Had my cataract op yesterday!

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey!
Just an update on my op. Had my left eye done yesterday, under GA, all went well. Slept through the most of yesterday, but took my eye patch off today without issues. The first moment I took it off I started feeling really sick after few seconds, had to close my eyes and lay down... Started opening my left eye for short periods and resting, to get my brain a chance to get used to it. It's much better now, though it still hurts and the headache... :/

I have to admit, I didn't think my vision was THAT BAD. But it was. My other eye, I considered it "not so bad". I even thought I may not need a surgery on it at all. How wrong I was...! Truth is, I was basically blind on my left eye, up to the point were my brain started ignoring it completely. Maybe that why getting it "back" now has been tough.

I'm definitely going for my right eye in November. I forgot how many colors are there! My world was so utterly grey for the last months.

I got 2 sets of eye drops, to take 4 times a day. I'm resting now, cannot do much anyway as my head starts hurting if I'm up for too long. But it's so awesome! I can see better every hour, everything getting less and less blurry. I had sort of a "fish eye" vision at first, but it's almost gone now.

I still can't believe how many colors are there!

Oh, my BG was perfectly stable before, during and after the op. And it seems good since then, so I consider myself lucky on that front :) let's hope it stays that way!

Reactions: 14 people

Flowerpot

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm pleased it all went well for you and things have improved so much already.

Great that your BG behaved well. Enjoy getting used to your new bright, multicoloured world. :)

Reactions: 2 people

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Fantastic :D I was wondering how you got on, so thanks for the update, and I'm glair it's gone so well :D

Signy

G

graj0

Hey! Just an update on my op.

Very pleased to hear things are literally looking good, I hope that continues.

I've just made an appointment to get a progress report on my left eye cataract, which can't be seen by the naked eye but the optician tells me that I've had one for a few years. I've just noticed that my vision with that eye is blurred when wearing glasses, something I'd not noticed before. May I ask you when you decided, or it was decided for you, that you should have it done? I feel that I can manage quite well at the moment, does the inevitable come on quickly?

All the best.

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Very pleased to hear things are literally looking good, I hope that continues.

I've just made an appointment to get a progress report on my left eye cataract, which can't be seen by the naked eye but the optician tells me that I've had one for a few years. I've just noticed that my vision with that eye is blurred when wearing glasses, something I'd not noticed before. May I ask you when you decided, or it was decided for you, that you should have it done? I feel that I can manage quite well at the moment, does the inevitable come on quickly?

All the best.
As I understand for some people it can take years to be noticed. Mine unfortunately was progressing very quickly and I basically lost vision in my left eye one or two months ago. My right eye is not getting better either. I went for the op because it started affecting my everyday life really badly, I was struggling with everyday stuff, not to mention work.

I guess you don't have to do anything about it unless it starts affecting your life. Neither of my cataracts can be see by looking at my eye (like the photos you can find online), but there are many different types, depending on were on the lens it's placed.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Well worth it, pleased it all went well Paulina :)

G

graj0

As I understand for some people it can take years to be noticed. Mine unfortunately was progressing very quickly and I basically lost vision in my left eye one or two months ago. My right eye is not getting better either. I went for the op because it started affecting my everyday life really badly, I was struggling with everyday stuff, not to mention work.

I guess you don't have to do anything about it unless it starts affecting your life. Neither of my cataracts can be see by looking at my eye (like the photos you can find online), but there are many different types, depending on were on the lens it's placed.
Thanks for that, the next time my MIL, bless her cotton socks, (did I say that? LOL), says, I can't see anything wrong, you're making it up, apart from repeating what my optician says, I can tell her from someone I know, that's not how it works. MIL had one done a few years back and never noticed a difference, plus kept saying it hurt for weeks on end. I'm hoping any discomfort isn't quite that long. Anyway thanks for the info, hope full recovery is very quick.

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for that, the next time my MIL, bless her cotton socks, (did I say that? LOL), says, I can't see anything wrong, you're making it up, apart from repeating what my optician says, I can tell her from someone I know, that's not how it works. MIL had one done a few years back and never noticed a difference, plus kept saying it hurt for weeks on end. I'm hoping any discomfort isn't quite that long. Anyway thanks for the info, hope full recovery is very quick.
I'm supposed to keep using the drops for 4 weeks, so we'll see how long it takes to settle down. So far my head starts hurting if I don't sit down every few minutes :) kind of forces me to rest :D I guess if it's not severe there's no point in fixing it.

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks everyone for the support!

Btw, is it normal for eye drops to end up in your throat? It always happens for me with all kinds of nasal sprays, etc.
I can feel the awful taste in the back of my throat few minutes after putting the drops in...

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, it is :D Tears drain from your tear ducts to the back of your throat, and you only become aware of that when you use nasty tasting eye drops

Same drainage for your nose hence the nasal spray being tasted . Lol, it doesn't do to enquire too deeply into our anatomies sometimes :eek::D

Signy

this is too difficult two

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks everyone for the support!

Btw, is it normal for eye drops to end up in your throat? It always happens for me with all kinds of nasal sprays, etc.
I can feel the awful taste in the back of my throat few minutes after putting the drops in...
Yes its normal. I often taste eye drops.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done for breezing through it so easily!

Brilliant to hear how successful it is.

Jilly986

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Animal cruelty, rude people
Good to hear.

I had an appointment for a cataract op back in February under local anaesthetic but when the time came I had a major panic attack so they rescheduled for me to have op under general. However my diabetes control is too erratic as I have a thyroid issue too which plays havoc. My cataract is getting worse to the extent its like the world is permanently foggy. I'm considering going for the local op and maybe taking valium to help. Have to say the whole thing is scaring the hell out of me

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good news, Paulina, I'm pleased to hear it's gone well. Take it easy. :)

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good to hear.

I had an appointment for a cataract op back in February under local anaesthetic but when the time came I had a major panic attack so they rescheduled for me to have op under general. However my diabetes control is too erratic as I have a thyroid issue too which plays havoc. My cataract is getting worse to the extent its like the world is permanently foggy. I'm considering going for the local op and maybe taking valium to help. Have to say the whole thing is scaring the hell out of me

I reckon I understand how you feel. It's just something about eyes and eyesight. The first time I had laser treatment on one of my eyes, I was distraught, and the consultant, though very kind, was obviously surprised that I was crying!
It sounds like the local op is a good plan for you and @PaulinaB's experience is encouraging. Best wishes. ;)

Jilly986

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Animal cruelty, rude people
Thank you. One way or another it has to be done

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@PaulinaB excellent news, very pleased for you!

My mom had her right eye done at a hospital here in Cyprus under local anesthetic a couple of months ago after putting it off for a long time.

I went along to the hospital for support and the operation itself only took a few minutes and was I was told painless. Most of the time seemed to be taken either in preparing for the operation or receiving instructions on after care. As I recall, mainly they were told not to rub the eye, take it easy, avoid strenuous work such as heavy lifting for a few days, keep taking two types of eye drops ( a mild antiseptic and something to keep the eye hydrated) and come back in a week for a check up and then a second check up after a month,

She no longer needs glasses for that eye and is due to have her other eye done in January.

Pavlos