My Atkins Life

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hiya Debs,

I missed your comeback as I have been away, but better late than never to say welcome back! Well done for taking stock and jumping back on the waggon. Coming back here is the best thing you could have done. I'm sorry you have now joined the T2 club, but as someone said earlier, at least you will now be on the care pathway and get regular check ups, feet and eyes and A1c's.

Hang on in there, we are all here for you. x

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was losing weight slowly on low carb and then the holidays came and about the time the girls summer club ended, I started to go off the rails. Initially it was a little bit here and there, then it became pizza, a bit of ice cream and fish and chips.

I didn't measure carbs so have no idea what I consumed but it was a lot. I never do things by halves so it would've been huge! People were still telling me I was looking trimmer but I could see and feel I'd gained. I also had that 'I'll start tomorrow." Attitude which never helps.

So it's not surprising that my body is releasing the carb water so quickly. I think I gains about 5kg over this period - scary!

I do have body stat scales which I could hop on to see how it compares from last weigh in that was logged - maybe I'll do that tomorrow.

I just want my bg to come back down. I have a theory that if you low carb, your body gets used to that so when you do have carbs, it can't handle the carb intake at such a fast load. I think that's why Atkins recommends slowly reintroducing carbs so the body gets used to them again. I think this could be the reason for the increased bg and I hope it doesn't last forever.

I remember that horizon programme where they compared the diets of the twin doctors. I'm sure they said the low carver had made himself diabetic after they tested after the period. I think his body couldn't handle the glucose either.

Anyway it's all unscientific and just gut feel. I just wish I didn't abuse myself in this way. I'm pretty strong in everything else so it's a shame. I'm glad kids will both be back at school next Tuesday so I can really focus on my life. I can't wait!

Thanks for the interest!

D xxxx

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hiya Debs,

I missed your comeback as I have been away, but better late than never to say welcome back! Well done for taking stock and jumping back on the waggon. Coming back here is the best thing you could have done. I'm sorry you have now joined the T2 club, but as someone said earlier, at least you will now be on the care pathway and get regular check ups, feet and eyes and A1c's.

Hang on in there, we are all here for you. x

Hey titty!

I've missed you, hope hols were fun.

I've picked myself up and am doing really well now I'm on track. I think not testing didn't help - but I knew I'd be shocked so decided to be ignorant about it! Stupid.

But yes I'm back and hard at it. So far so good!

D xxx

Reactions: 2 people

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Went to a party today and was surrounded by carby party food. I was quite restrained while there but after kids were in bed, I had a cupcake....I think not eating properly for dinner didn't help in my plight against temptation.

Tomorrow is my youngest's birthday party although her actual birthday is Thursday...made cakes, big cake and all the trimmings.

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1410041356.622830.jpg

Yet another Disney theme....

Also spent the day making loom band bracelets for party bags and putting the final touches to the party bags etc.

I'm bushed so off to bed now.

I've also started on brunneria's bag order! Exciting stuff...

Happy Saturday
Deb xxxx

Reactions: 4 people

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't know where the time goes which is a good thing as it means I'll keep on the straight and narrow!

Both girls are now in school from today, although the youngest won't start full days til the 22nd. They're both loving school so that makes life a lot easier!

I've been busy formulating a business plan for a meeting tomorrow. I've no idea if it will turn out good but I'm feeling positive and very motivated. In fact I'm very positive in everything at the moment which is fabulous! I even had a fasting reading in the fives this morning so things are looking up!

Drugs are making me feel very drowsy and I'm starting to get easily confused. It's funny sometimes but I hope it doesn't get any worse.....

Atkins is still my friend. I expect the weightloss will significantly reduce from now on but that's ok, as long as bg is down. I'm finding I'm off food at the moment but no idea why. It's a good thing though. Just need to work on my water intake. There's always something isn't there?!

Deb xxx

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 6 people

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Today was the birthday girl's actual day and it was lovely. Shame her sister tried to ruin it with her diva attitude but we pushed through it!

