What other auto immune illnesses do you have apart from type 1 ?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
In my never ending quest for knowledge I'd like anyone reading this post to respond with either a yes or no and details of what other auto immune illnesses people have.

I have an under active thyroid but know type 1 can be linked to other illnesses, and when I was diagnosed I couldn't understand why the doctors couldn't treat the cause to my type 1 as the pancreas was still working, so it meant my body hadn't quite killed it off, now it's dead there isn't anything that can be done, but I've read that in the US they treat the underlying causes which can be anything from toxins, stress, yeast in the gut to gluten and wheat intolerances.

There is a definite link so it would be good to know what sort of % have other illnesses and what treatment people have had ?

;)

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes - I have coeliac disease. Treatment is to stop eating gluten to prevent the immune system from attacking the villi.

If only there was such a simple cure for T1.

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had eczema as a kid, but only when very young.

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
Crohns disease and psoriasis for my sins.

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
Crikey !
Rheumatoid arthritis
Leukoderma (vitiligo)
Eczema
Hypothyroidism (Myxedema)
Asthma - comes and goes

Never boring round here.

Reactions: 6 people

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
Lots of skin issues, adult onset acne, eczema and rosacea. Stomach troubles all the time which doctors think may be IBS. Nothing else major thankfully.

alaska

Type 1 diagnosed at age 11. No other autoimmune diseases that I'm aware of.

My granddad was diagnosed with what was assumed to be type 1 diabetes later in his life (50+) and my grandma (same side of the family) has coeliac.

SandyDee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hypothyroidism and eczema both only since diabetes and have had alopecia which is sometimes considered autoimmune

johnmtp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ulcerative colitis - treated with steroids and immunosuppressants.
Developed type 1 about a year and half after having my colon removed, and coming off all the medication.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Rabies(viral) & mange(parasitic) are infectious diseases. Not autoimmune.... The manifestations of mange depends on host immune responses causing allergy to the antigen...
Sorry Debbie you have fallen victim to British humour. :)

I do not have rabies and mange, though my avatar is fighting off a bad case of both at the moment.

Reactions: 17 people

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Wow - seems that alot of us have other stuff too - has anyone ever looked at the links between this and food eaten at all ?

Kelsie

Type one since July 2013, also have Eczema, asthma, adult acne and severe peanut allergy. My brother is also type one

katebrady

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
well here goes
limited cutaneous systemic sclerosis diagnosed age 17
Type 1 diabetes age 33 (insulin resistant, metformin does nothing for me except upsets my stomach so stopped taking them)
Underactive thyroid age 51
sjogren's syndrome age 56
osteoarthritis
not to coeliac but
last but not least although not auto-immune they all go together - yes Gastroparesis
all the usual long term effects retinopathy, maculopathy, nerve damage to feet etc etc because I was told for years by the then diabetic nurse having complained of constant BG levels of 22 plus almost the morning that it was "just you Kate Brady". Now even on a pump which has helped tremendously I still have around 14/170 units per day depending on food etc. but I'm still here to tell the tale. be happy. Kate

DonnaC-T

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Type 1 and Raymauds. I'm being tested for all sorts at the moment too. X

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Seem to escaped most of what's been said, although I have been tested for Coeliac Disease before which turned out to be fine. Only complication to date from diabetes has been retinopathy, but that has been stable for the last 9 years.

Reactions: 2 people