What do you do with high blood sugar?

soppyone

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
i was diagnosed with diabetes two weeks ago. Given tablets and told to see a diabetes nurse and look online for info. Appointment is still 2 weeks away, ie a month after diagnosis. Problem is, I have no way of knowing what my sugar level is, even if i bought a test thingie, i don't know how to use it. Fasting sugar was 19.5, went to the hospital last week with blurred vision and the level after taking meds is 19.6! I get sweaty and ill feeling when meds due or just eaten and assume high blood sugar is cause, but I have genuinely cut out all sugar products. am not overweight. So, the question is, assuming the sweats are high blood sugar, what should do in the short term? (before appointment with nurse?) I can exercise at lunchtime, but have a sit down job, so not possible other times. I get the message 'high sugar is bad' but still missing 'do this to reduce it' please help. online stuff is confusing and contradictory eg, eat a banana for breakfast, it is slow release, but don't eat a banana as it is high sugar aagh! i need help

Reactions: 3 people

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
welcome soppyone
i waited 5 weeks to see a diabetic nurse and my readings have been as high as 30
i do think you should buy a meter, they are easy to use but the local pharmasist will show you how to use one

Reactions: 5 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome.

It is very confusing at first, but it will all come together eventually. You have found the right place for support and friendly advice on this forum, so do have a read round the threads and ask as many questions as you like.

I can answer your first bit of confusion. Bananas! They are all sugar and are QUICK release. They turn to sugar almost as soon as they are in your mouth, which is why athletes, especially tennis players, can be seen munching them to give them a quick spurt of energy.

Yes, you must cut out sugar. That is obvious. However, a lesson we all learn is that all carbohydrates turn to sugar once in the system, some quicker than others. Cereals, potatoes, bread, rice, pasta are the main culprits and need to be reduced. You also need to be careful with milk and fruits.

You must get a meter. This is the only way to learn which foods your body can cope with (we are all different in this respect). They are easy to use, and have full instructions with them. People on here will help you with what the readings mean.

Good luck, and keep posting!

Reactions: 2 people

soppyone

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello and welcome.

It is very confusing at first, but it will all come together eventually. You have found the right place for support and friendly advice on this forum, so do have a read round the threads and ask as many questions as you like.

I can answer your first bit of confusion. Bananas! They are all sugar and are QUICK release. They turn to sugar almost as soon as they are in your mouth, which is why athletes, especially tennis players, can be seen munching them to give them a quick spurt of energy.

Yes, you must cut out sugar. That is obvious. However, a lesson we all learn is that all carbohydrates turn to sugar once in the system, some quicker than others. Cereals, potatoes, bread, rice, pasta are the main culprits and need to be reduced. You also need to be careful with milk and fruits.

You must get a meter. This is the only way to learn which foods your body can cope with (we are all different in this respect). They are easy to use, and have full instructions with them. People on here will help you with what the readings mean.

Thank you. No bananas then.That will probably make an impact.
Hello and welcome.

Ah, another one to add to the list. Gluten, fibre, and now
bananas and carbs. I am resigned to living a life on brocolli from now on! LOL, good to have support. Thank you for responding.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you. No bananas then.That will probably make an impact.

Ah, another one to add to the list. Gluten, fibre, and now
bananas and carbs. I am resigned to living a life on brocolli from now on! LOL, good to have support. Thank you for responding.

Do you have other health problems meaning you can't eat gluten or fibre?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi soppy one, and welcome.

You have had some great advice so far, and I agree with all of it.

We all go through a weird, mourning, shocked phase, when all we can think about is what we can't eat any more. You are going through it now, and I empathise, because it is horrible.

But what you will soon come to realise, is that there are vast numbers of really delicious things that you can eat - some of which you probably thought have been off the menu for years...

Full fat yogurt, cream, butter and cheese are all great for diabetics, because they digest slowly and release their energy much more steadily than those 'complex' carbs the NHS keep pushing.

Meat, fish, eggs, etc. are all great. And you don't have to worry about trimming all the fat and chicken skin any more.

You can have mayo on your salads (watch the sugar content)

The internet is peppered with delicious low carb recipes for cakes, puds and biscuits. Cheesecake, and there's even a key lime pie recipe somewhere.

The bad news is that diabetic eating usually takes a little more planning and prep.
The good news is that the food can be interesting, delicious and may well be more nutritious. :)

Reactions: 4 people

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
soppyone, i was worried that i would be living on lettuce but after testing 2 hours afterv a meal, if it was/is high then i knew/know what to ilimiate
please ask as many questions as you like and you will get replies

Reactions: 6 people

soppyone

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
[QUOTE="Bluetit1802, p
hi Bluetit. Yes, other problems. Gluten intolerant for years. Crohns so had colon and gut removed in january. Then gallstones and liver issues. Result is I can eat nothing with fibre eg wholemeal anything, any beans, sweetcorn, coconut, nuts, mushrooms, most salad especially lettuce as my insides cannot digest in time. For the gallstones, low colesterol, so no full fat yoghurt or butter etc. No fizzy drinks, which I miss, And now sugar and carbs.
Hi Ally
yes, I know what you mean. I was thinking OMG! I will have to spend the rest of my life eating only brocolli.
hi Brunneria
meat fish and eggs. Right, Scrambled eggs for breakfast. That is one meal sorted. I need to see this diabetes nurse! Really grateful to everyone for answering Low fat yoghurt anyone?

angelicbaby

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Soppyone.

You seem to have a myriad of dietary based heath problems and I am absolutely floored that your Surgery has not deemed you a priority. You may need to do some internet research however some people here have found that by reducing their carb/sugar intake it has actually lowered their cholesterol as well - although I couldn't confirm if this also relates to people with gallstones.

Honestly I think your Surgery's blase approach to you is a case for negligence and I would advise you to report this to the GMC (General Medical Council).

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have no idea how to advise you. I think you need to see a nutritionist ASAP and suggest you ask for a referral.

Maybe if you list the sort of meals and foods you are currently eating we may be able to spot something to help.

Reactions: 2 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh soppyone,

I'm sorry - half my post doesn't apply to you!

You said you can't eat lettuce - is that all leafy geens, or just lettuce? (I've made some fab salads with baby spinach, kale or rocket)

Crohns is a b*gg*r, isn't it? Such a restriction. The young lady I knew who had Crohns was trapped near the loo for 2 days after 1 teasp of sweet chilli sauce was added to a dish shared with 3 other people. The sauce had garlic in. So 1 x1/4 teasp affected her that badly.

Does the low fibre thing mean you can't eat berries?

Is it ALL fibre, or just insoluble fibre?

Have a read up on the latest research on cholesterol. The new studies are finding that dietary fat has little or no impact on blood cholesterol levels. You can find a link to bloodsugar101.com in my signature, which discussed several of these new studies. Being able to relax the low fat restriction might make quite a difference to you... But without a gallbladder, it will be trial and error. Has anyone mentioned bile salts to you, to replace the bile? Mind you, it depends how much digestive tract you have left.

As @bluetit says, what CAN you eat?