Long time T1, new around here ;)

sepuku

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi all,

I'm 33 years old, and I've been Type 1 diabetic for about 31 years.
I've been stupid with my diabetes many years ago, seen it all, tried it, got the t-shirt, ended up in hospital a number of times, and lived to tell the tale, and now I'm well behaved with it.
Recently switched from injections for those 31 years, to a pump about 4 months ago, and loving the results I'm getting. Recent HbA1c was 58 (7.5% in old school money), and should get that lower next time its tested.

I've never really been one to hide my diabetes. Pointless in my view. The more people question what it is I'm doing (whether that means complete strangers asking questions about it, or newly diagnosed people), the more I can explain why it is I choose to do it and how my diabetes is going to respond to that, and the less misconceptions get spread around (like "Is it because you ate too much sugar as a kid?", thats always a favourite).

Happy to answer questions, or just be a sounding board about the frustrations of it all. It is a PAIN IN THE A*** afterall! Unfortunately, its what we have to deal with. So do it, or die, right?

Reactions: 5 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Welcome to the forum.

Really pleased you've managed to turn things around, I'm sure now that your using a pump your Hba1c will fall further, we have had many members lately switching to pump therapy and they have nothing but praise for it.

Best wishes and look forward to your contribution.