Newly diagnosed type 1

matthew84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Found out yesterday I am type1 so much to take in and learn and they are trying to send me on the dafne course is that some thing worth doing or is it some thing I can teach my self through looking into diabetes

manicarrie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have heard it is worth doing as it teaches you about dosing and what your food/ insulin does in your body and how it all works together. Unfortunately I haven't done one yet as the first one offered clashed with work (they wouldn't give me the time off) and the second one clashes with school pick up

Reactions: 2 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Views on DAFNE vary based on feedback I've seen. Just be aware that some presenters will ignore the effect of carbs on diabetes and focus on matching carbs to insulin; nothing wrong with that but keep the carbs down where you can to avoid weight gain and the need for too much insulin

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello Matthew. I was diagnosed in June age 29 so understand what u r going through! Lots to take in.
I'm going on DAFNE week after next so can let you know, but I've managed so far without it.
Send me a message if u want any tips from someone a couple of months ahead of you

Reactions: 2 people

matthew84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok thank you yeah I've got to see a dietician next week I think the most annoying thing that I find is having to do the blood tests my fingers feel abused but I guess over time it's some thing you get used to and let me know how that dafne course went I think it's a couple of weeks yet before I have to do mine

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah you'll get used to the testing, rotate which fingers u use to test and change the lancet (the sharp bit) in your finger pricker regularly cuz if it gets blunt it hurts more. You'll probably find you test loads for a while to get used to everything.

I figure even if the DAFNE course isn't that useful it will be good to meet other ppl in the same situation. A friend of mines husband was recently diagnosed and when we all met up for a night out we were boring on about it all evening lol :)

Type1Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs and lows
I was diagnosed on 11th September type 1. Have been signed up for the DAFNE course, although was told it could be a 6 month waiting list. Had my diabetes clinic on Friday 19th September and a DAFNE instructor came into my meeting too, she feels I have grasped carb counting well, I use an app called '' fat secret'', its great fro colorie and carb counting. She is going to try and get me onto the course asap so fingers crossed. Once you get your head into carb counting and your insulin ratios it all becomes a little clearer.
Good luck, we will all get to a stable level eventually im sure!!

mcwarrior

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Welcome to the club, i was diagnosed on 30th June this year, So much to learn, just on my honeymoon period now, so numbers are good most of the time. Not sure how long that will last.
Just when you start to get your head round it all you go in to the honeymoon phase, and you will think the docs got it wrong and your cured, unfortunately you wont be, its just sticking 2 fingers up at you, to wind you up.

Reactions: 4 people