Milled flaxseed

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
l was just looking at a manchester shop we have been to before called Unicorn they do linseed (flax) 1kg for 2.50 l think it must be un ground but would be huge savings if you can grind it.
Thanks MID, will check next time I'm passing>

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I can't be bothered with blending... Just buy milled..

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 7 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use my coffee grinder( a rather prehistoric Mouli) to grind hazelnuts for flour for making cookies, and I find that it can give mixed results - if I try grinding too fine it tends to get a bit too oily and will clog up a bit., so I'd expect that something small like the flax seed would be worse in this respect - unless someone will tell us different?

Robbity

Reactions: 2 people

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use my coffee grinder( a rather prehistoric Mouli) to grind hazelnuts for flour for making cookies, and I find that it can give mixed results - if I try grinding too fine it tends to get a bit too oily and will clog up a bit., so I'd expect that something small like the flax seed would be worse in this respect - unless someone will tell us different?

Robbity
Coffee grinder is a very good idea whether manual or electric ( you can get one for around £12.00p )
Just grind a little when you need it,:)
I know it may be a pain in the backside yet you do get a nice satisfaction and it can be cost effective.
If on the other hand you can go to the extreme and purchase one of those Vitamix machines which is the Rolls Royce of blenders,yet again cost effective for the wealthy Diabetics.:pompous:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I had another 10g this morning, just mixed in with my yogurt and berries. Yes, a bit gritty still, but not unpleasant. I will persevere, and not only is it hopefully doing me good, but it is adding some much needed calories to my diet.

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
I had another 10g this morning, just mixed in with my yogurt and berries. Yes, a bit gritty still, but not unpleasant. I will persevere, and not only is it hopefully doing me good, but it is adding some much needed calories to my diet.
And fibre, bluetit, don't forget the fibre.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
And fibre, bluetit, don't forget the fibre.

Oh I know about the fibre, that's why I have started with it. I was just musing that the additional calories will also help me! (I need to stop losing weight)

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
ohhhh love it l was way under on daily amount of seed.

So placed
40g flax
20g chia
15g hemp
And my lunch time frozen berries
into my new bought for the job container
put the cream into the seperate top section.

ldea being the water as it unfreezes makes the cream thin but this way soaks into the seeds.
pour in the cream
mix throughly bit like cement

ABSOLOUTLEY HEAVEN
l could do another round nom nom nom nom

cath99

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
rude d/n nurses and being treated like im wierd because im diabetic
i use this to bake my bread dont get me wrong its like a slab of concrete no warbys thats for sure but i love it ahahah its the small things in life eh ahah xx

cath99

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
rude d/n nurses and being treated like im wierd because im diabetic
I have 2 dspoons every day with my "porridge (not as you know it - it's oat-free)" along with 2 dspoons each of ground almonds & coconut flour. I mix it with boiling water, m'wave to thiicken it, & add double cream. No problems.
i must try that x

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I recently found another use for it, I'm currently making lots of parmesan crisps to eat with my soup, and now mix a sprinkle of flaxseed into the heaps of grated cheese before blitzing them.
Robbity

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
@ bluetit 1802.

The degree of sliminess depends a lot on the amount of water you use. I just take 50 grams of ground flax and pour 150 grams of hot water on it and stir it up to prevent lump formation. It takes a few mins to reach its maximum viscosity .You could use even less water if you want to eliminate as far as possible the slime factor. If your pepper mill can fine grind pepper then it should be just fine for the flax seeds.