impaired glucose tolerance

venture234

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi ive recently been diagnosed with impaired glucose tolerance my result was 46 which is a shock has ive never needed to worry about my sugar its always been cholesterol. I came off my statins a year ago and have not only controlled my cholesterol but have managed to lower it to normal and lost nearly 2 stone just to find out in routine blood test that my sugars are high is this reversible or is it inevitable that I will end up diabetic my gp seems to think its not IF its WHEN which is quite depressing if there's nothing I can do

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome.

What a shock after you have done all that work to control cholesterol and lose weight (great weight loss by the way)

Yes, there is plenty you can do and it isn't a foregone conclusion that you will cross the line to diabetic. Many don't. However, you do have more work to do I'm afraid because diet is the key. Look on this as an early warning - you are lucky it has been caught now. Forget sugar - although it is to be avoided, but carbs are also the demons. Have a good look at your current diet and see where this problem is coming from. Too many sugary food/drinks? Too many carbohydrates? Most newly diagnosed have no idea that carbs turn to sugar once in the system. I know I didn't. The worst culprits are cereals, bread, rice, pasta and potatoes (whether white or brown) so maybe you are eating too many of these?

Ask as many questions as you like and keep posting. You will find a lot of support and friendly advice.

Reactions: 6 people

venture234

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The diabetic nurse said its basic advice should have reasonable portion of carbs on 3 meals and meat or fish on 2 meals and keep fats and sugar to a minimum. .....I thought wow thats helpful lol

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
LOL. She is churning out the rubbish NHS advice. This sort of advice is probably why her pre-diabetic patients cross the line.

Have a good browse round all the threads and you will see there are as many diets as there are members, but they all have one thing in common - all are reduced carb. It is scientific fact that carbs turn to sugar, so can't be that hard to work out we need to eat less of them if we want to keep our sugars down.

Reactions: 7 people

Sancho panza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just popped in to say hi and welcome
What a cracking avatar you have venture and so true
There's a few on here from that other county but don't worry we will soon have them outnumbered
But seriously there's some great advice on here we will soon put you in the right direction

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Just popped in to say hi and welcome
What a cracking avatar you have venture and so true
There's a few on here from that other county but don't worry we will soon have them outnumbered
But seriously there's some great advice on here we will soon put you in the right direction

Hey! I'm one of the ones from "that other county". Are you starting another war of the roses? You lost the last one. Lol ;)

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Start learning about LCHF ie low carbohydrates high fats diets. Its a system where you eat far less carbohydrates [glucose ] a normal amount of proteins and quite a lot of fats or oils. This way of eating also reduces triglycerides and increases high density cholesterol. There are plenty of forums here where you can ask specific questions and get good answers. Also plenty of information on the internet.

Luckily you have been diagnosed early and can now set about controlling your health most probably just by diet.Good luck with your efforts.

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello Venture. Lovely to see another Yorkshire on here. Your avatar is super. Welcome to the site. Lots of information nd very friendly, helpful people here. :)

Sancho panza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We haven't got him. He's in Leicester isn't he?

Sorry Venture, we are hijacking your thread.

Oh that's right he is lol well they both begin with L and they aren't Yorkshire so whoevers got him give him back

And yes sorry Venture we will stop hijacking

Carry on as you were

Reactions: 3 people

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who interrupt you when you're talking and people who won't listen.
Hey! I'm one of the ones from "that other county". Are you starting another war of the roses? You lost the last one. Lol ;)
I'm from "the other side" but now living on the right side of the border lol.

Welcome to the forum, i'm borderline diabetic too. Hba1c was 44 at last check in July. Better be lower than that now!

Reactions: 3 people

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who interrupt you when you're talking and people who won't listen.

akphoto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was diagnosed with Type 2, 7 yrs ago, and it was well under control with diet and exercise. The GP nurse was adamant that I didn't need to keep testing my blood sugar levels. About a month ago, I started feeling unwell with no energy and blurred vision. I asked a local pharmacy if they would do a blood sugar test for me and the value was 22mml/L. The pharmacist insisted that I see my GP, who was as alarmed as I was, and immediately referred me to Diabetes clinic at the local hospital. The diagnosis was rapid onset hyperglycaemia. Their reaction was to inject me with insulin and I'm now on a 4-times a day blood testing and 2 times a day insulin (increasing doses) injecting. At current insulin levels I'm still hyperglycaemic but it is decreasing very slowly. I'm on a 'healthy' diet that includes lots of carbs which I had thought were not a 'good thing' but the dietician said I had to keep carbs up as they gave me the energy I need. Any advice is very welcome as I didn't expect to end up on insulin.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi akphoto, have a look around the forum and decide for yourself what you need to ask. Most on here would recommending cutting carbs as much as you can as this will help lower your blood sugar levels.
Some really helpful people on here.
Welcome to the forum.