Weight v Diabetes

Porgiee

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
HI all,

I have just been diagnosed with type 2, this after 8 years of being a pre-diabetic, I am 22 stone and a heavy drinker, (2 bottles of Red a day for years), over eating very much so in the last year, if I lost weight, stopped drinking, exercised, eat the right food etc. Can I reverse the disease?
:(

Reactions: 2 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
HI all,

I have just been diagnosed with type 2, this after 8 years of being a pre-diabetic, I am 22 stone and a heavy drinker, (2 bottles of Red a day for years), over eating very much so in the last year, if I lost weight, stopped drinking, exercised, eat the right food etc. Can I reverse the disease?

Why not try it and see?
Some of us have. Though there will be a debate on whether it is reversed or controlled. Either way the alternative is to carry on as you are, and almost inevitably get complications of diabetes.

Scary thing diagnosis, but you have had pre-warning. Maybe time to take stock?

Suggest you read, reflect, ask questions and formulate a sustainable plan of diet and exercise. Plenty of helpful advice on forum, so welcome and good luck.

this is too difficult two

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
HI all,

Possibly. I did. Not sure reversed is what I have done but I don't have blood glucose issues any more. (Usually)

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who interrupt you when you're talking and people who won't listen.
HI all,

I believe it's probably more likely you'll control, rather than reverse, your diabetes. However, what;s more important that your blood glucose is as close to a normal range as possible (preferably normal), because ultimately it's that, rather than a label, that will lead you to complications. Does that make sense?

It doesn't really matter now whether your lifestyle has led you to where you are now, but I think you've now realised you can't carry on as you are. I wonder if you could gradually cut things down if you're finding it a huge change? Personally I prefer the cold turkey approach but I must admit I reduced my carbs gradually over a couple of weeks as I was a real carb addict and the transition just seemed too much. Regardless of whether you reverse your diabetes, you will most likely find a huge benefit to your health and well-being if you make some lifestyle changes.

best of luck, you know where to find us if you need us :)

Reactions: 4 people

Porgiee

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you all, yes you are right, I have no choice, aiming to loose 4 stone in 6 months, lost 5lb in a week, just not drinking, that seems easy, its the constant nagging that goes on in the mind for snacking! LOL

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who interrupt you when you're talking and people who won't listen.
Thank you all, yes you are right, I have no choice, aiming to loose 4 stone in 6 months, lost 5lb in a week, just not drinking, that seems easy, its the constant nagging that goes on in the mind for snacking! LOL
Wow, well done, that's a brilliant start :)

When you think about how many calories alone are in alcohol, you'll save quite a few by cutting it out, assuming you're drinking plenty. I bet you feel really inspired and motivated now, so ride on the crest of that wave...

Best of luck, I know reducing alcohol isn't easy x

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
tell me about it, carbs are addictive to me
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarbliving/a/Food-Cravings.htm

re the booze, you know it has to go, if you have trouble, an antidepressant might take the edge off it for you. like they do for giving up smoking.

best wishes

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome.

You have made a great start, and hopefully you can stay motivated as you see the pounds drop off.

JohnD54

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rice
@Porgiee,
We are of a similar age facing similar problems, diagnosed Mid May this year at that time regular drinker, Guinness was my drink of choice, don't even like to thing about how many pints per week. 5'10" 15 stone.

Now just over 3.5 months from deciding to take action. 12st 6lbs.

I used to have the will power drink wise of a chocolate fire guard, (Never felt bad, got hangover or missed work).

I opted not to cut it out completely but changed tipple to Vodka and diet coke, and included any drinks in my daily
Calorie allowance.

I think you,will find that with the right diet and a little more exercise your target is possible, some on here would say
Trying to lose that much weight in that little time is too,much, I neither agree nor disagree with this, since as with D
we are all different.

Suggest you keep posting and ask as many questions as you want to, there is invariably answers to be found on here.

Good,luck on your quest, keep us informed

Reactions: 3 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
HI all,

Hello Porgiee. Welcome aboard.

What a shame to cross the line after a decent while in the pre-diabetes classification.

I hope you don't mind me asking; but if you are determined to do your best to turn this around, what stopped you making lifestyle changes whilst pre-diabetic? I'm not making any judgements; just curious because I often wonder how I would have reacted if I'd had the opportunity.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
HI all,

If you do this, yes, is gonna help a lot. But I think that type 2 will turn into type 1 at certain point, even if you stop with all these things.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
If you do this, yes, is gonna help a lot. But I think that type 2 will turn into type 1 at certain point, even if you stop with all these things.
Based on what? :banghead: Type 2 diabetes can be stopped in its tracks if he does what he's planning to do.

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
@Matheus Guerra,
Type 2 DOESN'T turn into type1, It may have been misdiagnosed or you may kill off all your beta cells due to gluco-toxicity (rather than T1's autoimmune demise)

vicky72

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
HI all,

Morning

When you were told you were pre diabetic did you do anything in the 8 years to try and stop it going to type 2 ? I'm not being rude I am just really interested to know ? I was told I am pre a few weeks ago but I could have been pre for years and not known.