Just diagnosed with Type 2

Zombiedude

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So I am in a bit of a daze about it all.
I have really tried losing weight, eating right and excercising lately.
I've lost 2 1/2 stone in a year (1 1/2 of which has been the last 4 months).
I quit snacking and ate just three meals a day and went down 3 trouser sizes.
I was over the moon.
Then I was told I was Type 2.
To be honest, at first, I felt like, "Why did I bother?!?!"

I've let it sink in and I am now thinking, "Ok, good start, just keep it going and control this thing".
But, right now, I am in a 'all seems hopeless' mood.
I think it is the sudden change that has to happen.
No beer, no carbs, no cake on special occasions, no walking around the home bare foot (I hate wearing shoes and socks at home).
I am still focused on my weight loss and what not, I just feel deflated that it was too little too late.

But, as I say, I am committed to being in control.
I have just ordered a SD Codefree meter off of ebay and, when I finally have my first appointment to discuss my blood test results, I want all the facts and figures they have on me so I can track this thing!

All advice is welcomed and greatly appreciated.

(Thanks for letting me vent a little!)

Reactions: 5 people

cath99

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
rude d/n nurses and being treated like im wierd because im diabetic
hello and welcome, as a fellow type 2 i do understand were your coming from it does feel very confusing and at times soul destroying, but firstly well done with the weight loss thats fantastic and you should be proud of yourself for achieving that, when i was dianosed i thought o god im going to have to give up everything and the foods i loved, but it has been the oposite for me anyrhing i cant have i make the alternative now, i dont look at diabetic recipies i just change the basics that help me ie... suger for sweetner flour... for coconut flour , your on the right path in ur new journey and do contine to reduce the weight speaking from expierence i was diagnosed in dec last year im 7 stone down now, so give up diabeties isnt a death sentence rather than a wake up call before its to late xx

Reactions: 6 people

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wow youve done really well with your weight loss. Brilliant. Dont focus on the negatives, the what you cant eat or do but think of the new challenges you are undertakng. You have taken such positive steps already. Wonderful. :)

Reactions: 3 people
K

Kat100

Hello and welcome , I adapt my diet also so I don't really ever think I have gone without ...
Hard at times yes, you will get used to the changes ...but give yourself time ...and don't panic
Lots of reading and information to take on board , not just on this forum ....google , books etc ....
Find a good diet that you can cope with , food that you enjoy , try some baking ...it can be fun ....
You may find your diet needs change at times all depends on us the individual ...
Look after yourself and stay positive ....

Reactions: 3 people
K

Kat100

hello and welcome, as a fellow type 2 i do understand were your coming from it does feel very confusing and at times soul destroying, but firstly well done with the weight loss thats fantastic and you should be proud of yourself for achieving that, when i was dianosed i thought o god im going to have to give up everything and the foods i loved, but it has been the oposite for me anyrhing i cant have i make the alternative now, i dont look at diabetic recipies i just change the basics that help me ie... suger for sweetner flour... for coconut flour , your on the right path in ur new journey and do contine to reduce the weight speaking from expierence i was diagnosed in dec last year im 7 stone down now, so give up diabeties isnt a death sentence rather than a wake up call before its to late xx
Loving the coconut flour ....

Reactions: 2 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
So I am in a bit of a daze about it all.
I have really tried losing weight, eating right and excercising lately.
I've lost 2 1/2 stone in a year (1 1/2 of which has been the last 4 months).
I quit snacking and ate just three meals a day and went down 3 trouser sizes.
I was over the moon.
Then I was told I was Type 2.
To be honest, at first, I felt like, "Why did I bother?!?!"

I've let it sink in and I am now thinking, "Ok, good start, just keep it going and control this thing".
But, right now, I am in a 'all seems hopeless' mood.
I think it is the sudden change that has to happen.
No beer, no carbs, no cake on special occasions, no walking around the home bare foot (I hate wearing shoes and socks at home).
I am still focused on my weight loss and what not, I just feel deflated that it was too little too late.

But, as I say, I am committed to being in control.
I have just ordered a SD Codefree meter off of ebay and, when I finally have my first appointment to discuss my blood test results, I want all the facts and figures they have on me so I can track this thing!

All advice is welcomed and greatly appreciated.

(Thanks for letting me vent a little!)
Loving the coconut flour ....
I was made up to discover that losing weight entailed having fresh cream ... fry ups for breakfast lots of nuts for snacks.
I'm barefoot most of the time around the house.
Even though I'm a low carber I have the odd treat ... chips cake whatever I just have to factor it into my days thinking.
I'm doing ok at it too.

Reactions: 4 people

Zombiedude

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the kind words. This forum is already making me feel a little better.
It's nice to have some positive role models about this. :D

I just have so many questions and no idea where to begin!

this is too difficult two

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
don't concentrate on weight loss. blood glucose level is what maters. You have to test and keep carbohydrates to a minimum

Sancho panza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Nah I still drink beer I am low ish carbing I will allow myself a treat now and again and I still walk about in bare feet.

I was made up to discover that losing weight entailed having fresh cream ... fry ups for breakfast lots of nuts for snacks.
I'm barefoot most of the time around the house.
Even though I'm a low carber I have the odd treat ... chips cake whatever I just have to factor it into my days thinking.
I'm doing ok at it too.

Totally agree with jack here

this is too difficult two

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
aQUOTE="Sancho panza, post: 636086, member: 112621"]Nah I still drink beer I am low ish carbing I will allow myself a treat now and again and I still walk about in bare feet.

Totally agree with jack here[/QUOTE]

A treat is always good, but barefeet? Are you a thrill seeker?

Sancho panza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A treat is always good, but barefeet? Are you a thrill seeker?

;) Only in the house and on the odd occasion in the garden, it's one of life's pleasures to walk barefoot in the grass.

I have diabetes but I will never be cowed by my condition should I develop neuropathy then maybe I will change.

Zombiedude

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I kind of wonder how serious it can be walking around my own home barefoot?
I mean I keep my place spotless and I stub my toe maybe once every six months!
I am classed as low risk of foot complications and so I feel like it is safe for me to walk around my home barefoot.
Admittedly, a few days before being diagnosed, I was walking along the beach barefoot and some parts were stony as hell.
It hurt my feet but luckily did no damage and won't be doing that again but otherwise, I kind of feel like I am ok to walk around my home like it.
Is that unreasonable to assume?

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How do you know you are low risk for foot complications?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
In my opinion it is only dangerous to walk barefoot once neuropathy has set in. The reason it is dangerous is because, should we tread on something, we can't feel it, might never know, and then infection sets in. If there is no neuropathy, there is no danger. I may be wrong.

Zombiedude

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How do you know you are low risk for foot complications?
I had a meeting with a nurse yesterday just to take my weight, stomach measurement and did a foot test (sensation and pulse).
She said I was classed as low risk for foot complications at the moment.

In my opinion it is only dangerous to walk barefoot once neuropathy has set in. The reason it is dangerous is because, should we tread on something, we can't feel it, might never know, and then infection sets in. If there is no neuropathy, there is no danger. I may be wrong.
That's kind of what I figured. I mean I wouldn't go bare foot outside now, but I feel I know my home well enough (and keep it clean enough) to comfortably walk around with at least socks on.

Reactions: 2 people

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That is brilliant that the nurse did that. I havent had anything like that.