Flu Jabs

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Okay, I'm new and I don't know any better. Please, why do we as Type 1s particularly need protection from flu?

Lucy

IncyWincy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have had flu 4 or 5 times (lost count) but not since having the jab (once medics discovered I have a dodgy mitral heart valve). I'm very grateful as I've previously had chest infections and pleurisy after flu. The other year I nursed my grown up brat when they contracted flu and didn't catch it - but maybe it was 1 of the strains I'd previously had? ;)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Okay, I'm new and I don't know any better. Please, why do we as Type 1s particularly need protection from flu?

Lucy

They recommend the flu jab for all people with diabetes. When you get flu it can make bg control very difficult, so it can lead to complications such as DKA which can be very dangerous if not acted upon, plus flu can lead to pneumonia which nobody would want, whether you have diabetes or not.

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
so it can lead to complications such as DKA which can be very dangerous if not acted upon ...

Perhaps this isn't yet for me. I'm Type1, but body still behavng like T2, with worst case BGs the odd 8.

Thanks, Noblehead

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Perhaps this isn't yet for me. I'm Type1, but body still behavng like T2, with worst case BGs the odd 8.

Thanks, Noblehead

You may think otherwise if you got the flu Lucy, I've only ever had it once (although like most people I would say I had flu when in fact it was just a bad cold) and it knocked me for six, was so ill and could hardly move.

Reactions: 4 people

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
You may think otherwise if you got the flu Lucy, I've only ever had it once (although like most people I would say I had flu when in fact it was just a bad cold) and it knocked me for six, was so ill and could hardly move.

I'll think and ask about that. Thanks!

Reactions: 2 people
K

koukla

I was given the Pneumonia injection as soon as I was diagnosed. Apparently, a person with Diabetes can get what is just a common cold, it can easily turn into Bronchitis and you can end up hospitalised with an acidic body (whatever that is) and very unwell indeed. Therefore I took it with no argument . I've also been having the flu jab for many years now, given the nature of my other health issues. I'm glad and I hope you all know that the flu jab is changed annually according to which type of flu they're expecting. I've not had flu since I was 21. Who's to say I would have had it if not for the jabs? Since medicine is not and never will be, an exact science, we don't know but I'll happily take the precaution.

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Booked my flu jab today and it on the last day at the flu jab fair lol .....seems the rest of the days are fully booked up