Confused about 2 HBa1C readings

greenybeany

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dear All,

I had 2 very successive HBa1c tests done, one at GP surgery on 4th August and the second at Consultants on 18th August.

The 1st came back 38 and 2nd came 42

Since these 2 tests are covering the preceding 2-3 months period, I am surprised as to how in 2 weeks, the number can go up and throw me in the prediabetes range! Is this possible? If yes, then how? Unless one of the result is incorrect, which I doubt it is.

The only difference in the test result is that before the 1st test was done, I was more active and eating healthy. Whereas 2-3 weeks prior to the 2nd test, my activity level had dropped significantly and also followed a more flexible diet.Can this affect the 2nd test?

Can you BG increase so much in just 2 weeks? What do you think?

On the advice of my GP, I have booked another HBa1c test a month from now. Started with my regular physical activities and a healthy and relatively strict diet scheme as I was doing and sustaining for the last 1 yr. Lets see how that affects my next HBA1c results.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
It can, it's said that the last few weeks leading up to the test can heavily influence the result.

Reactions: 4 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I also had 2 tests close together. One on 2nd January, the next on the 14th. They were 52 and 53 respectively. Not much difference and both diabetic levels, but equally they could have been one below and one above. As they were so similar I never gave it a thought.

It is true that the test reflects the 2 to 3 months prior, but is weighted towards the previous few weeks.

greenybeany

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks so much for the replies, I really hope I get a better result this time around. But what I have realised is that I cannot afford to be inactive or eat-as-you-wish kind of person any more :(

Reactions: 3 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In my mind, I visualise the impact on HbA1c as being like a wedge, with the greatest impact closest to the current day. As I understand it, the slope isn't exactly even, but you get what I mean?

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The only difference in the test result is that before the 1st test was done, I was more active and eating healthy. Whereas 2-3 weeks prior to the 2nd test, my activity level had dropped significantly and also followed a more flexible diet.Can this affect the 2nd test?

Can you BG increase so much in just 2 weeks? What do you think?

Going up from 38 to 42 is not that much of an increase and is easily explained by a change in diet. When I was diagnosed, it was something like 86 which I got down to 48 in 12 weeks.

More activity and a healthier diet worked for me and for many others. I suspect any return to bad old ways will show up in future, higher, HBA1c results. You take in less carbs and you are more sensitive to the insulin that you do produce. The combination helps to keep your BG lower.

Losing weight, if you lose enough, may result in increased production of insulin, further improving BG levels. Losing weight, eating healthy foods and being physically active is a winning combination for diabetics. Even if you don't return to normal, you slow the progression down.

And of course, you will feel better.

Spicy fish stew for tea tonight and a cycle ride on the coast tomorrow. It beats having a meat pie and chips whilst watching TV.

Diamum5972

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Prejudiced people (my son has learning difficulties) and not being able to find a job
I would agree - my first HBa1C (3 months ago) was 43 and the one I had last week was 45. I injured my back just after my first test and so wasn't half as active as I used to be. I'm only just getting back to normal now but I'm being VERY strict with my diet while I'm being relatively inactive.

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
It is an average so if you have been lax your bg will go up. This follows that the average will be different and also peoples comments about the closest influencing your result.