Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Bacon and eggs, coffee
Ham cream cheese salad
Low carb key lime pie I found at back of freezer, coffee
Chinese pork soup - very moreish!

Not hungry but thinking about food too much!

Reactions: 2 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Day 6 on diabetes miracle eating plan

Ate exactly the same as yesterday.

Feeling good. BG levels best since I bought the meter.
Absolutely certain my BG hasn't been above 7 since Saturday, which is stunning.

Highest reading is 6.4-6.9 two hrs after evening meal, dropping to a fabulous 5.2 ish before bed.

Dawn phenomenon seems to have kicked up a bit though. :( Am tracking it. Around 6.8 on waking. But doesn't rise further if I have a Brazil nut before getting out of bed.

My only area of concern is water retention.
Previous experience of low carbing is that it reduces water retention.
But since about day 3 of uber low carbing, I have found my feet and ankles have been swelling a bit.
I have had swollen ankles in the past from high carb eating, hot weather and sitting at my work desk too long.
This week, the weather has been cool, I'm on very low carbs, and I'm sitting at my desk.
But I sit at my desk every work day. And last week my ankles didn't swell.

I'm drinking plenty (1x coffee n cream, 3xherb/green teas, 1xbovril, 1xsambucol effervescent tab in water [1gcarb/tab] and a couple pints of water.
o_O
Anyone got any suggestions?

I've got some Spironolactone (encourages the kidneys to work a little harder), but I don't want to take them if there is some obvious non-drug solution that I have missed...

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just wonder if you are consuming too much salt? There's salt in the pork scratchings, and I imagine the sausages and Brie and peanut bar will also have salt in them. Only thing I can think of.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just wonder if you are consuming too much salt? There's salt in the pork scratchings, and I imagine the sausages and Brie and peanut bar will also have salt in them. Only thing I can think of.
Hmm. Could be, but I'm not eating any more of them than last week, or last month...

I have switched scratching brand from Posh to Mr Porky's, due to the Amazon price of Posh heading skywards... Porky's are definitely inferior.

I'll check the ingredients list...

F*ck. F*ck. F*ck.
They've got mono sodium glutamate in them.
My arch nemesis.

Thank you @cold ethyl

Mystery solved. :bigtears::bigtears::bigtears:

Always makes me laugh when people pontificate about msg having no evidence against it. Hah! They should try living my life!

alliebee

I would agree (nurse). Sodium would be the first culprit to look at..but jolly well done for all you are achieving. And thank you for all the helpful tips like brazil nut and peanut butter last thing. Its so helpful

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Glad to have helped. I loved Chinese curry sauce and takeaways but the MSG used to make me really bloated and I'd be awake half the night with my heart racing.

Weird Science

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Yesterday bf 2 bacon

Lunch Som Tam

Dinner pickled mustard with chicken bits soup, had a FAB for pudding which spoilt things.

Today
B 2 egg omelette
L pork nam tok (love this so much)
D Doner kebab minus pitta
Wife made a cheesecake for me, I shouldn't touch the base but I'm gonna :)

Forgot to add to my results that I'm down 2kgs (93) and managed to persuade nurse to get me some ketosis sticks on prescription, so once I'm off my celebratory period I can see if I can achieve this fat burning nirvana!!

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Allie - I got the recipe from this forum but made it ages ago and had it on my old phone which I drowned so don't have it. It was basically lime jelly, cream cheese, nut base. I froze it all in portions that I took as I felt the urge!

X

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Brun - get these! They're good. Got mine in asda

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1411069624.030327.jpg

Reactions: 4 people

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday bf 2 bacon

Lunch Som Tam

Dinner pickled mustard with chicken bits soup, had a FAB for pudding which spoilt things.

Today
B 2 egg omelette
L pork nam tok (love this so much)
D Doner kebab minus pitta
Wife made a cheesecake for me, I shouldn't touch the base but I'm gonna :)

Forgot to add to my results that I'm down 2kgs (93) and managed to persuade nurse to get me some ketosis sticks on prescription, so once I'm off my celebratory period I can see if I can achieve this fat burning nirvana!!
You can make a base with almond flour and butter and bit of sweetener. It has to be pre- baked for about ten mins but then is good to go. Cheesecake with no guilt.

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Or chopped nuts, sweetner and butter - bake for ten mins on gm 3. Yum!

Weird Science

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Thx both of you for suggestions, I did try I think ground almonds or something before and it was nasty, will try again in a few weeks

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thx both of you for suggestions, I did try I think ground almonds or something before and it was nasty, will try again in a few weeks

Too soggy. I use mixed nuts with pumpkin seeds - grind in coffee grinder. Pecans are good too but pricy

Tweetypie

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders, control freaks, untidiness, ignorance.
Yum .. the cabbage dish sounds nice :)
Yes, it's the first time I tried it - very good. My mum used to do macorini with fried bacon and onions and it reminded me of that - definitely recommend! (the cabbage, not the macaroni of course!)

modesty007

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If going really low carb, you actually need extra salt because you body are shedding extra sodium (and water) http://authoritynutrition.com/5-most-common-low-carb-mistakes/ but watch that you might need some extra potassium as well.

I have to add potassium in hot weather, otherwise I have cramps at night...

It is now 24 hrs since my last msg intake, and my ankles are going down.

Went to Asda this morning (day off) and searched the store for @Debmcgee 's crackling. Even asked 2 staff. Not stocked. :spitoutdummy:

So I've remortgaged, and ordered the posh ones. :grumpy: Because, obviously, there is no alternative. ;)

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I love pork cracking and the crispy fat on gammon but the one bag of posh scratchings I had made me feel like heaving when I opened them. They tasted marginally better but the smell dampened my appetite. Probably just as well as I need to shift weight as well as lower carbs.

modesty007

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
I have to add potassium in hot weather, otherwise I have cramps at night...

It is now 24 hrs since my last msg intake, and my ankles are going down.

Went to Asda this morning (day off) and searched the store for @Debmcgee 's crackling. Even asked 2 staff. Not stocked. :spitoutdummy:

So I've remortgaged, and ordered the posh ones. :grumpy: Because, obviously, there is no alternative. ;)
Have tried magnesium citrate or some other magnesium with high bio-availability, usually recommended for muscle cramps on Scandinavian forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.