Fasting test

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The fasting one was 5.5 and that was when they told me about pre diabetes.

And with regards to fasting and post meal they said:

Fasting 5.5 upwards pre diabetes
Post meal 7.5 upwards pre diabetes
How long post meal? Depending on the contents of the meal and the timing, 90% of the population could "fail" that test.

"Prediabetes" sounds worryingly like a job creation scheme for someone.

Reactions: 2 people

lck23

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
How long post meal? Depending on the contents of the meal and the timing, 90% of the population could "fail" that test.

"Prediabetes" sounds worryingly like a job creation scheme for someone.
2hrs post meal! My lunches have been 3 times while meal bread mayonnaise turkey salad and green juice? Breakfast 2 eggs ketchup and 2 x whole meal toast! Supper veg and protein and last night was wagamama with white rice etc

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I cannot see that you have anything to worry about. Your numbers are normal, especially as you ate ketchup, bread and rice. Your doctor's fasting test was virtually normal, and bearing in mind it was well after you got out of bed and you therefore probably had a liver dump or had slightly raised levels due to the stress of the forthcoming test, is nothing to worry about either. Fasting tests are notorious for being unrealistic anyway. There are so many variables.. This is why they are no longer used to diagnose diabetes on their own and why we have the HbA1c test as confirmation. In any event, when doctors do use a fasting test to diagnose, they have to do two, not one.

When do you see your doctor again? I think he will be pleased not to have yet another diabetic patient on his books!

lck23

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
He did the fasting test with one of the monitors that I have at home - is that normal? Because I figured then that it would be inaccurate? But would I be getting the "normal" numbers at home as often as I am if my levels were in diabetic ranges anyway? Thanks for your help!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
He did the fasting test with one of the monitors that I have at home - is that normal? Because I figured then that it would be inaccurate? But would I be getting the "normal" numbers at home as often as I am if my levels were in diabetic ranges anyway? Thanks for your help!

Blimey, your doctor is weird. You have seen from what others have said that home meters are not accurate and could be up to 15% wrong either way. At the very least he could have sent you for a proper fasting test with blood from your veins, checked at the lab. If you want absolute peace of mind, I suggest you ask for a proper test, fasting and HbA1c. although I really don't think there is anything to worry about, but I'm not a doctor, just a diabetic.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. As others have said, your readings are effectively normal. Fasting tests don't tell you too much due to the overnight liver dump so the 2hrs post-meal readings are more useful. I would just be sensible about the amount of carbs your eat and keep you weight in the good range and hopefully you can forget about diabetes. Do keep measuring every so often and if the GP can do an HBa1C test that would guide him.

lck23

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you!

It's weird that the test wasn't done using anything more than a blood glucose monitor... He said that if we got consistently "normal" readings then at the moment diabetes wasn't on the cards but he diagnosed pre diabetes...

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I think you can stop worrying, but do stay around on the forum and take it as a mini-warning. Test occasionally, especially after a carb laden meal, and if you really are worried, see the doctor again.

lck23

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok thanks!
My boss (I'm a nanny) who is a gp looked at the readings I've been getting and she seems quite confident it is all ok... I just don't know. I've been really stressing about it, and it's taking up my whole thoughts... I think I'm poorly diagnosed about type 2 as I've heard so much contradicting info it's scared me
A lot

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Believe your GP boss and relax. Why do you think you don't know, and what is confusing?

lck23

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Some people say type 2 can be reversed, others say it can't... Some people say it's a "death sentence" others say the opposite... I know diabetes doesn't care who you are or what you do or what you look like, but I have heard anlotnof people tell me only overweight people get it (which I absolutely know 100% is NOT true)

I had some good at yo sushi at 3pm and did sugar just now for 2hrs - 5.2 5.6 5.8

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
OK here's my two pennoth. Whether or not diabetes can be reversed forever is something no-one knows for sure. However, it can be controlled to the extent that blood sugar levels are in the non-diabetic range. Whether you call this reversed or controlled is a matter of personal choice. It can be a death sentence, but only if poorly controlled for a long period of time. All we can do is accept our condition, respect it, and control it. There are many people with diabetes living long and otherwise healthy lives, and I hope to be one of them!

lck23

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
With strict control and keeping blood in normal levels do the complications eg blindness amputations etc do they occur?

lck23

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you :) I really appreciate all the comments you've taken the time to write to me! Everyone on this forum is super friendly and welcoming!

It's all confusing as all of my blood tests have been with my Acuchek Aviva and the doctors one was with a different monitor. Plan of action for now, cut carbs and sugar, lose some weight ?

Reactions: 4 people

martinsk8r

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Gliklazide.
Trying to get a dive medical.
I think your readings are very good. There is something called 'dawn phenominon' where the liver dumps sugar into the blood ready for the start of the day. I had 12hr fasting ready for a hospital blood test and the reading was 11. 2 hours later after the test and not eating it had risen to 12.5.
So, I think your readings are normal and should rise like this. Keep thinking back to nature, it has (almost) all the answers. If you were hungry you would need blood sugar to hunt. Otherwise you would be too weak to do anything. Yes this is opposite to what we would expect but it is your body going on to reserve to get it to the next meal!