Milled flaxseed

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A quick question.

After reading on here about people using flaxseed sprinkled on yogurts etc. I have decided to try it. I bought a bag of Linwood's Milled this morning. I understand it can cause certain bowel problems at first, so my question is, how much should I sprinkle on my yogurt in a morning, and then do I increase this amount gradually, and to what?

Another question - I have poured it in to a Tupperware type box. How long will it keep without losing nutrients?

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Try in the beginning 25 grams. I eat 100 grams of ground flax a day without any problems. Ground flax is best kept in a closed container and in a cool place in order to prevent rancidity. This rancidity is due to the oxidation of the unsaturated fatty acids within the flax oil. Same as storing butter in the fridge to stop it going rancid.

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I use a desert spoon full of linseeds a day, maybe best to start with a teaspoon full to start off with and see how you get on, with regards to the Tupperware container, as Pasha says as long as it's kept sealed in-between use it should be fine, mine can last for around 3 weeks, if the seeds go off I think they give off a strong smell anyway.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks guys,

I just measured a heaped teaspoonful. 3grams Lol. That won't be very beneficial. Maybe I'll start with a dessert spoonful and see what happens.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Thanks guys,

I just measured a heaped teaspoonful. 3grams Lol. That won't be very beneficial. Maybe I'll start with a dessert spoonful and see what happens.

tbh Bluetit, I never noticed it effecting my bowels when I first started using linseeds, but that said maybe better leaving it at 3g for a few days until your body adapts.

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
We are quite lucky as we can buy 1kg bags of linseed for £1 78p and we grind the seeds ourselfs, all my family now add about 1 desert spoonful each day to their meals. None of us have any side effects etc;
The seeds have quite a good long-life and when when we grind them our ,container last about 2 weeks.
The shop we use is quite unusual ( I think they are a religious group and so friendly) and very busy, some goods are expensive and some are great value.
Here is the link for info: Daily Bread wholesome food | DailyBread.co.uk

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Definitely start with a large heaped teaspoon for a week.... There is no way I would go for more than that... And I did have slow transit so things inside used to get disgustingly blocked up with me.

It may have no effect. My hubby has never had any problems with stomach and has the same as me without noticing any difference.

I built myself up to two heaped teaspoons now and my stomach is fantasticly balanced now.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
We bought little containers for us from Waitrose love life (or something like that) in their cooking /bakeware section where they sell 1 portion measurement things for cereals and pasta etc.
Tesco do same. They are small enough to put in for a week and are small enough to leave out on the worktop with the chia seeds in another. As I can forget to eat, my hubby leaves my ramekin of fruit out with a plate on top with seed containers on top!! (Cream in fridge).
Rest of packet from Linwoods is self sealing so goes back in cupboard..

So easy... So brilliant

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you everyone for your replies and suggestions.

I bought my bad (425g) of Linwood's milled organic flaxseed from our local supermarket. There weren't any smaller bags, and as my hubby won't eat it, it will be lasting me a long time! It's well sealed in my self-sealing container and I'll keep it in the fridge. I don't even know if I'll like it yet, but have had a bit on its own and found it fairly tasteless. I'll see how I go on with a heaped tsp tomorrow.

Thanks again.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I get 3 months' worth of the Linwoods milled flaxseed on standing order from Amazon, and my current bag sits in the fridge, and the rest go in a cupboard in my husband's work shop area in the garage - the coolest place outside of the fridge!

I like the golden seeds better than the standard brown ones, and use mine mainly as a part of the "flour" I use to make sweet or savoury muffins and my cheesy shortbread. I think I generally average about an ounce a day this way. I don't actually like eating it neat as I find it sticks in between my teeth! :eek::depressed:

I don't get any bowel issues, but I do find it helps with regular bowel movements, and it makes a difference if I'm not eating it.

Robbity

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
I have 2 dspoons every day with my "porridge (not as you know it - it's oat-free)" along with 2 dspoons each of ground almonds & coconut flour. I mix it with boiling water, m'wave to thiicken it, & add double cream. No problems.

Reactions: 6 people

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
l have a heaped flax a heaped chia a heaped hemp tspoon on each meal but reading how much folks here have will up it l think. As it isnt cheap may ditch the hemp.
l keep unused in the cupboard and in use in small tupperware but think may get bigger ones for a whole bag to make life easier.

Lesleywo

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My addiction to carbs
Hi Bluetit

Probably best to start off slowly and gradually increase. Always store the seeds in the fridge and grind them freshly before using them, otherwise they go rancid. So best not to buy the ones that already ground.

I find them pretty tasteless, generally sprinkle on muesli (1T) or use some in oatbran muffins or in flax crackers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, I tried them this morning sprinkled on my Greek yogurt and strawberries. I measured out 10g which was about a desert spoonful. Tasteless but gritty, and I can see why @Robbity gets it stuck in her teeth! Lol. 10g gave me 2g protein, 5g fat, and 3g fibre. I will see how it goes. I think I may have overdone it!

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions.

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Bring them to the boil swells the seeds & avoids the grittiness & sweells the fibre. I buy the "Harvest Morn" 225 g packs in Aldi, ready milled & mixed with gojiberries, sunflower & pumpkin seeds. They are eaten within a week, so no storage problems, & no digestive problems.

You could bring to the boil in milk & allow to cool to add to yoghurt.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Bring them to the boil swells the seeds & avoids the grittiness & sweells the fibre. I buy the "Harvest Morn" 225 g packs in Aldi, ready milled & mixed with gojiberries, sunflower & pumpkin seeds. They are eaten within a week, so no storage problems, & no digestive problems.

You could bring to the boil in milk & allow to cool to add to yoghurt.

I'll give that a try tomorrow. Thanks.

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
l was just looking at a manchester shop we have been to before called Unicorn they do linseed (flax) 1kg for 2.50 l think it must be un ground but would be huge savings if you can grind it.

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
What a plank l forgot to say l read someone puts them in a blender and whizzes them anyone else tried that as we don't have a coffee grinder

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't have a coffee grinder either. I wonder if a pepper mill might work?
I tried bringing it to the boil this morning as suggested by @IanD Revolting, never again! It went all slimy.