How well are you maintaining your ideal weight?

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@sanguine Indeed red wine is high in calories, 120 in 175ml and no carbs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have upped my intake.

Er,................ I hate to rain on your BBQ, but red wine isn't quite carb-free:

https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sour...&es_th=1&ie=UTF-8#q=carbohydrates in red wine

Of course, it's pretty lightweight. On that page you can eve toggle through the grape varieties for your favourite, although my fave Malbec doesn't feature. In which case, maybe it is completely carb-free. ;)

Reactions: 2 people

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm within 3 kg of my initial target weight of 70 kg (10 1/2 stone) having journeyed from 90 kg. With LCHF weight loss has been steady, almost linear, since the end of March. Whilst I used to weigh less than 10 stone I don't want to go that low now as Mrs Sanguine says I will look too haggard (!).

So soon, even now, I will have to experiment with stabilisation. Increasing carbs is out, and reducing exercise is something I'd prefer to leave to a time when I have less choice in the matter. So I will probably eat more avocados, cream and cheese and see what that does. Isn't red wine high in calories?
Good going Rod. I think this thread will prove useful. Sort of a graduation thread lol. I'm still an undergraduate. ;-)

JohnD54

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rice
Good for you! I don't have the luxury of liking alcohol, especially wine.
There is always Vodka and diet soda, mine poison was always Guinness, only had 6-10 pints since June, Red wine especially a good Barolo is very goods also . No carbs in Vodka. Lol

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Er,................ I hate to rain on your BBQ, but red wine isn't quite carb-free:

https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&es_th=1&ie=UTF-8#q=carbohydrates in red wine

Of course, it's pretty lightweight. On that page you can eve toggle through the grape varieties for your favourite, although my fave Malbec doesn't feature. In which case, maybe it is completely carb-free. ;)

I prefer what it says in Carbs & Cals. ;)
Red wine - 125ml (small glass) nil carbs, 85 cals
250ml 1 carb, 170 cals.

That will do me!

this is too difficult two

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Excellent idea for a thread.

I am struggling to maintain my goal weight. I left myself some leeway because I knew how hard it might be to stop losing, and I'm glad I did because I have continued to lose even on increased calories. If you don't want to increase carbs, don't like the idea of increasing the fat any more than you already have, and are eating the right amount of protein, how on earth do you increase your calories even more?

All and any ideas welcome!
You cant. I chose fat and it worked for me.:)

1andylock

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So i got to my goal weight and have now held it for a year and let me say its not easy. If you carry on with the same diet then it will go down. It you eat more or exercise less it will go up again.
So i stopped recording everything i ate and stopped counting calories. I knew from my diet and sugar reading what i could and could not eat so i just followed my meter and ate reasonable amounts of food and weighing myself every few days have held it in check. It goes up and down by 6 pounds and i am fine with this. Bloods are great.
You have to trust yourself to do the right thing and it will work.
If you dont trust yourself then i have no answer for this. It took me 2 years to lose my 80 pounds and i'll be damned if i am going to put it back on.
There is no magic trick other than believing in yourself.

Reactions: 6 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That is very interesting, and your HbA1c is terrific too. Well done.
I also have no intention of putting my weight back on. I weigh myself almost every day as soon as I get out of bed, despite advice not to, but I find this the best way to keep it in check and I don't fluctuate up and down. I am either stable or I lose.
Note to self - believe in myself and my ability to eat to my meter! That last bit has worked so far.

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So i got to my goal weight and have now held it for a year and let me say its not easy. If you carry on with the same diet then it will go down. It you eat more or exercise less it will go up again.
So i stopped recording everything i ate and stopped counting calories. I knew from my diet and sugar reading what i could and could not eat so i just followed my meter and ate reasonable amounts of food and weighing myself every few days have held it in check. It goes up and down by 6 pounds and i am fine with this. Bloods are great.
If you dont trust yourself then i have no answer for this. It took me 2 years to lose my 80 pounds and i'll be damned if i am going to put it back on.
I think it more about what you eat .

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done, you've worked hard! :). I'm concerned that I will find it hard to maintain. When I say that I mean I'm worried I'll continue to lose weight. I think it's going to be quite a juggling act to increase the calories but not so much the carbs. I'm showing some success with increased carb intake (still only between 50 and 90g) so perhaps that will improve further. I don't want to eat too much more fat. I've reintroduced apple ... I very small one and that doesn't affect me. I've also reintroduced porridge. A portion made with 31g oats, 15g ground almonds and water took me to 6.8 then down to 5.3 at 2 hours. I may reduce to 25g oats for a while and make gradual increases. Exercise after breakfast isn't an option because I'm at work.

Keep up the good work!

Reactions: 5 people

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done, you've worked hard! :). I'm concerned that I will find it hard to maintain. When I say that I mean I'm worried I'll continue to lose weight. I think it's going to be quite a juggling act to increase the calories but not so much the carbs. I'm showing some success with increased carb intake (still only between 50 and 90g) so perhaps that will improve further. I don't want to eat too much more fat. I've reintroduced apple ... I very small one and that doesn't affect me. I've also reintroduced porridge. A portion made with 31g oats, 15g ground almonds and water took me to 6.8 then down to 5.3 at 2 hours. I may reduce to 25g oats for a while and make gradual increases. Exercise after breakfast isn't an option because I'm at work.

Keep up the good work!
I'm jealous.

1andylock

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think it more about what you eat .
But we know now what we can eat and what we cant eat. We have dieted and lost weight and our sugars are under control. So what we need to do is eat a little bit more than we don now as we want to stabilise our weight and not want to increase it or decrease it. Just eat a bit more of what we know is good for us. DONT decrease the exercise as this is not good for us. The worst thing to do is start eating like before. We have made a life style change to lose weight just keep it going but modify it to maintain the weight we have now by eating just a bit more than when we wanted to lose weight. We lost weight by following a regime of food and exercise. Keep the exercise the same adjust the food. Worse i think is to keep the food the same and exercise less.

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
But we know now what we can eat and what we cant eat. We have dieted and lost weight and our sugars are under control. So what we need to do is eat a little bit more than we don now as we want to stabilise our weight and not want to increase it or decrease it. Just eat a bit more of what we know is good for us. DONT decrease the exercise as this is not good for us. The worst thing to do is start eating like before. We have made a life style change to lose weight just keep it going but modify it to maintain the weight we have now by eating just a bit more than when we wanted to lose weight. We lost weight by following a regime of food and exercise. Keep the exercise the same adjust the food. Worse i think is to keep the food the same and exercise less.
All that seems to matter for me is carbs. I have lost nearly 5 stone in 8 months. I still cant eat carbs without my BG going too high. We are all different though.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
All that seems to matter for me is carbs. I have lost nearly 5 stone in 8 months. I still cant eat carbs without my BG going too high. We are all different though.

When you say you can't eat carbs, do you mean a "normal" sized portion of any given carb, or do you mean the tiniest amount if bread/potato/rice or whatever? And how high his too high?

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When you say you can't eat carbs, do you mean a "normal" sized portion of any given carb, or do you mean the tiniest amount if bread/potato/rice or whatever? And how high his too high?
Sorry I am never exact enough about these things 25g is about all I can eat without having a double figure spike.