Hi everyone

nirvana1994

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hi everyone, I am T2, just started to manage my bloods due to a fantastic diabetes nurse and the fact I have lost 3 stone and am still losing (was nearly 18 stone). Have been T2 for about 10 years now.

I care for my autistic daughter and have been married for 28 years this year, so have my hands full with hubby and daughter, we also have a cat and a dog, don't do things by half in this family!

I inject with lixisinatide and take pioglitizone tablets (think that's the right spelling) and am ok at the mo. Does anyone else take this combination? Have you lost weight on it?? I have been prediabetic for years before finally being confirmed and I have to admit do get fed up with the overweight is the only reason for T2 banter!

Would be great to hear from you all x

Reactions: 2 people

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello Nirvana. Welcome to the website. Wow youve done really well with the weightloss fantastic! :)

Casey60

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all this is my first post and second day of dieting since finding out about having diabetes.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Hi @nirvana1994. Welcome. I've never heard of those drugs. 10 years is a long time. Can we hear more of your story? What kind of help and advice did you get when you were first diagnosed? How is your blood glucose control now?

Welcome @Casey60. Are you type 2? How were you diagnosed? What kind of advice have you been given from health care professionals?
:D

nirvana1994

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hi @nirvana1994. Welcome. I've never heard of those drugs. 10 years is a long time. Can we hear more of your story? What kind of help and advice did you get when you were first diagnosed? How is your blood glucose control now?

Welcome @Casey60. Are you type 2? How were you diagnosed? What kind of advice have you been given from health care professionals?
:D

Mmmm I was diagnosed when I went to the GP complainng of stonking headaches, weeing a lot and drinking a lot. The GP tested me for diabetes as a last resort! My diabetic nurse was brilliant, really understanding about the confusion regarding diagnosis and I was referred to a dietician who was ****, not very helpful and couldn't answer my questions at all, had to google the info I was after!

I had been prediabetic for years and tested off and on for years too. When I was diagnosed with polycyctic ovaries syndrome, everything fell into place - prediabetes is a sign of POS (apparently I was told) and after my hysterectomy, full blown diabetes appeared 2 years later. Hence why I get really miffed when people play the overweight card when you tell them you are T2.

My recent HBa1c had my count as 7 instead of 9 (yea, old money can't remember the new figures sorry) and my glucose levels are reasonable really - sorry can't remember last reading as I was told I didn't have to do them very often but will step up the readings now I am losing weight. I didn't get on with metform at all although new GP insisted I stayed on it so, when new GPO came in and I went in with all the side effects for metformin I was referred to another diabetic nurse who sorted out my meds and all is well now. The lixentide is a jab while the pioglitizone is a tablet and between them all is stable, they must be relatively new if no-one seems to heard of them!! Still onward and upward!

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Hi Nirvana, welcome.

I would want to get my HbA1c below 7% personally, with or without medication. Did you go straight on to your medication when diagnosed - despite being prediabetic for a long time? What do you eat typically?

Last edited by a moderator:

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. Have you also adjusted your diet as well as taking the meds e.g. reducing your carb intake overall? Reducing the carbs may help reduce the meds you are taking. Apologies if you are already on a good diet. Did the DN talk about diet? Pioglitazone is one of the glitazone family of drugs and has been around for many years. It works well for many but for a few it does have undesirable side effects so as with many meds if you can avoid/reduce it thru lower carbs all the better. The injectable you have can also work well by slowing food digestion but can, for some, have side effects.