My journey into BG Monitoring.

Zombiedude

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So I figured I would move my discussion about this here.
I don't want to get into trouble for using the wrong forum!!

So, started this morning and my morning result after sleeping was 4.6.
Before breakfast was 6.0.
2 hours later it was 5.2.
Before lunch it was 6.2.

Am I right in thinking it rose because I was hungry?
I mean, I hadn't eaten or drank anything since my reading 2 hours after breakfast.

Like I said before, still learning about this and really appreciate the advice.

Reactions: 2 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
now it gets tricky...
if you had a high fat breakfast, it can delay the peak past the 2hr,
also you are diabetic, this means you have an impaired insulin response, so that can mess things up too
it may be your liver dumping
dirty finger
natural error rate of meter and strips, +/- 20%

so there are 5 reasons why you could be higher after the 2hr reading
someone will give some more too,

Reactions: 4 people

Zombiedude

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I
now it gets tricky...
if you had a high fat breakfast, it can delay the peak past the 2hr,
also you are diabetic, this means you have an impaired insulin response, so that can mess things up too
it may be your liver dumping
dirty finger
natural error rate of meter and strips, +/- 20%

so there are 5 reasons why you could be higher after the 2hr reading
someone will give some more too,

Wow. SO much to learn!!
I guess I'll see what happens tomorrow.
I did read that stress can increase your reading, is this true?
Because I was out shopping for two hours and, although I tried to keep my calm, people are particularly annoying around here on a Sunday when shopping and I was a little stressed/anxious to just get home again!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I wonder if your 2 hours after breakfast reading was a bit of a rogue reading? It is unusual to drop, depending what you ate of course. I have had the odd drop at 2 hours, but very few. If you ever think you have a rogue reading, test again to confirm it.

Between your breakfast 2hr reading and lunch, what were you doing? Loads of things can happen. A shower or hot bath for example can raise levels, or another liver dump, or exercise before your meal. Today my pre-lunch level was higher than normal because I left my morning walk very late.
What did you have for breakfast?

Oh just read your post! You were out shopping and feeling stressed. You have answered that one!

Zombiedude

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I wonder if your 2 hours after breakfast reading was a bit of a rogue reading? It is unusual to drop, depending what you ate of course. I have had the odd drop at 2 hours, but very few. If you ever think you have a rogue reading, test again to confirm it.

Between your breakfast 2hr reading and lunch, what were you doing? Loads of things can happen. A shower or hot bath for example can raise levels, or another liver dump, or exercise before your meal. Today my pre-lunch level was higher than normal because I left my morning walk very late.
What did you have for breakfast?

Oh just read your post! You were out shopping and feeling stressed. You have answered that one!

Would the drop not be anything to do with my Metaformin? I have to take it with breakfast and dinner.

And yeah, shopping stresses me! People are so rude and miserable!!

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Somehow I doubt it has to do with the metformin, but it's possible. Maybe take a reading one hour after you eat to see if it goes above your pre-meal level. Regardless, all those readings are really excellent Also, since your just starting to use your meter, maybe try 3 readings in a row to check the variability (use a new spot on your finger each time) :D.

Reactions: 3 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Would the drop not be anything to do with my Metaformin? I have to take it with breakfast and dinner.

Short answer - No. It does very little to reduce BS levels. It helps in other ways, and probably hasn't even kicked in yet. It is an appetite suppressant in the main, and also helps a little bit by stopping the liver producing as much glucose and over time may help with the insulin resistance. How much are you on? The higher the dose the more effective it is I believe.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

And yeah, shopping stresses me! People are so rude and miserable!!
metformin wouldn't be the reason. metformin has a build up effect over 3 weeks and max effect over 3mths
i think one dose has no effect either way

Last edited by a moderator:

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
fixed, I didn't want to steal anything from what you said and is why I cited you, instead I misquoted :)

Zombiedude

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Somehow I doubt it has to do with the metformin, but it's possible. Maybe take a reading one hour after you eat to see if it goes above your pre-meal level. Regardless, all those readings are really excellent Also, since your just starting to use your meter, maybe try 3 readings in a row to check the variability (use a new spot on your finger each time) :D.

