E cigs/vape sticks

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
I see what you are saying, and yes, I know I am not actually giving up rather than swapping. But, I am doing this more because I know I should than because I actually WANT to, so I don't have the motivation of willpower. I still want my fixes, just swapping for a different alternative. Also on another note, I have been neglecting the diabetes for a few months due to looking after my mother/acting out against it. I had no control over my life, as I was 24/7 on call, so I really resented not even being able to eat what I wanted and rebelled, especially as with caring for her, I couldn't find the time to work out the eating /insulin stuff, prepare proper meals etc and couldn't afford a hypo on top of that. She only passed away in July, and I also have all the legal and emotional **** from that too. So now is not really a good time for me to actually give up altogether, I am just trying to take baby steps to get my life back on track bit by bit and make minor improvements. And this is day 3 without a real smoky fag :)
For years I was in that position of knowing I should stop smoking but not wanting to.
I enjoyed my fifty rollups a day ... oh boy did I enjoy them.
People wouldn't smoke if it was horrible.
It's not an easy position to be in is it.
Best of luck with the digitized stuff ... it has to be healthier without all that tar and who knows one day .... one day you might actually want to stop ... and that's really the only time you will.
Don't even attempt it for anyone else ... has to be for you.
I dread to think what state I would be in if I hadn't stopped when I did.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
i kinda wanted to stop smoking because i didnt want cancer but loved smoking it was the kids driving me nuts leading up to stoptober that i happened to walk past a stall thingy in a shopping mall on the last day of august 2 years ago when the planets alligned as i was walking past, the dude turns to me noticing i was taking a passing interest and asks me if i smoked, a couple of minutes later id tried hes sampler and couldnt believe how close to smoking it felt, i never had a real one since, never finished my pouch, there was no need, thats the thing with ecigs, theres no nicotene cravings and no missing the fag in the fingers, i found it sooo easy, zero effort, zero craving, zero need for the real thing

but yes better not to of course :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

saffynix

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
being a diabetic
Hi, apart from being type2 I Have two brain aneurysms so was told in no uncertain words by my consultant to stop smoking .can u imagine the fear I had ,I had i aneurysm coiled the other being watched. So I went on to e cigs ,they even let me have them in hospital behind my curtain lol, within 6months I was on no nicotine and within two years am off cigs completely.i could not have done it without them as you can imagine the stress I'm under.so stick with it lol.

Reactions: 4 people

Janiept

Expert
Thanks for that info manicarrie. I wish there was a shop near here that sold all this stuff but I am out in the sticks so that would mean ordering on line and I feel as if I need to talk to somebody for best advice.

So they made you cough too when you first started using them?

So sorry to hear about you losing your Mum. I know that can knock you sideways so for you to be making this change is another stress at a difficult time.
Well done on how you have done so far. Keep on keeping on...............you will get there x

A

AnnieC

hi, im type2 and have ecigged for two years now, they do nothing to my bgs, they are of course not as good as nothing but are aa thousand times better than the fags, well done
Would you say you are addicted to the E ciggie now, 2 years seems to be a really long time to use it do you still need that support after so long or does it become really difficult to give the E cigs up

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Would you say you are addicted to the E ciggie now, 2 years seems to be a really long time to use it do you still need that support after so long or does it become really difficult to give the E cigs up

i was never not addicted, i have remained addicted to nicotene since i smoked real ones, if they stopped selling them tomorow, would i go back to the real things? quite possibly although id try very hard not to, the point is im now addicted to something less harmful, its not the best option, that would be to not have either, but this is the lesser of the too evils, much lesser, its like going from smoking 200 ciggies a week to 1, sure the one is bad, but a heck of alot better than 200

A

AnnieC

Yes I agree the E cigs are the better option but it would be better still to be free of nicotine altogether once that was out of your system you would loose the urge to smoke
I was a 20 a day smoker for over 40 years and never tried to give it up because I enjoyed smoking and never believed I would have the will power to do it anyway. I had never had any health problems until the day going for the pneumonia inoculation I found out I had high blood pressure which led to a blood test that showed I had a glucose intolerance as well and it frightened me. That was enough incentive to make me stop smoking and the nurse said it was the best thing I could do for myself I vowed then I would never smoke another cigarette and from that day I never did and I found it so much easier than I had ever believed possible because I was really determined to give up that is half the battle you have to really want to do it. I did not use any nicotine replacements as I did not want to get hooked on those. I just chewed normal gum and after a couple of weeks most of the nicotine craving had gone and it was more just missing having the cigarette in my fingers but that soon went to. That was 9 years ago and I have never been tempted to smoke again

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people

saffynix

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
being a diabetic
Hi just one thing I must add ,when I went on e cigs for first 3 months I was on medium nicotine then I went on no nicotine ,a lot of people don't realise you can get e cigs with no nicotine, I smoked most of my life and after I went on e cigs I really feel it's the cig in your hand and the puffing of the cig that's the addictive part, but no cigs for along time now, so it does work I'm in my 60s so do have experience lol

alfa

Well done to those who have quit tobacco. I quit smoking last year and now vape sometimes mostly with zero nicotine so it can be done. I don't feel addicted and can go for a week without it but it is a crotch for when you feel the need.

I tried cigalikes a few years ago and they made me cough and feel sick so ended up smoking again. This time I am using liquids and it is a bit of a trial and error to find the right gear. There are many different types out there so don't give up. Best way is to find a store where they will let you try some before you buy and set you up with a basic kit (get 2 batteries). There is also a lot of info on vaping forums.

If you like menthol, it sort of gives you a throat hit and I find I don't miss the nicotine so you could give that a try.

The EU are trying to pass legislation that could send many back to tobacco so anyone wanting to support vapers, please sign the EFVI as it has to be a step in the right direction.