CAROL

Reactions: 6 people

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I bought a bacon joint today with the aim of boiling it and then using the stock to make a bacon and vegetable soup. It was quite wintry here todsy with thick drizzly fog and cool. :)

Reactions: 2 people

ShellyC23

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Mo

When you say LCHF, how low do you go? e.g. 100g a day or 30g a day?

I am a soup addict, I have soup nearly every day (even in the hot Australian summer), it is my comfort food and a great way of including more veggies in my diet.

My favourite soup is made with red peppers, tomatoes and carrots, stock, dollop of cream, chilli, smoked paprika. I have a vitamix which blends it down to the consistency of tinned soup.

Another one I like is cauliflower, broccoli & watercress ... boil it up in some stock, add some cream and blend til smooth.

If you eat carrots you could make a Thai Carrot Soup with coconut milk.

Hope that gives you some ideas. I also sometimes make a French Onion Soup topped with grated cheese (no croutons though!)
Can you let me have recipe for your "favourite" soup please? I'm a bit of a soup addict myself and anything I can make soup maker is great

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello Shelly. My problem is that my favourite soups were leak and potato or sweet potato and butternut squash but I am avoiding carbs as much as possible at present and think there may be too much in these. Thats one of the reasons I started the thread. Im hoping to nake a ham and vegetable one using the bacon stock, bacon bits from the joint, celery, leeks, onions, green beans and carrots. I think this shouldnt be too bad as regards carbs. :)

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The soup was great. And I made almond flour dumplings and I really enjoyed them. 150g almond flour, 2 eggs, salt and pepper. Whisk eggs and add to flour and seasoning. Make into small balls and put in fridge to rest for an hour. Add to soup and cook with lid on for 12 -15 mins. Found recipe on internet. :)

Reactions: 3 people

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
I have soup for lunch every day at work from about 3 weeks ago, till it gets warmer. I tend to do brocoli and Stilton, butternut squash with curry powder or chicken and leek. Occassionally I make a hungarian mushroom soup that I found the recipe for on here somewhere. I love it, it warms me through and like others I make a big batch and freeze some.