Statins - mass medicalisation.

C

catherinecherub

I can never understand why the subject of statins comes up on here time and time again There will always be the two camps those for and those against.so why keep bringing it up just let people make up their own mind about them
Annie,

You don't suffer the side effects of statins and I am pleased for you. Some Doctors will prescribe statins for every diabetic on their books whilst others are more measured in their approach.
We are not talking about a niggly little pains as side effects but constant acute pain that affects every aspect of a person's daily life. ~It can be so debilitating that people become severely depressed and have to stop activities or have sick leave from their work.

You also have to respect that more people are not experiencing/experiencing the side effects and new members are also adding to the debate on statins.
Should we stop talking about the pros and cons of Metformin, Insulin, Thyroxine, Vitamins and Supplements and all the other medications used by forum members?
By having threads like this, people are more aware even if they don't post.

It is a topic that will never disappear because it affects people in a good or bad way.

Reactions: 2 people

Judith138

I had serious side effects on the first dose of simvastatin. After a break of a couple of years I agreed to try a second statin: the side effects took a week. I've now got a third make of statin staring at me from a shelf, waiting for me to try it. My GP (Scotland) was quite honest: the statins are prescribed in ascending order of cost. I accept my cholesterol levels are too high (though I'm almost vegan). However I've recently been taking plant stanols (tablet form) and red rice yeast, with some cholesterol-lowering impact (and no apparent side effects). Has anyone got views/experience of these alternatives?