How long?

lck23

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Would it be a likely scenario to be non diabetic and non pre diabetes in April 2011 and then be diagnosed with full blown diabetes this year?

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello Ick. Do you mean type 1 or 2 diabetes? But I think you will find that yes it is perfectly possible. Many people are like myself in that they were totally oblivious to the possibility of diabetes and then diagnosed.

Last edited by a moderator:

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
It's possible, T2 can hit quite quickly as the pancreas suddenly decides it's had enough for instance.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Why do you think you have diabetes? From your other threads your levels are normal. You are stressing and that won't help you. Can you go back to your doctor and discuss this with him? Ask for a proper diagnostic test. It will put your mind at rest.

Reactions: 2 people

lck23

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm speaking to the diabeties nurse tomorrow to see how she thinks we should progress...

The reason I've suddenly started thinking I have developed diabeties is that back in April 2011 my fasting blood glucose was 4.6... In the time between then and now, I've lost 35 and put 20 back on, and fluctuated by about 7lb my current weight too, my PCOS has got worse and my eyesight had got worse last eye test... I hadn't noticed any other symptoms like thirst or anything because I always drink a lot... And then I've had 2 bouts of thrush (sorry to be specific) recently...

It just all got me thinking so then I bought the blood monitor and that has made me even more worried because the numbers seem in the "normal" range but at the higher end, and then when I apply the 20% error margin, the upper limit is always too high...

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I can understand your worries, but to be brutal, only your doctor can diagnose you. Please ask for some tests to put your mind at rest. Your thrush could be a result of anything. Non-diabetics get it, too, and non-diabetics also get deteriorating eyesight!

Reactions: 2 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Diabetes that comes on fast is more likely to be Late onset T1 and is often associated with weight loss. What is your diagnosis? What are your typical blood sugar readings and has the GP done an HBa1C test? I hope you have reduced the carbs in your diet to help with blood sugar

lck23

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi. Diabetes that comes on fast is more likely to be Late onset T1 and is often associated with weight loss. What is your diagnosis? What are your typical blood sugar readings and has the GP done an HBa1C test? I hope you have reduced the carbs in your diet to help with blood sugar
I have a range of sugar levels but all done with my AcuChek Aviva so I am worried that the meter is wildly inaccurate or something...

For the past week:

Average fasting is 5.4
Average 2hr post lunch is
Average before bed is

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Your range of BS as reported in your various threads are all absolutely normal. No meters are 100% accurate. We all get different readings if we take them consecutively, whether we use the same finger, different fingers or even the same drop of blood. All you can do is use the same meter all the time and average like with like, then look for trends. Your average fasting is perfect. You have forgotten to put your other averages.

You will never be satisfied until you go to your GP and ask for a diagnostic test, which you have not yet had.

lck23

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Your range of BS as reported in your various threads are all absolutely normal. No meters are 100% accurate. We all get different readings if we take them consecutively, whether we use the same finger, different fingers or even the same drop of blood. All you can do is use the same meter all the time and average like with like, then look for trends. Your average fasting is perfect. You have forgotten to put your other averages.

You will never be satisfied until you go to your GP and ask for a diagnostic test, which you have not yet had.
Strange! I thought I had written them in too!

Average 2hr post lunch 6.5
Average before bed 5.5

lck23

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
So what is wrong with those?

I have no idea..?

I think I might be worrying still because I'm having the hba1c test and a fasting glucose (done properly) but my eating has been really bad on and off the past few months... Some weeks have been good and have cut sugar out and barely eat carbs, but other weeks have been horrendous... Am concerned that the readings are at this non diabetic level because since I started testing, I've cut down on carbs and sugar again...

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have no idea..?

I think I might be worrying still because I'm having the hba1c test and a fasting glucose (done properly) but my eating has been really bad on and off the past few months... Some weeks have been good and have cut sugar out and barely eat carbs, but other weeks have been horrendous... Am concerned that the readings are at this non diabetic level because since I started testing, I've cut down on carbs and sugar again...

lck23, I have read, what feels like, a million posts by you (containing perfectly good readings) where you insist they are poor, followed by many-fold replies trying to reassure you they're perfectly fine.

Pretty much everyone on this site would love to be returning scores like yours, and are keen to support those who are struggling, but right now it feels like you're pressing and pressing for the answer you want; which is that your bloods are not normal. If you really, really want to be diabetic, you could always just act like one, and adopt the lifestyle anyway. The lifestyle changes wouldn't harm you, as you know.

But, be careful. Do you know the story of the boy who cried wolf?

I hope your doctor led tests return normal results for you, because, mush as we're a friendly bunch, this is one club you really shouldn't want to join.

Reactions: 4 people

lck23

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
lck23, I have read, what feels like, a million posts by you (containing perfectly good readings) where you insist they are poor, followed by many-fold replies trying to reassure you they're perfectly fine.

Pretty much everyone on this site would love to be returning scores like yours, and are keen to support those who are struggling, but right now it feels like you're pressing and pressing for the answer you want; which is that your bloods are not normal. If you really, really want to be diabetic, you could always just act like one, and adopt the lifestyle anyway. The lifestyle changes wouldn't harm you, as you know.

But, be careful. Do you know the story of the boy who cried wolf?

I hope your doctor led tests return normal results for you, because, mush as we're a friendly bunch, this is one club you really shouldn't want to join.
It is about a million posts, maybe a few more? I realise that the levels I have posted are in normal range but my concern now is that would on and off good/bad eating bring up the result of the HBA1C resulting in a diagnosis of diabetes, despite fasting glucose and oral glucose tolerance test being normal? When I mean bad eating I mean atrocious - lots of bad stuff that I really should have known better than to eat but was always a case of oh I'll start next week...

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It is about a million posts, maybe a few more? I realise that the levels I have posted are in normal range but my concern now is that would on and off good/bad eating bring up the result of the HBA1C resulting in a diagnosis of diabetes, despite fasting glucose and oral glucose tolerance test being normal? When I mean bad eating I mean atrocious - lots of bad stuff that I really should have known better than to eat but was always a case of oh I'll start next week...

Time will tell, as you have these scheduled. Diabetes isn't an exact science with actions and consequences well mapped out.

As you have your tests booked, I suggest you relax and wait for your reality to be revealed, rather than speculate, almost hoping for the worst.

Whatever anyon's diabetic status, atrocious diet will do them no favours, so it's up to you how lucky you feel, and where you are in the gambler stakes.

Reactions: 3 people

lck23

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Time will tell, as you have these scheduled. Diabetes isn't an exact science with actions and consequences well mapped out.

As you have your tests booked, I suggest you relax and wait for your reality to be revealed, rather than speculate, almost hoping for the worst.

Whatever anyon's diabetic status, atrocious diet will do them no favours, so it's up to you how lucky you feel, and where you are in the gambler stakes.

I'm a bit slow today and don't really understand that last bit :/ I really hope they come back normal but I still can't stop worrying. As you said, being diabetic is not a club I want to join. However , you're all very friendly and being very patient with me!

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm a bit slow today and don't really understand that last bit :/ I really hope they come back normal but I still can't stop worrying. As you said, being diabetic is not a club I want to join. However , you're all very friendly and being very patient with me!

What I meant was that eating an atrocious diet is a gamble for everyone. We all need to manage the risks we take, but you seem to unwilling to wait until the risk you elected to take runs its course. If you are that risk averse, then you should be minimising your risk by applying a control; i.e. not eating an atrocious diet.