Condensation

niknak15

I have condensation in the insulin loading part of my pump..... Any thoughts?

Also changed my site Tuesday but mega red already today! Worth changing a day early?

Cheers everyone

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What pump are you on? Def change the site as you don't want it to affect your BG and also if you let it get too sore it won't heal so quickly for reuse in that site.

niknak15

I'm using the accu chek spirit. I did an insulin change and dried the pump and seems ok, I wonder if it leaked?

iHs

Hi

Make sure when attaching the luer tube in the black cartridge connector, that you dont cross thread when you push and twist the tube clockwise. If you dont push snd twist securely, some insulin might leak around the luer connector. As a safeguard position the pump so that tube joins at the bottom and not the top and then no insulin can get into the cartridge compartment and air bubbles dont go down the tube as they rise to the other end.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I had a box of tubes that the lueur used to work lose on the pump over a couple days. Always double check every morning now they are tight. And double check when putting them on that they are straight.
Check with accuchek as if it is an insulin leak I am 90% sure I was told to swill the chamber with water and then after emotying the cartridge chamber in pump of the water to blow dry it with a hair dryer!! Their pumpline is open 24hr. I'm not 100% sure on this so best to check with accuchek. I know insulin if it has leaked in to chamber isn't good for the mechanics.

niknak15

I work in a dental clinic so used the air blower to dry it out.

I've had an afternoon of hypos following this leaking incident though, not sure how or if it is connected.

I always check the tubes. I wonder if there was more insulin in the vile then I told the pump at my last cartridge change... Over spill maybe???

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Dont you have the lueur conected when you tell the pump how much in it? I always load 315 units in the cartridge, connect the tube and then up the piston to 300 units and then prime it. I never up the piston without the tube attached...

niknak15

I've just done it the way I was shown in the group session.... Only been on it 2 weeks so haven't had a major play with it, in a bit scared tbh lol

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Always best to put the lueur lock and tube on it as soon as the cartridge goes in. Otherwise you can get spillages of insulin when you are telling the pump how much insulin is loaded in the cartridge.

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes always put the lueur lock on as soon as you put the cartridge into the holder - before you put whole set into the pump.

If not you can get insulin leakage into the pump cylinder, was told if this happens too much then the insulin can damage the pump.

I never did this for over a year until I was told about it, my pump is fine.

Reactions: 2 people

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The hassle and ignorance of diabetes.
I'm using the accu chek spirit. I did an insulin change and dried the pump and seems ok, I wonder if it leaked?

I would say so - but to be sure smell it! Water doesn't smell of anything, whereas insulin smells. If it has leaked, you need to clean out the chamber according to their instructions or you could invalidate the warranty.

masonbason63

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Being type 1, my health and what really grates me are false people who make themselves out to be something when their not
When I had condensation some time back I was told I hadn't left the pre loaded cartridge/ bottle out to fridge long enough to climatise to room temperature before using in pump and that's what had caused it .

niknak15

Thanks guys, I changed the insulin with the infusion lead attached and it's been fine.

I was told to leave the insulin at room temp for abit before drawing it up as apparently it can get more air in it when it's cold??

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The hassle and ignorance of diabetes.
Thanks guys, I changed the insulin with the infusion lead attached and it's been fine.

I was told to leave the insulin at room temp for abit before drawing it up as apparently it can get more air in it when it's cold??

Absolutely correct; there is no need to leave the present range of human and analogue insulins in the fridge whilst in use. By all means store the rest in the fridge when you're not using them, but otherwise keep them in a cool / room temp cupboard out of direct sunlight.

Not only do you run the risk of air bubbles forming in the cartridge, but cold insulin tends to sting :inpain:...

Now, back when I was a wee lad, the (animal) insulins always had to be stored in the fridge - whether in use or not - and that **** well hurt :bigtears: