Making sense of blood results!

vicky72

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Vicky I set my calories at 1200 and my carbs at 15% which is 45g. Does this help?:)
Thanks for that Mo..... I have mine set at 25% Carbs and 1600 on calories, I have just finished my first week and lost 7lb. I did cut out soft drinks weeks before that too before being told I was pre diabetic.

Zombiedude

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ok, so ... after around 10 minutes of being unable to pull the trigger on my lancet (I finally got my wife to do it for me!) I did my first test.
I took the reading after I got up but before eating/drinking anything.
It was 4.6 mmol/L.
Once again, I have no idea what that means!
I think it's good, right?

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ok, so ... after around 10 minutes of being unable to pull the trigger on my lancet (I finally got my wife to do it for me!) I did my first test.
I took the reading after I got up but before eating/drinking anything.
It was 4.6 mmol/L.
Once again, I have no idea what that means!
I think it's good, right?
you have to be frigging joking :) that's perfect, under 5.5 is normal
http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14045524.php

it sounds like you don't have much insulin resistance, dawn phenonimon, which gives a high reading before breakfast

Reactions: 3 people

Zombiedude

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
you have to be frigging joking :) that's perfect, under 5.5 is normal
http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14045524.php

it sounds like you don't have much insulin resistance, dawn phenonimon, which gives a high reading before breakfast
So I did something right?!?!
Because I know it was really high in my test results, so this means the pills are working fine? I also assume my diet change has helped.

Again, sorry for all the questions but when I search for answers I see so many points of view that I sometimes end up more confused!

Reactions: 2 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So I did something right?!?!
Because I know it was really high in my test results, so this means the pills are working fine? I also assume my diet change has helped.

Again, sorry for all the questions but when I search for answers I see so many points of view that I sometimes end up more confused!
it's a lot to take in at once, in a month you'll be telling other people how to do it and what's good and not so good :)
what are you having for breakfast and post your 2hr

Zombiedude

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
it's a lot to take in at once, in a month you'll be telling other people how to do it and what's good and not so good :)
what are you having for breakfast and post your 2hr
I was going to have a two egg omlette (with a little water not milk), and a little grated cheese.
I'll post results after.

And, I know I keep saying it, but thanks again so much for the support and advice. You are all so flippin' awesome!!

EDIT - Forget that! It's 2 eggs and 2 rashers of bacon this morning!

Zombiedude

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ok. Just did pre-breakfast reading. Was 6.0 :(
I only had a coffee between readings but suspect the skimmed milk's sugar content may have contributed to the rise.
I am buying some unsweetened almond milk today and will see if that helps.
If not then I may start cutting milk out altogether.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
it could have been a liver dump as well and 6 isn't that bad, have cream in your coffee, it's low carb and you need the fat

Zombiedude

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
it could have been a liver dump as well and 6 isn't that bad, have cream in your coffee, it's low carb and you need the fat
And I'm right in thinking that's ok with the LCHF diet, right? Because, you know, high fat! I mean, I know it seems obvious but I am double everything right now with people (like yourself) who know much more than I.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Caffeine can also raise BS levels in some people, not just the milk. However, as I really, really need my tea in the mornings I put up with this!
Well done on your fantastic first thing reading!

Zombiedude

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Caffeine can also raise BS levels in some people, not just the milk. However, as I really, really need my tea in the mornings I put up with this!
Well done on your fantastic first thing reading!

I'll monitor it and maybe switch to caffeine free and see how that goes. Thing is, I really love my coffee. But, if it is the coffee, then it's gone. Whatever it takes!
And thanks, I am hopeful I'll get the hang of this soon and stop pestering you all so much!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I doubt anyone here feels pestered! Carry on asking questions. We all learn from the answers.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Dibbles I must admit I hadnt thought of the averages until then and what you say makes a great deal of sense. Mind you I havent woeked out how to get an average out og the monitor yet:joyful:

Hi Mo. Do you have a spread sheet on your device? I use Excel on my PC and record all my readings on there in columns. One column for each event. Then you can average them individually, so you can see at a glance what your fasting average is, likewise your 1 hour, 2 hour, and so on for each event you test. Using the meter is much less accurate and gives you a lot less information.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
And I'm right in thinking that's ok with the LCHF diet, right? Because, you know, high fat! I mean, I know it seems obvious but I am double everything right now with people (like yourself) who know much more than I.
low carb high fat, you need to replace the lost energy from the carbs, use dairy, olive oil, butter coconut oil and other healthy fats to do this like avocardo
you will know if you aren't getting enough fats, you will feel cold and lack energy
I wouldn't cut coffee, you need a diet you can stick with, or you throw it all away and go back to old habits

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'll monitor it and maybe switch to caffeine free and see how that goes. Thing is, I really love my coffee. But, if it is the coffee, then it's gone. Whatever it takes!
And thanks, I am hopeful I'll get the hang of this soon and stop pestering you all so much!

Zombie - Don't start going all radical straight away or you'll find yourself with very little to enjoy. Obviously, avoid the big boys; the frank sugar and heavy carbs, and get yourself into a testing and food recording routine for a week or so. Then, you will have a little data to go on. If, like me, you only have a couple of things you routinely have for breakfast, say, you can look back over your diary and bloods and see if there are any real stand out no-nos. Then deal with those, and take it from there.

But, don't forget, that you will see a rise when you eat - unless your meal is really very fat based, with no carbs whatsoever,but, for most of us, going that far isn't altogether necessary.

I don't know if you have any poundage to drop, but if you have, as that happens, not only should your bloods improve, but it is likely your tolerance to carbs may increase too. So, it could be that something you have to limit quite a bit now, could actually be reviewed in due course.

In my view, it's better to take an incremental approach and understand why you are limiting or eliminating certain foods; rather than apply a broad brush stroke approach only to unknowingly have eliminated a perfectly benign food or drink. That's the problem with this condition being so personal.

Keep up your good work. If enthusiasm alone could crack this thing, you'd have done it already.

Reactions: 3 people

Zombiedude

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
low carb high fat, you need to replace the lost energy from the carbs, use dairy, olive oil, butter coconut oil and other healthy fats to do this like avocardo
you will know if you aren't getting enough fats, you will feel cold and lack energy
I wouldn't cut coffee, you need a diet you can stick with, or you throw it all away and go back to old habits

We did get some coconut oil yesterday from Costco, might add some to something if I need it. I feel pretty good at the moment, but I will keep a close eye on things.
And I think I agree about the coffee, I need something I can still enjoy!

Zombie - Don't start going all radical straight away or you'll find yourself with very little to enjoy. Obviously, avoid the big boys; the frank sugar and heavy carbs, and get yourself into a testing and food recording routine for a week or so. Then, you will have a little data to go on. If, like me, you only have a couple of things you routinely have for breakfast, say, you can look back over your diary and bloods and see if there are any real stand out no-nos. Then deal with those, and take it from there.

But, don't forget, that you will see a rise when you eat - unless your meal is really very fat based, with no carbs whatsoever,but, for most of us, going that far isn't altogether necessary.

I don't know if you have any poundage to drop, but if you have, as that happens, not only should your bloods improve, but it is likely your tolerance to carbs may increase too. So, it could be that something you have to limit quite a bit now, could actually be reviewed in due course.

In my view, it's better to take an incremental approach and understand why you are limiting or eliminating certain foods; rather than apply a broad brush stroke approach only to unknowingly have eliminated a perfectly benign food or drink. That's the problem with this condition being so personal.

Keep up your good work. If enthusiasm alone could crack this thing, you'd have done it already.

That is excellent advice and I shall follow it.
Much better to be eliminating what needs to be gone, not just making assumptions.
Thank you.

I doubt anyone here feels pestered! Carry on asking questions. We all learn from the answers.

You may live to regret saying that! ;)