Stupid CGM tricks, Vol 2

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
From the "Don't try this at home, kids!" file...

I lost my main Accuchek Mobile meter, and when I broke out the backup meter from the packaging, good as new, it was dead on arrival.
Today I got on to Roche and they confirmed the spare meter was in fact dead. They are sending me 2 new ones but it will be a few days before they get here.
Meanwhile, my spare-spare meter and my spare-spare-spare meter, both AccuChek Compact Plus, are out of strips. I've used what strips I had left over the weekend, and these strips have been off my prescription since I switched over to the new fangled, all singing all dancing Mobile.

The upshot of all this is that I have been running on CGM without calibration now for the last 24 hours and I'm likely to be doing so for at least a total of 72 hours before I get my hands on a meter. I could go into the loft and see if there is some ancient meter up there, but the strips will be years out of date and I think I had a chuck out at some point anyway. And there are spiders. :)

If I was not skint I would go and buy some Compact Plus drums from the chemist, but I am a bit Jurassic Park guvnah, as we say here up on Spikey Island.

So I suppose the Lesson Learned is either to keep 3-4 meters of the same type, or if they are multiple types, to keep multiple strip prescriptions active. We live and learn.

I'm very glad that this CGM sensor is well into its 4th week and was tracking to the fingerprick meter very reliably. Hopefully it will see me through to Wednesday or whenever the new meter shows up.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I like spiders.
Well off you go, search my loft for a meter please! I think there's one of these up there somewhere:

glucosereflectance.jpg

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Oh lucky day. I found a box of Compact Plus drums. It was under the loose floorboard, next to the shooter, the assortment of passports and my love letters from Princess Di.

Sorted til Wednesday now!

Reactions: 3 people

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
spiker I found its worthwhile having a 'car' meter along with a 'work' meter and my standard and spare meter!! i picked up one of the free contour next ones from the net and it saved my butt a few times before i kept a spare in work. :D

Reactions: 2 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
spiker I found its worthwhile having a 'car' meter along with a 'work' meter and my standard and spare meter!! i picked up one of the free contour next ones from the net and it saved my butt a few times before i kept a spare in work. :D
Agreed, I do the same - effectively have 4 meters on the go. But one was lost, the other failed, and ran out of strips for the other 2. I suppose the strategy you are pointing out is 4 *active, in use* meters. That is a better strategy.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hoorah for Roche, the 2 replacement Mobile meters arrived today - less than 24 hrs after requesting them and despite Roche not knowing me from Adam.

Reactions: 3 people

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you hadn't found any strips then would your local pharmacy would have done a test for you?
I love my G4 but 72 hours would be a long time without calibrating!

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you hadn't found any strips then would your local pharmacy would have done a test for you?
I love my G4 but 72 hours would be a long time without calibrating!
Yes I could have popped in twice a day. ;-)

They would probably have bunged me a free box of strips just to get me to ****** off! :)

Reactions: 4 people

Flowerpot

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You would have been up the proverbial creek with Medtronic CGM as you have to calibrate every 12 hours or it stops giving readings. It reminds you to calibrate 1 hour before you reach the 12 hour mark, I usually calibrate a lot more but just occasionally - usually after wine - I forget and the bleeping thing wakes me up demanding to be calibrated. Glad you found a source of strips Spiker and have shiny new meters too :)

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Glad you're all sorted now.

I would have come and whacked the spiders for you, but they're safe now till your next disaster.

Say after me: "I must not run out of strips, I must not run out of strips...." I'm sure Ive seen a post or two where people have run out, and their pharmacists has given them their strips in advance. Maybe worth checking?

Robbity