Metformin - why?

CharlotteS

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was just given the results of my recent blood tests and was told by the receptionist that all are normal but the nurse wants to talk to me about the tests and I will have to go on Metformin. If all the tests are normal, why would I have to go on Metformin? I really want to avoid meds if I can and have lost 1 1/2 stone so far thru being diet controlled. Plus I've recently gone LCHF and home blood tests range between 4.5 and 7. Seeing the nurse on Friday but wondered if anyone here had similar experiences.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What's your Hba1c like?

Ideal to be diet controlled if you can. Let them at least give you a chance to prove you can do it without meds. But if your Hba1c is high and not coming down (hopefully not true!) then I could see their point.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
what's your morning reading, if you're 7 of a morning and 4.5 before tea, metformin would be good for insulin resistance.
if your are 4.5 of a morning and 7 after a 4 slices of bread, you're fine

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
I'd wait to talk to the nurse and find out the test results. Perhaps 'normal' is still in the prediabetic range? If they are below prediabetic levels, then you should ask if metformin is really necessary and make your own decision. :yuck:

CharlotteS

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
To be honest I'm not sure. I was only diagnosed in Feb and still wrangling with all the numbers! My last full blood thingy (4 months ago) was well under the diabetic levels and the nurse was really pleased. I've not been given the results / numbers of the one I had in August yet - was will have them explained to me on Friday - but will prob be higher cos I was on holiday and let it slide a bit. What is it like on Metformin? Do I need to be worried? Is it a slippery slope towards insulin?

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Metformin supposedly helps with insulin resistance and reduces how much glucose is put out by the liver. If you low carb, lose weight, and exercise and your beta cells aren't too bad, then metformin should not lead to insulin. It seems to be doing something good for me, but it's hard to tell. No obvious side effects for me so far (a few months). :cool:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
To be honest I'm not sure. I was only diagnosed in Feb and still wrangling with all the numbers! My last full blood thingy (4 months ago) was well under the diabetic levels and the nurse was really pleased. I've not been given the results / numbers of the one I had in August yet - was will have them explained to me on Friday - but will prob be higher cos I was on holiday and let it slide a bit. What is it like on Metformin? Do I need to be worried? Is it a slippery slope towards insulin?

You can't let yourself be left in the dark like this. You need to know what your test results have been since the beginning.
Please ask for a computer print out of all your results - you are entitled to these. Once you know what they are we will help you understand them if your nurse doesn't explain properly.
Relying on nurses and doctors saying "they are fine" or "I am happy with those" is not always best. For some reason all medics seem to think we are all imbeciles, and they tend to filter out information they don't think we need to know. Also, what is "fine" for them may not be "fine" for you. Please ask for them all. If you ask you will get them.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I agree with Bluetit. If you are losing weight thru a good diet and nearing or in the good BMI range with good blood sugar then you don't need any meds. Metformin is a very safe drug which helps with insulin resistance and reduces appetite slightly; it also has some protective properties for cancer etc. Many HCPs including my nice DN recommend Metformin for it's protective properties hence I take it. It does make a very slight difference to blood sugar even when on insulin but it's marginal

Reactions: 2 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Three a day.
Got it down to one a day ... doing fine ... in fact doing great.
Time for diet only?
Yeah go for it ditched the last one .... beeeeg mistake!
Each day my BS rose and rose and .... I'm back on the Mets.
Two a day and alls well again.