Dentist Penalty Charge - Please help

Imperial

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Today I have received a letter claiming that I did not pay for my NHS routine dental checkup whilst I should have done.

I have a valid NHS Medical Exception Certificate and I presented this to the receptionist and I was told that I was not required to pay anything, so I didn't.

What should I do? I cannot call them until Monday and I am very anxious and stressed right now.

The appointment was in April of this year and I was diagnosed as a T1 diabetic in November of last year so this has been my only dental check up since diagnosis so I did not know I was not exempt and took the word of the receptionist.

The letter claims that I ticked I was receiving Income Based JSA which I know for a fact I did not tick. I would have paid if the receptionist had told me the correct information.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Calm down. They have clearly made a clerical error, and on Monday you can get this put right. Try not to stress, there is nothing you can do to change this until Monday and they are not going to send the bailiffs to your home.

Reactions: 5 people

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
hope you get it sorted
i have now a nhs medical exemption certificate, i thought that was just for free precriptions

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I didn't know a diabetes-based medical exemption applied to dental care. I thought it only applied to precription charges. Does it confer the right to free checkups?

Very little of dental care is covered by the NHS anyway, and even less of that is free.

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I understood that free NHS dental care is for people on certain welfare benefits and nothing to do with diabetes.
Sadly it doesn't exempt people on retirement pensions!
I have to pay the standard NHS charges for routine check ups and treatment.

Reactions: 4 people

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
Prescriptions and free Eye tests only I'm afraid but the receptionist played a part here too,don't worry-it's an honest mistake and one that I'm sure can be put right easily. :)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Agree with the advice above...

It's a standard letter they sent you. Since you were willing to pay. Go back & settle up!
The receptionist is probably in trouble for not giving you the right advice.. I would imagine your not the first person that was ill advised at the desk, then sent a letter...??!;)

A

AnnieC

I understood that free NHS dental care is for people on certain welfare benefits and nothing to do with diabetes.
Sadly it doesn't exempt people on retirement pensions!
I have to pay the standard NHS charges for routine check ups and treatment.
Same here we are pensioners but get no exemption for dental treatment or glasses get a feee eye test but still pay full price for the glasses
Just wondered though do T2's under retirement age get free prescriptions for their diabetic medicines

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
Same here we are pensioners but get no exemption for dental treatment or glasses get a feee eye test but still pay full price for the glasses
Just wondered though do T2's under retirement age get free prescriptions for their diabetic medicines

They do if they're on any diabetic meds such as Metformin etc

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
The letter claims that I ticked I was receiving Income Based JSA which I know for a fact I did not tick. I would have paid if the receptionist had told me the correct information.

Did you not read what you signed? If you didn't sign anything then take this up with the letter sender.

kaz65

Type of diabetes
Type 1
You need a NHS tax credit exemption certificate for free dentistry which is about your ability to pay and not diabetes

Reactions: 4 people