having someone in the house though! No longer hillwalk thanks to neuropathy
Have you been diagnosed as hypoglycaemic?

Joss52

I was on Metformin and because of constant diarrhoea for three months,I am now on Glicazide. On both drugs I have had hypos. My HBA1C IS 6.5. My question is a nurse tells me type 2's do not have hypos, Well I have has anyone else had any?

I was diagnosed Type 2 about 7 years ago and prescribed Metformin. My HbA1c was still not fully controlled so was put on Glicazide as well about 18 months ago. I had 3/4 occasions when I went too long without food and suffered hypos - light-headed and dizzy- so my GP reduced the dose. Metformin and Glicazide act in different ways and care must be taken when on Glicazide, as hypos ARE possible. Since reducing the dose I've only experienced a very minor light-headed ness once. Talk to your GP. Good luck

dibs steer1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was on Metformin and because of constant diarrhoea for three months,I am now on Glicazide. On both drugs I have had hypos. My HBA1C IS 6.5. My question is a nurse tells me type 2's do not have hypos, Well I have has anyone else had any?
I've had 4 hypos in as many weeks poss down to the gliclazide plus the fact that i work 4 nights then 4 off so meds are all over the place.

Reactions: 2 people

glenda45

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi. I was diagnosed last month. Been on 1000mg Metformin daily since plus diet and exercise. Got shaky a couple of times after a long walk. No idea what my blood sugars are day to day as I've been told by the dietician that as a type 2 I only need them measured every 3 months. Don't know whether I should invest in a monitor myself or not.:bag:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi. I was diagnosed last month. Been on 1000mg Metformin daily since plus diet and exercise. Got shaky a couple of times after a long walk. No idea what my blood sugars are day to day as I've been told by the dietician that as a type 2 I only need them measured every 3 months. Don't know whether I should invest in a monitor myself or not.:bag:

Invest.
And it really is an investment.
I was up and running at under £23 with the Codefree from Amazon.
There is no way I would be as on top of my diet and diabetes without it.

ICR

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
have had any tests for these hypos?
Stress does alter your blood levels but it is usually higher! Do you eat medium to high carbs before going into theatre? Or is it because your not eating that is causing your hypo? Have you tested whilst having a hypo?
I now know what is happening so I only test when I have time to do so. That sounds bad but it's important to sort the problem first.I have tested and 2.3 was the lowest I have recorded. I have often not eaten properly because of time. But I am much better now because I make time.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hope you are sorted. Eating enough is as important as what you eat. It's getting the balance right.

K

Kat100

Metformin can't cause hypos, but you can have them anyway even without being DB. Gliclazide can cause hypos as it forces your body to make more Insulin. You could also be having "false hypos" if you're reletivley recently diagnosed. Your body has got used to running with a higher BG level and as it drops back to "normal" levels it thinks there is something wrong and gives you hypo symptoms.
Please don't rule out the fact that metformin can cause hypos .....everyone an react differently ...it might be safer to say that many drugs can cause hypos along with many health issues ....Kat

andybiddulph

My hypos were caused by hyperinsulinemea. I got transient rapid drops in blood sugar measured at up to 19 mM/l per hour which is 8 times the rate for a healthy young man on a glucose tolerance test. These resulted in rapid increase in serum glucose. The thing about hypos is that they are relative. You can still go hypo with glucose at 15nM/l if you started at 22nM/l. Testing tells you nothing. Trust your feelings. When you feel it coming on EAT.

Nhbb2014

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
Insulin
yes i would def invest in one, my husband was also told this, he had a 4 day stay in hospital last month and is now on insulin.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
yes i would def invest in one, my husband was also told this, he had a 4 day stay in hospital last month and is now on insulin.
What did he stay in hospital for and did anything come of it?

Nhbb2014

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
Insulin
He went to doctors for blood results, which were 28 and ketones at 4, so she sent him straight to a&e took them a while to get levels sorted.so he now on 2 lots of insulin. Goes back in 6 weeks to diabetic clinic.