I'll give that a try tomorrow then. My fingers are bloomin' sore today!! LOL

Short answer - No. It does very little to reduce BS levels. It helps in other ways, and probably hasn't even kicked in yet. It is an appetite suppressant in the main, and also helps a little bit by stopping the liver producing as much glucose and over time may help with the insulin resistance. How much are you on? The higher the dose the more effective it is I believe.

Ok, good to know!
I am on 500mg.

metformin wouldn't be the reason. metformin has a build up effect over 3 weeks and max effect over 3mths
i think one dose has no effect either way

Ok, cool. I had little idea how it worked and planned on quizzing my nurse when I have my appointment ... of course, I still will. I will be going in armed with questions and information courtesy of all of you. :D

When I did my reading two hours after lunch it was 6.1

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'll give that a try tomorrow then. My fingers are bloomin' sore today!! LOL

Ok, cool. I had little idea how it worked and planned on quizzing my nurse when I have my appointment ... of course, I still will. I will be going in armed with questions and information courtesy of all of you. :D

When I did my reading two hours after lunch it was 6.1
looking at your numbers and given you have just started, I question your original diagnosis of diabetes of fasting 13.4 and A1c of 12.9%
your numbers are fine, 4.6 when you wake up, a bit of liver dumps to 6, then around 6 with LC meal @ 2hr

you could try a home oral GTT and drink 75g of sugar to see what your insulin response is at 1 2 3 4 5 6 hr, but at this stage you are normal
https://www.google.com.au/search?output=search&sclient=psy-ab&q=ogtt&btnK=

Reactions: 5 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It does seem a bit odd to me, too. Some folk get their numbers down to normal in a few months, but a couple of days?

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
I can understand the post meal numbers going down on a very low carb diet, but that's quite a change in the morning fasting number. :pompous:

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It does seem a bit odd to me, too. Some folk get their numbers down to normal in a few months, but a couple of days?
this is why I suggested the GTT, only late onset early T1 would make any sense and would see a massive fail with that test

or they got the bloods wrong by the machine cleaning or sample name

Reactions: 6 people

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Your BG levels are up and down all the time and are hard enough to predict in a healthy person. When someone has type 2 diabetes and is taking medication and is eating certain foods, it takes some time to learn. Your readings are not bad at all and, if you are not taking meds, they are very good.

I don't take meds and have good control though diet and exercise. I woke to a 5.3 and had porridge for breakfast. I had some fish and a slice of pumpernickel for lunch and then went off for a cycle ride. I know from experience, the food will not put my BG up by much and the cycle ride will drop my BG like a stone. Two hours after lunch one finger showed a 6.4, a shock for me but the finger next to it was 4.1.

What was happening was as follows: the fairly low carb input and the glucose expenditure of the 90 min ride depleted by blood glucose and the normal homeostatic process which adds glucose to stop you going hypo, had just started. It takes about an hour for anything added to blood to thoroughly mix throughout the system and mine was still circulating like some sweet pool. After an hour, one finger was 5.1 and the other also 5.1.

When you get odd readings, test other fingers and test again after say 30 mins or so. Try and work out how things are affecting you but don't rely on just one reading.

Zombiedude

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Would my initial high readings have been anything to do with the fact I had my blood taken on a Tuesday, but ate carb heavy three nights running prior to test and also had 18 cans of Holsten Pils (6 cans per night) three nights prior to the night before the test?

I am thinking, if that wouldn't be a factor, to go back and ask for another test.
Or should I just wait the three months and see what the next results show?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've just fished out my blood paperwork again ...
This one here ... http://i.imgur.com/u3tAh8t.jpg ... where my numbers are massively high wasn't a fasting test. Should it have been?

This is your HbA1c, which reflects the previous 2 to 3 months (weighted towards the past few weeks, but not 3 days I wouldn't think). It is not a fasting test - no need as it is an average of a past period.

Zombiedude

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This is your HbA1c, which reflects the previous 2 to 3 months (weighted towards the past few weeks, but not 3 days I wouldn't think).

Ok, no problem. Just wondered. :)

I'll probably do the three months and just have another blood test then to see what is going on.