Type 2's: What was your fasting blood glucose in a morning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paulabetts

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
meat selfish people slugs and snails
8.4 trending down slowly good ole salad and humus

Reactions: 4 people

JohnD54

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rice
John - If that's the current rate of your weight loss now, you really do have to address your maintenance regime almost immediately, or you will find it quite tricky, in my view. It took me weeks and weeks to find some sort of balance. If you're like me, you will have got used to eating both differently and a bit less, so upping something felt a bit uncomfortable at first. Some people just find their weightloss stalls all by itself, but if you have lost 5lb in a week, I doubt you're close to that point.

Have you thought about how you're going to tackle it?
I have been thinking about the step up for a few weeks now, possibly should explain my thoughts as to why this week appears to be so dramatic, was on holiday for the last 2/3 weeks of August continued on my usual diet as much as possible but after 1 week at home had put on 1lb, have carried on with usual diet and last week evened out this week less 5lbs. Usually I would lose 2lbs per week on average.

So,I think this week is just an evening out of the last 5/6 weeks, if that makes sense.

As I mentioned in an earlier post possibly on this thread but definitely mentioned, my initial goal was 12st still keeping me above mid range BMI for my weight height & age. Once I reach that will commence increasing calories to 1500 but will still keep carbs to between 40-60 per day which is my current intake.

I don't expect any problems with increasing calories to this level, but we will see.

If my method detailed above needs refining in your opinion I would be delighted to hear more, that's why we are all on this forum to gain knowledge from all possible angles.

Many thanks for your interest as always.

Reactions: 2 people

JohnD54

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rice
5.0 this morning. I have been within 0.2 of this all week, so very consistent. I have just started my last pot of the high reading codefree strips, so if I can just get through these I should see a miraculous improvement in a few weeks!

Maxwell
I am also at the end of my potentially differing strips, we shall see.

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.0 after dinner
Dint do before dinner as I did not have meter
4.8 fasting
Had roasted chicken and some diet coke with about 15 to 20 chips and a garlic bread last night so a little bit on junk side but I think I took it well to have 5, the other day I had chicken salad only and went to 6

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good luck in Oz, Rod.

6.1 here after very late and restless night and too much protein for dinner.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
4.5 for me today, so that's at the top end of my usual range. But, no worries. Whatever "my" range is there will always be tops and bottoms. It's just everyone needs to have their own usual range.

I was up nice and early this morning, pottering around, but have also been doing some slow cooker cooking, which is now bubbling away nicely. It smells nice, so hoping it turns out OK, as I changed my planned meal on a whim this morning. Welcome to Planet Breathe.

And now, it's time to get the lawns done again. I guess there won't be too many more iterations before the dormant season is upon us. For those of us with a lovely day today, please don't waste it. Before we know it, the weather will be cold, dark and dank.

Play nicely playmates. :)

Reactions: 5 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@JohnD54 I am still struggling a bit to stop losing weight despite increasing my calories from 1200 to 1500. I am now on 1600 and still losing the odd pound here and there. It is a fine balance if you don't want to increase the carbs and not as easy as people may think. Do leave yourself some leeway. I am so glad I did.

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It's just everyone needs to have their own usual range.

. :)

You're so right! We are all different. Different body mass and shape. Different levels of resistance. Different levels of liver and pancreas function. For instance your highest is my lowest and I, personally, feel quite ill at that level. In fact before bed I've taken to eating a little yoghurt or fruit ( not much at all) to ensure I'm ok in the night. I remember one of @Scandichic's scares and I live alone. My morning range is 4.7 to 5.2.

I realise I'm lucky compared to some, on this thread, who get frustrated with their level, which often rises for no obvious reason.

I can't give advice for what to do because we are all so different with our tolerances, fitness levels etc. as I said before.

It's often a conundrum.

Reactions: 6 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@peacetrain You are also so right! This is one reason why we should never compare our own readings with others, and why we should never stress when we see an unexplained high reading or unexpected upward trend for a few days. We all have our own unique base level, and if we reach that level fairly consistently, whatever it is, we should be happy. Easier said than done though!

