Looking for some friendly advice :)

lck23

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey everyone!

I was hoping someone could offer me some advice...

I'm 24 (almost), female and have polcystic ovarian syndrome... I'm overweight by about 4 stone and am 5'8 tall...

Last night I worked myself in to a bit of a panic about having given myself type 2 diabetes through poor diet and being a tad silly about food...

I rushed out to get a blood glucose monitor and have taken my readings. They are as follows:

Last night before bed about 3hrs after a bowl of white pasta: 7.0 and then 7.7

Fasting blood glucose this morning: 5.2

1hr after breakfast which was scrambled eggs) 5.2

2 hrs after breakfast: 5.4

1hr after lunch which was turkey salad sandwich with 2 slices if whole meal bread and a green vegetable juice: 7.2
1.5hr after lunch 6.8

I'm just waiting to do 2hrs...

Can someone who understand more than I do please tell me if these results are in type 2 diabetes range? From what I have worked out looking at numerous sites etc, they're within the "normal" range but at the higher end... Is it possible with good diet I can get the levels down?

Any advice would be much appreciated...

Thanks!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome to the forum.

These are the guidelines issued by NICE and used by the NHS. Note they are guidelines only.

Non diabetics before a meal 4 to 5.9; 2hrs after a meal under 7.8; fasting up to 5.5 although this can depend on a lot of factors.
Type 2's before a meal 4 to 7; 2hrs after a meal under 8.5.

I can't see anything wrong with your numbers. A bowl of white pasta would spike anyone and is not a wise choice for diabetics.

Carbohydrates are the demons for blood sugars. All carbs turn to sugar once inside the system, some quicker than others. They are also the demons for weight gain. I think your best plan is to lose some weight by cutting right down on carbs. Being overweight, especially if you have a large waist line, is likely to increase your natural insulin resistance. By losing this weight any insulin resistance should improve and along with it your BS levels.

Good luck!

Reactions: 2 people

lck23

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank yo
Hi and welcome to the forum.

These are the guidelines issued by NICE and used by the NHS. Note they are guidelines only.

Non diabetics before a meal 4 to 5.9; 2hrs after a meal under 7.8; fasting up to 5.5 although this can depend on a lot of factors.
Type 2's before a meal 4 to 7; 2hrs after a meal under 8.5.

I can't see anything wrong with your numbers. A bowl of white pasta would spike anyone and is not a wise choice for diabetics.

Carbohydrates are the demons for blood sugars. All carbs turn to sugar once inside the system, some quicker than others. They are also the demons for weight gain. I think your best plan is to lose some weight by cutting right down on carbs. Being overweight, especially if you have a large waist line, is likely to increase your natural insulin resistance. By losing this weight any insulin resistance should improve and along with it your BS levels.

Good luck!

lck23

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
That last one
Hey everyone!

I was hoping someone could offer me some advice...

I'm 24 (almost), female and have polcystic ovarian syndrome... I'm overweight by about 4 stone and am 5'8 tall...

Last night I worked myself in to a bit of a panic about having given myself type 2 diabetes through poor diet and being a tad silly about food...

I rushed out to get a blood glucose monitor and have taken my readings. They are as follows:

Last night before bed about 3hrs after a bowl of white pasta: 7.0 and then 7.7

Fasting blood glucose this morning: 5.2

1hr after breakfast which was scrambled eggs) 5.2

2 hrs after breakfast: 5.4

1hr after lunch which was turkey salad sandwich with 2 slices if whole meal bread and a green vegetable juice: 7.2
1.5hr after lunch 6.8

I'm just waiting to do 2hrs...

Can someone who understand more than I do please tell me if these results are in type 2 diabetes range? From what I have worked out looking at numerous sites etc, they're within the "normal" range but at the higher end... Is it possible with good diet I can get the levels down?

Any advice would be much appreciated...

Thanks!

thank you so much for taking the time to reply. I really appreciate it. I've just tested the 2 hrs after my lunch and it is now 6.5 which is weird because it has gone up from half an hour ago... What would make it do that?

So you'd say looking at those numbers I'm not at the diabetic stage however if I continue on my path of being overweight and eating lots of carbs sugar etc then this could turn to pre diabetes and eventually type 2?

I'm going tonsee a doctor with regards to helping me but just wanted to make sure I wasn't diabetic..?

Thanks!

Lily

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Where has it gone up? Am I missing something? (not unusual for me) I thought you were 7.2, 6.8 and now 6.5.

Also be aware that meters are not accurate. In the UK they only have to be accurate to within plus or minus 15%. You can take several consecutive readings from the same finger, different fingers, or even the same drop of blood, and will get a variety of readings. Sometimes they can vary wildly.

If you want peace of mind, ask your doctor to do a diabetic blood test, either a fasting one or a 3 month average (known as an HbA1c).

lck23

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Where has it gone up? Am I missing something? (not unusual for me) I thought you were 7.2, 6.8 and now 6.5.

Also be aware that meters are not accurate. In the UK they only have to be accurate to within plus or minus 15%. You can take several consecutive readings from the same finger, different fingers, or even the same drop of blood, and will get a variety of readings. Sometimes they can vary wildly.

If you want peace of mind, ask your doctor to do a diabetic blood test, either a fasting one or a 3 month average (known as an HbA1c).

It went from 7.2 after 1 hr, then 1.5hrs it was 6.8, then 2hrs I think I wrote 6.5 instead of 7.5 which it was... But then just did it again and it was 5.7... I give up! But they've all stayed within the "normal" range for 2hrs post eating haven't they?

Would you say (obviously I know it is your opinion and you can't say for sure) that the numbers are currently ok and in "normal"? I will go to the doctors but am panicking and won't get an appointment for a few weeks. :/

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Your 6.8 reading at 1.5hrs may have been a rogue reading. We all get those, and as I said, meters are not accurate.

You haven't gone over the magic number of 7.8, and once you hit your spike you come back down again. Between now and seeing your doctor, do some morning fasting tests. Fast for at least 12 hours with nothing but water, then as soon as you get out of bed wash your hands and test. Also test immediately you go to bed. These readings will be of more help to you. Try not to panic, and try to stay away from pasta!