Went slightly off piste with food but not outrageously so. She had made cookies at school so I naturally had to have not of those ;)

Had my haircut today - the first time since losing the weight. Although I don't feel any different, it was nice to walk out with new hair to go with the nearly new me. My mum topped the day by treating me to two pairs of jeans to see me through winter. I was umming and ahhing over whether I could allow myself to have them with the intention to shrink out of them over the next couple of months, but she said I deserved to have them! Bless her.

Things seem to be going really well at the moment and I don't want it to stop! I feel really content and happy right now. Had a meeting yesterday about properly setting up my own business with the bags and the advisor was super positive! It looks like I'll get the green light to progress so business plan, here I come. I wish there were more hours in the day but I'm sure I can get it all together in time for the deadline. It's so exciting, and a tad scary, but I'm not looking to make millions - I just want to do something that makes me happy and provides an income. I'll keep you posted!

So all in all, life is good.

Deb xxx

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm alive and still on the straight and narrow, just so so do busy with setting up my bag business, I've not had much time to be on here.

I've completely stuck to the diet since last Sunday's birthday cake so I'm pleased with myself. Trying to get into a proper routine with school runs, work etc but for some reason I'm not getting there. Good thing is I don't have time to think about food or be tempted, although I'm sure if I saw a Papa John's flyer that could change!

Fasting BG is still in the 6s and I'm desperate to get it back to the mind 5s again. I've not been great at testing at the same time so that could be a contributing factor.

Anyway scales are saying I've lost a teensy pound this week, however, I've moved along to a smaller belt hole so something is happening. New drugs are helping with leg pain so I'm hoping to start light arm weight training next week to speed things along. Won't hold my breath as I'm so limited as to what I can do but I'm walking lots again so better than nowt.

Hope you're all keeping up the good work!

Deb xxx

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
6.4 this morning. No idea why it's not coming down to fives again. I have been really good. Only thing I think I need to do is stop eating after 7! But I like to have my dessert on my own in peace...I'm thinking of making lunch more of a bigger deal than dinner once youngest is full time at school. At least that way, overnight fasting should lower. Who knows til I try!

In the middle of business planning right now and launching Xmas campaign for stockings! I really struggle to switch off when the girls are around. Must do better on that score too.

But all in all, pretty happy with life once again. No more doom and gloom. Well, til the ex shows up!!

D xxx

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
6.4 this morning. No idea why it's not coming down to fives again. I have been really good. Only thing I think I need to do is stop eating after 7! But I like to have my dessert on my own in peace...I'm thinking of making lunch more of a bigger deal than dinner once youngest is full time at school. At least that way, overnight fasting should lower. Who knows til I try!

In the middle of business planning right now and launching Xmas campaign for stockings! I really struggle to switch off when the girls are around. Must do better on that score too.

But all in all, pretty happy with life once again. No more doom and gloom. Well, til the ex shows up!!

D xxx

Debs - Now you are putting quite a bit of focus on your business activities, are you more sedentary than you might have been when the girls were with you all day? When I get into lots of business activity, building plans, policies or writing documents, I can get pretty welded to my desk chair. Of course, that's pure speculation on my part, obviously, but just looking for something.........

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hmmm good point. Mind you due to my back/leg I generally stand up for everything including typing on laptop!! We're walking to school more now though so that's gotta count for something....

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Happy happy happy!

Another 2 kg off. So I'm back to my pre summer weight which is good. I've not counted calories til now but think I should start to help speed things up a bit.

I felt thinner yesterday and people still compliment me which is really lovely and gives me a boost to keep me going.

Girls are driving me bonkers again. I feel like I'm losing control with them and they're not listening. All I can hear is my mum procrastinating in my head about how bad they are etc. They're not really bad - just emotional. I want them to be more understanding and reasonable. Is that too much to ask?!

On the third meltdown of the day and it's only just gone 7am. God give me strength!!!!

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yay 2 kg is brill! Well done you! Lol I'll probably be in meltdown later....I'm taking my Aunt to the doctor's today.

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I must be feeling good - I died my hair a deep red earlier. I don't know where the urge cane from but all I know is I had to do it.

Apart from my scalp being stained red, I love it! Other mums at school said it was nice too and the best thing is it will make me make more of an effort with my appearance.

