Abbott's new Freestyle Libre CGM

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
This is a new sort of continuous glucose monitoring device which Abbott has produced, , called the Freestye Lilbre. It's developed, and currently being trialled in Britain, Germany and France, but only for *Type 2s* (unfortunately for us). It sounds fantastic though, for those of us who are struggling to find out what our systems are doing. I wonder if it may be released as slightly cheaper than other CGM devices, because it's simpler.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't understand why any meter would be restricted in use to T2s? Never heard of such a thing.

Last edited by a moderator:

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I like that. I * want* to be part of an unruly bunch. We get somewhere!!

Reactions: 4 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Maybe they are scared it will go wrong during the trial, and figure there will be less fallout if the failure doesn't, er... have a terminal effect...

Just a suggestion...

Reactions: 8 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Maybe they are scared it will go wrong during the trial, and figure there will be less fallout if the failure doesn't, er... have a terminal effect...

Just a suggestion...
Are you a bad girl, Brunneria, or are you just drawn that way? ;-)

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
* imagines a bunch of unruly Type 1's running amok with the meters on trial *:rolleyes:

It sounds like great fun! Count me as volunteered ! :D

@Brunneria , I like the way you think :D You have a point though, errors wouldn't have a potentially serious effect . And maybe Type 2's are cheaper than mice ? ;)

Signy

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Cheaper than mice?

:eek:

I wouldn't be surprised! Mice are bloomin expensive nowadays!

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Interesting ! Thanks for the link :)

It sounds good in some ways, but I know I couldn't self fund one. So unless there is a rapid turn around in thinking for the NHS , I doubt I'll get my paws on one .

Oh, mice....plenty around here , despite the plague of cats :rolleyes:

Signy

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I couldn't afford to fund one on a permanent basis but perhaps to use every now and then.
I haven't seen anything in French about it and nothing on the French Abbott site when I searched it so I registered on the UK site. I then thought to email the French site yesterday and got an immediate reply saying that it was going to be on sale in two weeks.
Decisions, decisions : wait until others have experimented with it, wait and see if the French health service decides to fund it (they don't fund any other CGMS, my hospital has one they can loan for a couple of weeks but it is thanks to a charity).

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Update on the people who have it now.

Few people finding it is coming off (1week in). One person has contacted Abott and they are receiving a replacement sensor.

Two have had allergy to it. One of them also reacts to dexcom sensors so no surprises there. Again, he contacted abbott and is receiving a replacement sensor so he can retry with a barrier underneath.

Main "complaint" is that there's no hiding from the data. It's really quite accurate (or close to finger prick readings) and it is flagging up all their errors haha

Reactions: 8 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Speaking as someone with no experience of the stick on sensor process, what does it stick on with?

I suppose getting a reaction to the 'glue' would be a major concern. Especially if it is stong enough to last 2 weeks.

That hadn't occurred to me before. :(

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Speaking as someone with no experience of the stick on sensor process, what does it stick on with?

I suppose getting a reaction to the 'glue' would be a major concern. Especially if it is stong enough to last 2 weeks.

That hadn't occurred to me before. :(

I'm not sure what it is exactly. The guy who reacts to dexcom and libre DOESN'T react to his pump site though. The rash comes up within 24 hours on sensors so it's a weird one

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
What are the timescales and costs on this in UK? Anyone know? I am absolutely desperate for CGM but NHS won't fund and I can't afford the consumables. I currently have to test in the middle of the night as I sometimes drop low and frequently wake up very high - NHS response - increase your levels. At least scanning during night wouldn't be so disruptive to sleep.

Phoenix - what price are they in France?

Smidge