Query about the '5-2' eating program

Ellis79

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,

I have heard a lot about the 5:2 program, and I would be interested to know if anyone who is diabetic has tried it and whether it would be beneficial, or even suitable for people like us. I am not on insulin (yet) and am thinking of giving it a try.

Thanks,

Ellis

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Any low calorie diet is beneficial, if you have weight to lose.
But you need to have a meter, test the foods you eat, and make sure nothing is spiking you.

Ellis79

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks. I do have a meter and always test throughout the day. Incidentally, I see you're on Metformin SR - have you had any side effects while using it? I couldn't take regular Metformin because it gave me diarrhea. I have a supply of Metformin SR and am wondering whether to give it a try.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
it's good for weight loss and insulin resistance, do single days spaced apart and the fasting day is still 600-800cal AFAIK
re metformin, some people can hypo symptom with inadequate dietary intake, most would be ok on 5-2,

I chose LCHF

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Thanks. I do have a meter and always test throughout the day. Incidentally, I see you're on Metformin SR - have you had any side effects while using it? I couldn't take regular Metformin because it gave me diarrhea. I have a supply of Metformin SR and am wondering whether to give it a try.

I was originally on 1000mg of Metformin, with no side effects, my doctor decided to swap it for the SR version, and cut the dose to 500mg again, no side effects.
It was cut after I lost 4 stone, on a 1200 calorie diet, and my insulin resistance decreased enough to try cutting my meds.
It would be worth trying 500mg, and seeing what you're like.