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree @peacetrain train. It is all too easy to get caught up in the numbers game, but all of us are different and none of us know what our personal range was before diabetes- it may well be that some of us always ran at the higher end of normal. I know that I start to feel the effects of low blood sugar around 4.6 and that for my panic disorder, it wouldn't be a great idea to be running in the low 4s and high 3s for any length of time as the symptoms mimic one another and feed into it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 people

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
And so I think I won't use this thread, for the time being, because I don't think it's serving any useful purpose for anyone. However, If I begin to have a problem I know where to come! :)

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@JohnD54 I am still struggling a bit to stop losing weight despite increasing my calories from 1200 to 1500. I am now on 1600 and still losing the odd pound here and there. It is a fine balance if you don't want to increase the carbs and not as easy as people may think. Do leave yourself some leeway. I am so glad I did.
How tall are you? How much exercise are you doing? At first glance 1600 seems low for maintaining. I have 18lbs to lose before reaching the top end of my BMI. I know I'm going to struggle not to lose after that, unless I up my calories. If I up my calories I have to do so by eating more fat, which I don't really want to do, or eat more carbs ... Don't want to do that either!!! Another conundrum!!! Is there another thread for maintaining weight? That would be a good one to have if there isn't.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
How tall are you? How much exercise are you doing? At first glance 1600 seems low for maintaining. I have 18lbs to lose before reaching the top end of my BMI. I know I'm going to struggle not to lose after that, unless I up my calories. If I up my calories I have to do so by eating more fat, which I don't really want to do, or eat more carbs ... Don't want to do that either!!! Another conundrum!!! Is there another thread for maintaining weight? That would be a good one to have if there isn't.

I'm 5ft 4" and currently weigh 9st. 4lbs. BMI 22.3. However, I have a big frame - wide back and wide wrists. The only exercise I do in addition to normal daily activities are 2 walks of about 20 to 25 minutes each. I only increased to 1600 a couple of days ago and am finding that hard enough because, like you, I don't want to increase my carbs or fat, and already eat enough protein. It really is a conundrum. I know it won't hurt if I lose a little more, but am really hoping my body will find its own level very soon. It was suggested to me a while ago that I have a starter with my main meal as I never have eaten desserts very often. I have done this a few times, but find I'm not really hungry enough! I may try adding back some fruit to see what that does to my BS. Up to now I have stuck to berries, and I don't like nuts! I did go over 1700 yesterday, but 200 of that was wine! Lol.

Good idea about a thread.

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm 5ft 4" and currently weigh 9st. 4lbs. BMI 22.3. However, I have a big frame - wide back and wide wrists. The only exercise I do in addition to normal daily activities are 2 walks of about 20 to 25 minutes each. I only increased to 1600 a couple of days ago and am finding that hard enough because, like you, I don't want to increase my carbs or fat, and already eat enough protein. It really is a conundrum. I know it won't hurt if I lose a little more, but am really hoping my body will find its own level very soon. It was suggested to me a while ago that I have a starter with my main meal as I never have eaten desserts very often. I have done this a few times, but find I'm not really hungry enough! I may try adding back some fruit to see what that does to my BS. Up to now I have stuck to berries, and I don't like nuts! I did go over 1700 yesterday, but 200 of that was wine! Lol.

Good idea about a thread.
Did you go to Boots and weigh yourself yesterday? I did and someone had left their printout which was identical to your figures!! :)

I'm 5 feet 7.5 inches, 12st 9lbs and my BMI is 27.6. What I don't understand is I can now fit into size 12 jeans!! Just been to try some this morning because my present size 14 are beginning to slip. I really don't believe I'm size 12. I don't think I can go much lower than 11st 5lb because I already feel I'm not looking good in the face. I still have a 36 inch waist but I haven't exercised as much recently. I need to get back to normal with that.

