Medical ID on 7 year old advise please

seven4774

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all
we are just getting our heads round diagnosis of our 7 year old type 1, should we be getting her to wear some form of medical id. she is usually either with us, the child-minder or at school. So a responsible adult is always around ?

Advise please

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
If it were me I would get one for her. You never know when it might be needed, better safe than sorry, etc. :cool:

Reactions: 2 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would have 'give sugary stuff' in big letters as well as diabetic, most people don't know to give sugar to someone hypo, obviously not your carers or teachers
does she have her own glucose for hypo on her and self administers? with assistance if necessary

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
For your own peace of mind and her safety.
I would be inclined to get one .

There are some fabulous bang on trend ones too .
Am sure she would love and enjoy to wear one .
There are some great funky coloured bracelets too
So she wouldn't and shouldn't feel any different than others
kind of thing .

You can have her medical details with your own contact number(s)
even etched on also .
She will be protected - regardless of which responsible adult she is with
Certainly a great idea to run with :)

lisa3079

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
my son also wears a silcone ID bracelet, he also carries a diabetic card with him at all times that states he's T1..

chrisp1234

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
My son is 6 and was diagnosed 2 years ago, we did get him a medical ID braclet but he hardly ever wears it. As you have said in your post she is only ever with adults that know about her condition which is the same as my son. You have nothing to lose by getting one just in case you think she might need to wear one sometimes.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
i would say medical ID is a personally choice for peace of mind...........so if it gives you peace of mind that's fine...........

I have never used one in 15 years without any problems....

Danaemac

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People who think they know what you need before you do
I have a silicone one for the swimming but I also got a very nice italian charm bracelet off eBay that you can customise with conditions /treatment but also flags or personalised or cartoons etc I love mine and is unique to me and a couple of events close to my heart are also on charms fully adjustable with the removal / addition of links and can be added to as a bit of a hobby or reward also comes in various colours

Danae