HBA1C tests

manicarrie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,
I am new to this forum and have a few issues and a couple of questions, namely about the HBA1C test, apologies in advance if this post seems a bit convoluted and doesn't make sense.
If I want to get my HBA1C down ASAP, would the doctors let me test more frequently? And how long do changes in this test show? The reason I am asking, is that I know due to poor control, it is going to be through the roof. But we would like to try for another baby, and I would like to know roughly how long it could take for the HBA1C to show a healthier reading for this now I have started getting my act together.
I know a some of you will ask why I have been controlling it so badly. I have been caring for my mother who was bedridden since November last year, she needed so much of my time, even with carers that I had to give up my job. So I had a double issue here, firstly things were so up in the air with her illness that timing and counting foods went out of the window, I was on call 24/7 and spent most of the time dealing with her. Secondly, I went into a bit of a bad place mentally, I had no control over my life with her, I couldn't do what I wanted at all, that I kind of went into a denial state about food, if I couldn't control my life my way, I could at least eat what I wanted and have control that way. Hope that makes sense. Also, I wasn't so careful with my insulin (the short term anyway) as I couldn't afford to have even mild hypos.
Anyway, since then she has passed away in July, this was a bit of a wake up call as the cause of death was a UTI with contributing factors of her type 2 diabetes (I am type 1) and cancer which we thought was in remission but hadn't been followed up due to her being bedridden (her call, not the hospitals fault). This kind of brought home how dangerous it could be. I have been trying to control my bloods since, but have been struggling, when I have spiked from 6.2 to 12.9 when I hadn't eaten anything for a couple of hours kind of makes me wonder what is the point. My main mild hypos are first thing, even when I have been trying to adjust insulins/food to balance this. I can go from a last thing reading of 10.3 (or higher in some cases) at 11.30 pm to a 2.8 at 6 am.
I do plan on going to my gp for advice, but part of me dreads the bollocking, and also with sorting out her affairs/house and dealing with life in general (my sons school and hospital appointments etc) I just haven't had the time.
Anyway, thanks for racing the essay x

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome,

I'm Type 2 diet only, so can't advise on insulin.

The HbA1c test is an average of the previous 2 to 3 months, depending how long your particular blood cells are replaced naturally. This average is weighted more towards the past few weeks. Although you may find some improvement if you have been "good" in the few weeks leading up to the test, it will still carry some of the earlier weeks. Difficult to explain in writing!

Reactions: 2 people

manicarrie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No, that makes perfect sense. That's kind of what I was asking, I know they go over the last 8-12 weeks, so even if I have been good for the last month, I know I will still be paying for the 4-8 week previously, just suppose I wanted someone else to confirm that. I have read the ideal levels should be around 43, and to avoid pregnancy if above 80, which I reckon I am. Suppose I had better just grit my teeth and go fess up to the doctor :( x thanks x

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't be so hard on yourself. You have been through some tough times emotionally and physically, which on their own would have increased your levels. Now your life is more stable, my advice is to concentrate on what you are eating and spend some time on looking after yourself. Your health is paramount.

Reactions: 3 people

manicarrie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, just thought I would update you kind souls who replied and read this post. I have tried to take the first step and tried to book back to diabetic clinic. Unfortunately as I had to reschedule a couple of appointments the computer read this as non attendance and chucked me off the list. So I phoned the diabetic unit directly, and got through to ever such a nice nurse who was very sympathetic and supportive. She told me the quickest way is to get my GP to refer me back as a new patient, but that they will help me get back on track. Now my next problem is to actually get a GP appointment as they only book for the same day, and by the time you get through in the morning, all the slots are taken. If I don't get through in time tomorrow, I have to go down to collect my script, so will take a letter to the doc, and try and explain to the receptionist, so I can either get an appointment, or they can give my letter to the GP x

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Hun, don't be so hard on yourself! You've came on here, started getting yourself back on track and spoken to the hospital! That's some really great steps!

Don't be afraid of your doctor - or DSN, it happens to the best of us so you won't be the first person they've seen that's gone off track, your doing something about it which they will be really pleased with!

When I asked to be transferred from my doctors to the hospital I couldn't get an appointment to see my doc for ages but the offered me a telephone appointment which was only a few days later, so that might be worth asking about if you've not already been seen.

Hope you've got somewhere since your last post though and aren't still waiting, even if you have got an appointment lined up that will be great.

I find the care at my hospital much better than at my doctors, they seem more bothered about you, and it sounds like you spoke to a DSN like that when you called :)

Do let us know how you get on, I'm planning for a baby myself and got my a1c result the other day of 51 which is the best it's ever been, the pregnancy section on here is really good for advise too.

Abbie :)

manicarrie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Abbie, I managed to get into the GP by putting my mobile on auto redial first thing, maybe my number flags up as a problem patient lol, as I have made formal complaints before and had a barney with the receptionist on Monday - our prescription line was 11-2 has been for years, then phoned for prescription Monday, message said line was closed as open 9-12. Rang the other line and explained, she very condescendingly say 'well I will do it this once, please remember for the future'. She wasn't too happy after I had pointed out that my crystal ball was out if action, therefore without having phoned in, visited the surgery or had a letter I had no way if knowing, and also if they are going to change things, it may be a good idea to change the recorded message for the main line that is STILL saying prescriptions are 11-2. Anyways, I am feeling a lot better now I have taken steps and asked for the help, now to wait for clinic appointment, to blow my own trumpet, although I am still having trouble controlling blood ( not just naughty foods, but have had some weird results, GP said could be stress with bereavement and legal stuff to do with that) I HAVE managed three days without a cigarette thanks to a vape stick (yeah, one bad habit for another, but baby steps) xx

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think 3 days without a cigarette is definitely something to be proud of! I don't smoke myself but I work in a shop where all the other staff members smoked till a few months ago but half of them have quit after deciding to try them sticks so hang in there with it :)

Glad you've got an appointment with your doc, I usually have to keep hitting redial until I finally get through!

And don't even start me on the prescription line, usually get through on my 42nd attempt - no lie! :|