Do you like olives? I eat loads!! About 100g per day.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Did you go to Boots and weigh yourself yesterday? I did and someone had left their printout which was identical to your figures!! :)

I'm 5 feet 7.5 inches, 12st 9lbs and my BMI is 27.6. What I don't understand is I can now fit into size 12 jeans!! Just been to try some this morning because my present size 14 are beginning to slip. I really don't believe I'm size 12. I don't think I can go much lower than 11st 5lb because I already feel I'm not looking good in the face. I still have a 36 inch waist but I haven't exercised as much recently. I need to get back to normal with that.

Do you like olives? I eat loads!! About 100g per day.

LOL. No, it wasn't me, honest Guv! I weigh myself at home. You are lovely and tall, so can carry weight better than a dumpling like me. I have never understood clothes sizes, so much depends on where your weight is. I had to get size 12's and couldn't believe it, but now they are slipping down and I am having to wear a belt. I am never in this world a size 10. My daughter is a 10 and she is a stone lighter and an inch taller than I am. It is my face that is worrying me, too. Any more loss and I will be more like my mother was at 90, and that would crucify me. Lol. No, I don't like olives.

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am already sitting doing the vowel exercises to tone my chin area. I always had a padded face even when I was under 9st so hoping that saves me from the droopy jowls look. Clothes have got bigger- I was a 12 when I was just over 9st at 5 ft 3 and a half and had a 24 in waist! They call it vanity sizing and some shops are worse than others. Cheap places like Asda always seem to come up smaller and shorter I find even though I am below average height.

Silver Hammer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Balancing body weight and calories/carbs when you have reached target can be quite challenging. My wife complains that I shouldn't go any lower than 12 stone and I am currently hovering just under that level most weeks, so I am catching it at the moment! I am 6 foot, so at 12 stone I am about 22.5 BMI, which I agree is about right. When I was dieting down I tried for 1500 calories and 80g of carbs on average, but while I hit the 80g my average calories actually worked out at 1700 per day. Now to maintain weight I try to hit around 2400 calories and 100g carbs, provided I don't do too much, but when off for a week recently and doing a fair bit of gardening I upped this to 3000 calories per day. I do need to get back to exercising more regularly as with the darker nights I have cut down on the evening cycling, but have not got back into my gym at all as yet, so I need to restart that now.
Out for the day today at the NEC so we had lunch at Wetgerspoons there. Seemingly every option had serious carbs with it,, so I ended up picking ham egg and chips; I am lucky enough to be able to tolerate these (with regard to BG levels not taste!) and was back down to 5.2 when back home. Now I have blown the carb count for the day with chorizo and mixed beans in spicy tomato sauce accompanied by green beans followed by strawberries and the obligatory 1 square of 85% dark chocolate. So 59g carbs for supper on top of the 53g for the chips takes me up to 131g for the day. I have just tested 1 hr after and up at 6.6, so just need to wait for the start of Downton Abbey to check that this has come down again. But I still need another 250 calories to hit 2400 for the day - will it be walnuts or some extra mature cheddar........

Maxwell

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
LOL. No, it wasn't me, honest Guv! I weigh myself at home. You are lovely and tall, so can carry weight better than a dumpling like me. I have never understood clothes sizes, so much depends on where your weight is. I had to get size 12's and couldn't believe it, but now they are slipping down and I am having to wear a belt. I am never in this world a size 10. My daughter is a 10 and she is a stone lighter and an inch taller than I am. It is my face that is worrying me, too. Any more loss and I will be more like my mother was at 90, and that would crucify me. Lol. No, I don't like olives.
I used to weigh anything between 9.5 and 11 stone. At 11st I would be size 12 top and size 14 jeans. I'm sure sizes have changed. At the moment I have size 14 tesco jeans and 14s from M&co. Now both hanging off me. I tried some fat face several weeks ago, size 14 and they were too small, which is what I would have thought at just over 13st but I was ok with the M&co/tesco brand. I bought them in the sale because I'm loathe to spend a lot at the moment. The fat face were in a charity shop. I've bought quote a lot of stuff from the charity shops recently. The charity shops where I live are well stocked.

Status
Not open for further replies.