Trip to Algeria - Bloomin Hot

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Next week, I'll be deep in the Sahara, forecast is about 40-45C all week.

I'm thinking at least a 20% basal reduction (I had a 10% reduction for most of the UK summer this year)

I'm also thinking about discarding my open insulin afterwards, about a week earlier than otherwise. I need to take an emergency supply as well, which I won't be able to refrigerate and was thinking of ditching that after a week at 45C as well.

What do you reckon?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Seems sensible, the Frio Wallets will help keep your insulin cool but in that heat they'll need re-soaked every couple of days. Rather you than me, that is way too hot.

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
Hot hot hot!! Sounds like a good plan re insulin. The Frio's will be an absolute necessity at that temperature. Is it work or play? Enjoy anyway

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's work at an oil/gas facility in the south of the country. I'll have a normal supply of repalcement insulin or just in case I drop a pen, which I will be able to refrigerate or keep cool in the frio wallet.

We are also packing an emergency grab bag "just in case" because there is a known potential terrorist threat, containg basic stuff in case of serious vehicle accident, need for trauma care etc. I'm including a glucagon kit and spare pen with novorapid which I won't be able to refrigerate, hence thinking about throwing teh insulin away afterwards, despite the cost.

iHs

What about part filling empty pen cartridges using a syringe and vial. You could keep the vial in the cool and just take out 10-15u of bolus with you in a cartridge. Ive never looked back doing this and it enables me to keep safe if my bg levels play up and I dont know why and also if the pump cartridge runs down a bit low and Im not sure if I will have enough insulin to get me through the night or in the day.

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I will always have my in use pens with me, which will also get discarded after the trip, about a week earlier than I would have otherwise.