High hba1c levels,

lily1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Can anyone tell me what I can do to improve my levels and how it can be done quickly?

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
sorry for the delay. firstly do cut out bread, potatoes asc these make them higher
do you test?

A

AnnieC

Does not seem to be many members around at the moment they must all be out enjoying the nice weather. I see you are T1 so I can't really help you but I am sure some other T1's will be along soon with some advice

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Can anyone tell me what I can do to improve my levels and how it can be done quickly?

Not sure about quickly, but if you've not already been on a carb counting course (assuming your on basal/bolus) then I would suggest you get your name down for the next available course, the following is an on-line version of the DAFNE course:

http://www.bdec-e-learning.com/

Also get your hands on the book Think Like a Pancreas by Gary Scheiner.

Reactions: 2 people

lily1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have the calories/carbs book that they gave me recently,I will look into the course.
My level was 10.2 which I so need to get down, i thought it would take a few months if not more.
Thank you

Reactions: 2 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
@lily1974

Have you had advice on how to carb count and adjust your doses of insulin to match the readings you get and the food you eat.

What insulin are you taking?

Are you swinging from low levels to high levels when you test, or are they mainly above 5.0?

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Lily, your HbA1c shows your average over a three month period, so even if you had it taken every week it would be a while before you saw an improvement.

The good news is your blood glucose levels can come down and stay down quite quickly, from the moment you start to address it. But it does take some work on your part to make it a long term situation. But this would show up on the next HbA1c that you have .

There are Type 1's that are happy to advise and share what worked (and didn't ! ) but it needs a bit more information to be able to do that. How long have you been diagnosed, and what is your typical diet ?

Signy

lily1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, my levels are up and down all the time, tonight's readings were 20.5 then 2.5hours later 3.3 machine told me to take 12g carbs which I have just taken!!

lily1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Insulin I take is Lantus solostar in morning along side Novo rapid, then novo rapid another 2 times.

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, my levels are up and down all the time, tonight's readings were 20.5 then 2.5hours later 3.3 machine told me to take 12g carbs which I have just taken!!

Hi,

Back from a lovely day away from home yesterday.

What did you eat to reach 20.5 and how did you time your bolus to cover the meal?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
To be low 21/2 hrs after eating hou are either overdosing on your correction factor or your bolus is incorrect or both...

How often are you testing? Are there reasons for going up to 20? I.e was guestimating food, always happens this time of day, didn't have. Previous jab.

The swings in your readings can be sorted but you need to post some answers..

We all want you to eliminate the seings and enjoy better health and long term prospects without complications.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

lily1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
I have been type 1 for 27 years and never really accepted it, I was the only one etc at school and all the time I felt fine I carried on with it....

I have the carbs and calorie book and what I was eating last night I think may have been wrong so I do think I took to much insulin... Today my readings have been good, this morning it was 10.5 which I took 4 units of novo rapid along with Lantus then lunch time it was 7.0 which I took another 4units as per what my machine told me to take with the food/carbs I was eating. I have seen a dietitian and they say what I eat is ok nothing to worry about.. I do go to the gym/Zumba once a week.

Maybe I have just let it go for so many years that I will never get it to what it should be and sometimes feel like giving up on it!!!

I have a meeting with the diabetic nurse on the 16th October as she only visits once a month.

Thank you for all help that everyone has replied to

AlexMBrennan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's a bit hard to make out a patterns so it would be really great if you could be a bit more precise - e.g. was the 10.5 "this morning" when you woke up/before eating or after eating? Same applies for lunch, etc. I'd also suggest testing before AND 2h after each meal (at least until we can sort this out).

If I had to make a guess, I'd say that I suspect that your basal dose is too low which leads to you having to have a correction dose with every meal.

On an unrelated note, I think that telling a T1 diabetic with poorly controlled blood sugar to eat low carb without ever mentioning that they might have to fix their insulin doses grossly irresponsible.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
On an unrelated note, I think that telling a T1 diabetic with poorly controlled blood sugar to eat low carb without ever mentioning that they might have to fix their insulin doses grossly irresponsible.

I can't see that anybody on this posting that mentioned low carbing? We have all been talking about being able to change bolus or basal or reasons for having such swings...

lily1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
At dinner time tonight my blood reading was 5.5 with the carbs/calories book it said 2units of novo rapid, I had 40g of egg pasta with chargrilled chicken, I have also been told by the nurse that I should cut out milk with my tea as the milk puts my levels up!!! Is this true as sometimes I feel they have no idea,I've been trying to get the levels down for 6 months now and they seem to go up more than down, feeling sleepy all the time, most days when I finish work I have to come home to sleep for a hour, I know it's not good and that's why I'm trying to get it sorted but don't feel I'm getting the support from the clinic,makes me feel that because I've not looked after it In the fast there attitude is get on with it!

My reading this morning and lunch time are always before I have something to eat.

I'm so grateful for the help that is being received from everyone Thank You