When to test

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I know I have read this but can't find it now. Sorry. When is thebbest time to test during the day? I tested just before my evening meal but I think I next test 2 hoursnafterwards. Does this sound right? Thank you ;)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Mo,

If you are testing out to see what a particular meal does to you, test immediately before you eat, then at 2 hours after your first bite. You can also try testing at 1 hour after your first bite as well as 2 hours. Sometimes you will catch your biggest spike doing this. There are no guidelines for what it should be at 1 hour because everyone spikes about then depending on what they have eaten. Sometimes your biggest spike may be at 2.5 hours or even at 3 hours, again depending on what you have eaten. Nothing is set in stone, but the only guidelines we have are for 2 hours. (and that reading may be on its way down or may still be on its way up!)

Reactions: 3 people

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you Dibbles and Bluetit. This is my first proper day of testing so not in a routine yet.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
You will find a routine and don't get stressed if your readings aren't what you hoped for.

One tip. If you get a reading you genuinely think is far too high or far too low compared with your normal ones, wash your hands and test again immediately. It may have been a rogue reading. We all get them from time to time.

Let us know how you go on.

Reactions: 2 people

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
7.6 one hour after dinner. I'll do it again in an hour :)

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks Jack Ive just been reading on that lunk website you gave me and it even gives suggestions for what to order in Chinese restaurant. Thank you:)

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Am I right in thinking the quantity of food you eat can cause your bs to rise as wellnas content?

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I find that quantity can have an effect too, mainly if the food contains carbohydrates. as the more you eat of it the more carbs you consume. So always check on packets and containers, or look up values for fruit and veggies on the web.

Other things that can affect my readings, particularly the pre meal ones, are stress, feeling poorly, and sometimes the weather, e.g. the very hot spells we've had over the summer!

I try to do a fasting test when I first wake up, but only if I've not eaten for at least 8-9 hours, and I test right before I eat, and usually 2 hours after. The pre-meal test lets me see how big a spike my meal has given me - the smaller the rise, the better. If I've eaten something potentially "naughty" carb wise I will also test about one hour after eating.

The recommendations I use for guiding me are here
except I work to the after meal/post prandial level for non-diabetics, as I know that I can keep to this even though my pre-meal levels are generally in the higher type 2 range.

I also keep a record of trends (my meter can tell me what they are over 7, 14, 30 and 90 days, and I upload the data to my meter's software, so I can also see more detailed statistics). I do this because I believe that al this data gives me a better knowledge of how I'm doing over time, and this is more important than worrying over the odd high blips - I find this way I'm usually doing better than I think!!

But work out what you want from your testing, when you think you might need to test, and for what reason. It seems very complicated, but you should be able to get to grips with this with practice.

Robbity

PS SOrry about the essay!:p

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
All the above advice is aimed for T2, not on insulin, I believe.

For T1 or T2 on insulin, test:

On waking.
Before each meal.
Before bed.
2 hrs post meal/injection to check if you are going high or low
4-5 hrs post meal/injection to check you covered the whole meal (usually this test is taken care of by one of the pre-meal tests or the pre-bed test)

Reactions: 4 people

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you Robbity. You really have supplied a great deal of useful inormation. Thank you for taking the time and trouble to help me. :)

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello. Day 2 of testing. I didnt manage them all but this is what I got:
pre breakfast- 6.0
1 hour after lunch- 7.7
2 hours after lunch- 7.5
before dinner- 5.5
1 hour after dinner- 6.5
2 hours after dinner- 6.1
Do these sound ok? Im type 2. At diagnosis my resuts were 15.9 and the over 3 months 59.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello. Day 2 of testing. I didnt manage them all but this is what I got:
pre breakfast- 6.0
1 hour after lunch- 7.7
2 hours after lunch- 7.5
before dinner- 5.5
1 hour after dinner- 6.5
2 hours after dinner- 6.1
Do these sound ok? Im type 2. At diagnosis my resuts were 15.9 and the over 3 months 59.
those numbers are all good, diabetic is good at under 7.8 at 2 hr, most try lower if you can under 7 is better, like your 2 hr dinner number.

pre breakfast 6 is good, under 5.5 is normal.. diagnosis for diabetic is 7.1

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you so much for taking te time to look at these Jack and providing such useful information. Thank you :)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
They are excellent numbers Mo, well done.
It is often said that our lowest reading is usually the one before evening meal, and this is what happened in your case.
Whilst you are learning and getting to grips with all this, as long as you keep under 7.8 post meal you are doing well. You can aim for less eventually.

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello. Not a good day for testing today as I seemed to be busy. I have tested this evening more.
this morningnon waking. 6.2
45 mins after dinner- 8.5
1 hr 30 mins after dinner- 6.5
3 1/2 hours after- 5.7
I must try and do better with my timings tomorrow. :)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, it is best to be consistent so you can see trends. One hour is not essential, but can be interesting and useful. 2 hours is the main guide.
However, your numbers are good - your spike at 45mins came down nicely, just as it should. Well done.