Diabetes Classification - Changing the goal posts

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Thanks

Sorry, I can't find the link to the testing strips you recommended

Do you find it necessary to regularly test after meals?
Doh!
http://www.homehealth-uk.com/medical/blood_glucose_monitor_testing.htm
Here is the discount code if you buy 5 pots which costs £25 - over the chemist counter strips are £25 per pot!
image.jpg

Yes I test after eating my evening meal and if I feel unwell!

JamieKershaw

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
to be honest, I'd rather be diagnosed diabetic, with lower BS, than not being diagnosed, but with higher BS.
So, this time, it appears the NHS have done the right thing, by bringing the criteria down.

You have a valid point regarding BS levels. And I can see why this has been done. I probably don't like to admit that I've got this condition.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
You have a valid point regarding BS levels. And I can see why this has been done. I probably don't like to admit that I've got this condition.

I have to agree with Douglas, perhaps you should look at this from the other point of view that it is better to be diagnosed earlier hopefully before any nasty diabetic complications have set in.

You have a chance that many other members here never had to look at your lifestyle and make some small changes now that can hopefully bring your bg levels back towards non diabetic numbers. Grab it :)

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Admitting it is the first hurdle. Once that is cleared, the next one is to do something about it.

Being a diagnosed diabetic has its advantages over someone heading that way but not yet there. We get put on the care pathway, which means we get regular blood tests and reviews, blood checks for cholesterol, liver and kidney functions, urine tests, annual retina eye screening, and regular foot checks. A much better place to be than a pre-diabetic in my opinion.

Reactions: 4 people

JamieKershaw

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Admitting it is the first hurdle. Once that is cleared, the next one is to do something about it.

Being a diagnosed diabetic has its advantages over someone heading that way but not yet there. We get put on the care pathway, which means we get regular blood tests and reviews, blood checks for cholesterol, liver and kidney functions, urine tests, annual retina eye screening, and regular foot checks. A much better place to be than a pre-diabetic in my opinion.

Agreed. Thanks for the support.

JamieKershaw

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have to agree with Douglas, perhaps you should look at this from the other point of view that it is better to be diagnosed earlier hopefully before any nasty diabetic complications have set in.

You have a chance that many other members here never had to look at your lifestyle and make some small changes now that can hopefully bring your bg levels back towards non diabetic numbers. Grab it :)

I agree. Thanks for the reality check.

this is too difficult two

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Some of us do.

steppy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
a great read @Scandichic, will start a LC diet from today! :)

Does anyone know of a proven weekly low carb diet that one can follow for breakfast, lunch and dinner?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There is an on going thread on the forums called What have you eaten today. Have a look at that for some ideas.
We all have different tastes and different styles of eating. You need to find a diet that suits you, fits in with your needs and likes/dislikes. No use saying eat as much meat as you like if you are a veggie ;)

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello. Can anyone help please? Ive just been looking at the sd codefree monitor at the homehealth uk website but there are two different ways of getting the measurements. Which one is used in the uk? When I was diagnosed the nurse said 15.9 and 59 for the 3 month one. Which measuing system would that be with? Sorry Im clueless. lol

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It's the mmol/l measurement in the UK. This is for home meters and ordinary blood glucose tests done at the surgery.

The 59 quoted by your nurse is the HbA1c test, which is different.

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks Bluetit I thought I better check before I ordered the wrong one. ;)

steppy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I remember getting a monitor pack free from my local pharmacy, just have to purchase the strips!

Randburg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grey Cats
The idea of testing for type 2's is to discover which foods might be causing high levels. If you test before you eat, then again 2 hours after your first bite, you can look at the rise in levels and decide if it is acceptable or not. Keep a food diary and record your levels next to each meal. If you are spiking too high, one or more of the foods in that meal is not doing you any favours, so you need to try the test again but with smaller portions of those foods. You may well find you need to cut those foods out altogether, or stick to much smaller portions.
Hi,
Just for my info, do you, or any other members manage to keep your levels under the 7.8 mark recommended ?
I find I sometimes go into the 8/9 mark, on virtually no carbs, but my HBa1C is about 5.6
Interested to hear what levels people get to at 1 and 2 hour mark ?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,
Just for my info, do you, or any other members manage to keep your levels under the 7.8 mark recommended ?
I find I sometimes go into the 8/9 mark, on virtually no carbs, but my HBa1C is about 5.6
Interested to hear what levels people get to at 1 and 2 hour mark ?

No meds, diet and weight loss only

Two hours after my main meal (evenings) my monthly averages have dropped as follows:
April 8.4
May 7.6
June 7.6
July 7.0
Aug 7.0
Sept 6.6

One hour after
April 9.0
May 7.8
June 7.6
July 7.6
Aug 7.6
Sept 7.2

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
All I can say is WOW :wideyed:

I think the weight loss has more to do with it than anything as my insulin resistance has improved steadily. I'm not a very low carber. I am averaging 60 to 65 carbs a day and still have a slice of bread and a couple of spuds each day, but seem to do well enough providing I watch the portions. What has happened is that all my "before" readings came down, so consequently all my post meal readings did. I doubt they will drop any more because I have no more weight to lose and I think my "befores" are now at my own personal base level and won't get any lower.