I can't wait to be in skinny jeans and my boots again! I'll be strutting ;)

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Tonight I couldn't be bothered to cook so we had some pizza for dinner. I was in control and didn't go crazy so really enjoyed it. I'm in carb coma now and will probably fall asleep at girls' bedtime instead of painting bags and updating my cv which is what I should be doing!

I'm really enjoying business stuff. The guy from the enterprise company cancelled my meeting on Wednesday at the last minute so I didn't get to present my plan to him as hoped. It's set me back a week which is annoying as Christmas is creeping up on me now....

I hate red tape in this day and age....may cut out the middle man and go straight to HMRC instead! An intelligent girl like me should be able to manage to register myself...

D xxx

modesty007

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Tonight I couldn't be bothered to cook so we had some pizza for dinner. I was in control and didn't go crazy so really enjoyed it. I'm in carb coma now and will probably fall asleep at girls' bedtime instead of painting bags and updating my cv which is what I should be doing!

I'm really enjoying business stuff. The guy from the enterprise company cancelled my meeting on Wednesday at the last minute so I didn't get to present my plan to him as hoped. It's set me back a week which is annoying as Christmas is creeping up on me now....

I hate red tape in this day and age....may cut out the middle man and go straight to HMRC instead! An intelligent girl like me should be able to manage to register myself...

D xxx
The trick with pizza to stay low carb is to scrape off the topping and skip the bread bottom :p

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Back to Atkins today so feeling in control which is nice and proves a treat can be controlled.

Today is my wedding anniversary that would've been 12 years. I'm glad I only lasted 9 and can't imagine how awful it would feel if I was still married to him!

Must get more organised with my business....

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Had a really good weekend with the girls and did lots of fun stuff. Went to the park today for a picnic and conker hunt which was brilliant fun. We ended up being there for hours, then got home and girls wanted to decorate them so I joined in too!

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1411351306.223428.jpg

Was very hungry today but stayed on the good path. Did eat more than usual though so not expecting jazz hands on weigh day.

I've also discovered that if I eat my yoghurt after dinner, I don't want anything to eat in the evening so that's the plan from now on - have dessert with meal.

Back has been weird and I've woken up at 2am with a lot of pain. Hopefully just from too much exercise earlier... Physio is booked for 7th oct! Yay!!

D xxx

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Had the best BG reading this morning - 5.3 which is really good for me considering I've generally been in the 6s for what seems an eternity!

I had dessert with dinner and I think that's what made a difference so I'll continue with that from now on. I'd have thought spreading food out would be better but it's not apparently for me although I'm basing this on only one reading.

Today is my first day with BOTH kids in school full time! I can finally have space to get on with proper business planning to make myself a success. I hope pick up isn't too stressful :) the school take forever to ease the kids in so this week half the class leave at 1, while the older ones stay til 3.15. It's ludicrous but that's how they insist on doing it. So I'm sure when my one realises she's got to do a whole day, while her best mate goes home, she'll be having words with me!!

So I'm really happy with life today....!

Deb xxx

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Had the best BG reading this morning - 5.3 which is really good for me considering I've generally been in the 6s for what seems an eternity!

I had dessert with dinner and I think that's what made a difference so I'll continue with that from now on. I'd have thought spreading food out would be better but it's not apparently for me although I'm basing this on only one reading.

Today is my first day with BOTH kids in school full time! I can finally have space to get on with proper business planning to make myself a success. I hope pick up isn't too stressful :) the school take forever to ease the kids in so this week half the class leave at 1, while the older ones stay til 3.15. It's ludicrous but that's how they insist on doing it. So I'm sure when my one realises she's got to do a whole day, while her best mate goes home, she'll be having words with me!!

So I'm really happy with life today....!

Deb xxx

Well done Debs. I agree it is always best to have dessert with the meal.
As for school, what is wrong with them these days! When I started back in the dark ages, and also when my daughter started, we were all full time from the word go and it never harmed us!

Good luck with your business planning. x

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My grandad's DN told him to have his dessert with his meal and not to snack too often - I guess it gives the pancreas a bit of a breather if you aren't constantly adding more food into the mix. I must admit I usually have to leave an hour between meal and any pudding as the Metformin means I'm outfaced by too much food at one go.
Glad to hear kids in school and time is more your own x