Newly Diagnosed

mia160505

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
hi , iv been metformin for 3 weeks , and type 2 , i have been very poorly for over a year , no energy , feeling sick , bed ridden ,and not eating properly, a few mouthfuls and that's it , im also on rheumatoid medication , and steroids , the dr said i could have become diabetic due to steroid or because of a under active thyroid , what id like to know is why did it take so long for my symptoms to come out , my blood glucose levels were 29.9 , and yesterday was 5.9 but today its 9.4 , i had been presenting signs for a while and yet my dr didn't pick it up , it was because i become so poorly on holiday that as soon as i came back of the plane i went straight to the drs my self ,

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think for any of us to speculate why something wasn't picked up wouldn't really make much sense. It sounds like you have other health issues requiring you to take strong drugs, which could impact on how you have felt.

Do you take medication for your under active thyroid too?

Did your doctor give you a meter to test your bloods? Looking at your levels, they are significantly improved, as you highlight yourself. What are you actually eating since you were diagnosed, and when are you testing?

I'm sorry to have asked quite so many questions.

mia160505

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
yes i am on thyroxine , and the nurse gave me a meter on friday as i had borrowed one before that , also for the last week i have had really bad wind / gas like rotten eggs , which from about 6 in the evening i have felt so sick and unwell i cant eat anything , and thats the time im suppose to take the rest of diabetic medicine , does metformin cause this as well ,

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't and never have taken Metformin, but I do understand it can cause some digestive upsets, which often settle after a short while. If it doesn't settle, your Doc could perhaps prescribe a slow release version, which can be kinder on the system.

As I said before, we couldn't possibly speculate whether your longer term symptoms always related to diabetes, or whether something like your other issues and thyroid were giving you similar symptoms, with the steroids pushing you over the line more recently. Really, there's no value in that. Most of us go through an angry, denial phase. I know I did. I would urge you to focus on the future and how you might manage your portfolio of conditions for a better, healthier future.

You have already shown it is possible to achieve better blood scores that you were at your diagnosis, so please concentrate on that positivity. There are lots of people on here with years of experience who will help you. So, please stick around and ask any questions you have.

Reactions: 3 people

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi and welcome

Metformin is affectionately known as metfarting for a reason you know :).

I have been on it (glucophage) for years, luckily without the windy side effects.

I read that people can tolerate the slow release variety better, so you could ask for that if things do not improve.

Pavlos

Reactions: 2 people