PROFUSE SWEATING IN THE HEAD/NECK

Adele99

If the sweating is related to the face and neck and occurs while or just after eating or drinking there is the possibility of Gustatory sweating caused by diabetic damage to nerve endings controlling parasympathetic and sympathetic nerve endings. Not sure it should happen to someone recently diagnosed unless they'd been an undiagnosed diabetic for some time with very elevated blood sugar levels.

Certainly some diabetics with peripheral neuropathy can experience excessive sweating in the chest etc. but medications, and all other possibilities would need to be ruled out first I'd think. There are certain drugs which can give relief to some people with Gustatory sweating, but not cure on their Reall effectiveness or possible side effects.

Reactions: 2 people

gingecoll

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
Tories
I suffer terribly from profuse sweating. The head, neck, chest and upper back are the issues for me. My armpits for instance, which you would expect to be affected are not!
It's embarrassing for me at times as my head sweats like someone has turned a hosepipe on!

I've found it to be worse when my blood sugars are very high, which is rare now and when I cycle it is ridiculous, it's not so much whilst I'm cycling but when I get to my destination and I no longer have the air movement to cool me. People comment all the time , I've even been asked if I'm on drugs!

The only positive of this sweating is it's usually my first sign of an impending hypo, if I suddenly start sweating profusely for no obvious reason I will test my blood and treat accordingly, this usually starts when my bg levels drop below 4.8

I have been diabetic for a year and have not considered it could be nerve damage, I just thought it was something diabetics suffered. Perhaps now I should mention it to my doctor.

C

chris lowe

Thanks Anna for your post. Dont think it can be menopause at my age - 72 - more likely high BS which I hope can be sorted with the result of the recent blood test. You're right about being persistent when it comes to your health - most of the GP's in my group seem to think everything you go to them for is "in your mind" and are reluctant to solve the problem for you. Judging by some of the other posts I have read on this site, this profuse sweating is not uncommon in diabetes. T

I don't know about that, I remember having to contact someone to see about getting pension credit for my mum some years ago, when she was in her 80"s and one of the questions they asked was could she be pregnant? Not unless it flippin" immaculate conception!! Is your sweating all the time, or just at night? I do get night sweats around my top half at night but not gone into wether it can be the meds yet. May ask the nurse at my next appointment.

Reactions: 2 people

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I have always been very fortunate and hardly ever sweated.... it can be a red hot day and still not sweated but now I sweat terribly I put it down to Diabetes and usually it starts when a hypo starting, that is the first sign for me..... very uncomfortable feeling but we have to soldier on so take each day as it comes.... :D

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I'm T1 but before I was diagnosed and my blood sugars were high I had the same thing. Now I'm back to normal because my blood sugars are controlled. Hopefully once ur doc gives you a meter and you're under control all will be back to normal :)

I too have this dreadful symptom too. I have recently bought some neck coolers.. You soak the scarves in cold water. A gel inside absorbs the cold water. The idea is that the cold gel cools the veins / arteries in the neck and therefore the blood going into head. I have found I have had very few incidents of dripping hair since I got these. I'm off to Australia later in Oct and hope that the gel scarves work when there .

JanetR

Type of diabetes
Type 2
HAVE JUST BEEN DIAGNOSED TYPE 2 AND PUT ON THREE MONTHS DIET ONLY. I AM SUFFERING TERRIBLY WITH PROFUSE SWEATING IN THE HEAD AND NECK - IS THIS NORMAL? WOULD LIKE TO HEAR FROM ANYONE ELSE WHO IS HAVING OR HAS HAD THIS PROBLEM AND HOW THEY WERE TREATED FOR IT.
Hi there. Have the same problem, get fed up with my hair being wet at the back etc. !! I am supposed to be be controlling it by diet extremely well, so why is this is happening. Never used to perspire even in a sauna!! At least it's helpful to know I am not alone. Hope you find help x

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
well at least I know it is not just me that sweats at the neck am tired of my hair getting wet so maybe cut it short just might solve the problem lol