Does diabetes cause 'dirty' yellow teeth?

notafanofsugar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
everything good for me! getting better though x
I have just come back from a dentist's appointment, at which I was told I had dirty teeth! Does diabetes cause yellow teeth? :facepalm:

I genuinely had no idea diabetes could affect my teeth. I'm slightly surprised, as my own dentist's teeth weren't exactly sparkling.

I'm slightly offended but very worried that I'm now walking around with yellow, stained teeth. My teeth don't look dirty (or at least I thought) and I certainly don't think they are yellow! They don't bleed, I floss and they genuinely look like a nice pair of gnashers that have been looked after.

Does anyone else have 'dirty' teeth? If you do/did, please tell me how you got rid. I am going to buy Oral-B Whitening toothpaste. I was using Colgate's version, but maybe that was the problem!

Bah, too early for wine! :banghead:

Reactions: 2 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Did the dentist perhaps mean you have a build up of calculus or hard plaque? A few people have spoken about the impact of high blood sugars on their teeth and gums, although none that I can recall specifically citing "dirty teeth". Perhaps you have developed a lax habit, and are missing some corners in your usual routine?

Has your dentist asked you to have a scale and polish or a session with the Hygienist as a result of the consultation? Failing that, what guidance did s/he give you?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Not been told that before, see if your dentist hygienist can help with the yellowing.

itconor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i have decent teeth never had any problems not even a filling at 25. i put it down to having a low sugar diet for so long...

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I certainly had hard plaque.
Built up every night, and wouldn't brush off.
Regular scale and polish needed.
A change of diet, no sugars, no processed white flour etc, no starch, low GI/GL food, and it has vanished completely.
So not directly caused by diabetes, but certainly indirectly related.

C

catherinecherub

It may not be anything to do with diabetes but rather what you eat and drink or even your age if you are referring to discoloured teeth.

Tobacco -- whether it's smoked or chewed -- is one of the worst offenders. Coffee, tea, and colas are culprits as well. Other possible causes include fruit juices (especially grape), red wine, fruits such as blueberries, soy sauce, and curry. Think of it this way: If a food or beverage can leave permanent stains on clothes or carpets, it can probably taint your teeth.

Aging also contributes to the yellowing of teeth. The enamel, which is the hard outer coating of your teeth, wears thin, allowing the underlying layer of yellowish dentin to show through.

And some stains are what's called intrinsic. That is, they actually occur on the inside of the tooth. For example, children who take the antibiotic tetracycline (or whose mothers took it during pregnancy) often have such stains. Silver-colored fillings can sometimes leach out and stain the surrounding tooth.
http://health.howstuffworks.com/wel...e-remedies/home-remedies-for-whiter-teeth.htm

I use interdental brushes rather than floss.
http://www.dentocare.co.uk/Products/Interdental-Brushes

Reactions: 6 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I have just come back from a dentist's appointment, at which I was told I had dirty teeth! Does diabetes cause yellow teeth? :facepalm:

I genuinely had no idea diabetes could affect my teeth. I'm slightly surprised, as my own dentist's teeth weren't exactly sparkling.

I'm slightly offended but very worried that I'm now walking around with yellow, stained teeth. My teeth don't look dirty (or at least I thought) and I certainly don't think they are yellow! They don't bleed, I floss and they genuinely look like a nice pair of gnashers that have been looked after.

Does anyone else have 'dirty' teeth? If you do/did, please tell me how you got rid. I am going to buy Oral-B Whitening toothpaste. I was using Colgate's version, but maybe that was the problem!

He could just be after your money!

Reactions: 16 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Firstly, are your teeth a different colour from before you were diagnosed?

If so, what dietary changes have you made?

As @catherinecherub says, there are various foods that can stain teeth.
With me, it is too much tomato, and black tea or coffee. I'm not a fan of red wine.
This effect is easily countered by a whitening toothpaste.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
If my teeth go yellow I'll return them!

Reactions: 9 people

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
Mine haven't gone yellow, yet. And I have been on chemo and other horrific drugs.
If they do go yellow I'll change toothpaste and use one with a whitener.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wine is the worst offender for wrecking the enamel of teeth. Mine are now past it. German wines in particular are far too acid for teeth.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Perhaps not the diabetes, as such. Medication, possibly, plaque build up, stained with red wine, would cause yellow staining.
Maybe the dentist wanted to charge extra for an extensive scale and polish?

H

Hooked

Put an insecurity in your head and hopes you'll be enquiring soon as to the price of teeth whitening.
If you were happy with your teeth before this, just put it down to rude bedside manners.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
You'll wonder where the yellow went
When you brush your teeth with Pepsident!

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
If Diabetes does affect your teeth then maybe some help to pay the dentists bills would be ideal seeing as have to take the darn medication which i hate but hey we have to do what we have to do but I don't think a dentist should tell you "YOU have dirty teeth" I because after all we try keep them as clean as possible ..My problem is they are wearing away ...very thin on the edges and they was not before grr

nirvana1994

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
How rude! Never been told this before. Sounds like your dentist is just rude, which is a real shame.

Reactions: 4 people

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
My dentist told me - coffee,tobacco,red wine are worst culprits
to yellowing of the teeth .
I have always preferred to floss inbetween the teeth more
than just brushing them clean .
It gives a more clean feel (plus clean my tongue too!)

Hate using a mouthwash as they burn too much 'ouch'

Wondered about your dentist possibly targeting you for a future
expensive teeth whitening treatment ?
Something to just be aware of - as it is very expensive -
good little money spinner to some .

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
My dentist told me - coffee,tobacco,red wine are worst culprits
to yellowing of the teeth .
I have always preferred to floss inbetween the teeth more
than just brushing them clean .
It gives a more clean feel (plus clean my tongue too!)

Hate using a mouthwash as they burn too much 'ouch'

Wondered about your dentist possibly targeting you for a future
expensive teeth whitening treatment ?
Something to just be aware of - as it is very expensive -
good little money spinner to some .
Corsodyl mouthwash doesn't burn - it is smooth.