Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Fascinating.

Thank you for posting the link.

Another reason to avoid artificial sweeteners - as if the other reasons weren't compelling enough!
(Mind you, I keep xylitol in the kitchen and use small amounts, but even that has had some bad press)

Brit90

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I use Stevia - I would recommend it if you like sweetness
But be warned too much and its nasty!

Reactions: 2 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use Stevia - I would recommend it if you like sweetness
But be warned too much and its nasty!

I find stevia bitter, even in tiny quantities, but I'm looking forward to trying erythritol...

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I must admit, I haven't read the article, but part of my intense testing over the last couple of days was to investigate late afternoon and evening modestly higher rises. The only difference I could find was drinking more sugar free squash. I cut it out and the numbers have reverted to where I would expect them to be.

I have always had some squash, as even the bottled water elsewhere doesn't taste very good, but I have only just had the rises. I'm concluding slightly more squash, and maybe a little stronger. I will do some targeted testing over the next week or so though, just to absolutely prove it.

To be fair, I was testing every hour, on the hour (in addition to my standard tests), and the highest number I saw was 5.7, so it's just the pedant in me taking over. :sorry:

Oh well.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
For the amount I use (mainly just sugar-free squash) I don't think I'll worry too much about it.

andybiddulph

That sweeteners cause changes in gut bacteria is not the most important result obtained by Segal and Elinav (New Scientist 20th September 2014) What these results show is glucose intolerance which leads to diabetes is an infectious disease. That it can be transferred from men to mice by faecal transplant is definite proof. Bacteria with a toxin which is an O-linked N-acetylglucoseamine transferase, such as Clostridium novyi Type A and Klebsiella mobilis are capable of causing T2DM and its complications by interfering with the hexamine signalling pathways and damaging the cytoskeleton leading to uncontrolled glucose production and porous membranes.

This raises the prospect of both a cure and prophylaxis in the form of a capsule containing a cocktail of bacterophages specific to these organisms. As they say, this is worthy of further investigation.